Low-carb eating: reporting in

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Robespierre

Re: Low-carb eating: reporting in

Post by Robespierre » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:29 pm

Kiralynx wrote:
My husband, 5'11" tall, with a 33" waist and a 33" inseam, eats 6000 calories a day on a desk job.

Drop him to 5000 calories, and yeah, he'll lose weight.

His idea of breakfast is 3-4 eggs, 3-4 strips of bacon, a well-buttered English muffin, about 10 ounces of OJ, and in 2-3 hours, he'll be hungry again.

I've decided that he does the eating and by a most unfair psychic osmosis, I gain the weight.

It just ain't fair that some people can eat like that.

nobody

Post by nobody » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:44 pm

Your husband is obviously a freak!
Kiralynx wrote:
nobody wrote:I don't believe that anyone (who is mostly sedentary or even getting moderate exercise) could lose weight by eating 5000 calories per day. So how big are you?
My husband, 5'11" tall, with a 33" waist and a 33" inseam, eats 6000 calories a day on a desk job.

Drop him to 5000 calories, and yeah, he'll lose weight.

His idea of breakfast is 3-4 eggs, 3-4 strips of bacon, a well-buttered English muffin, about 10 ounces of OJ, and in 2-3 hours, he'll be hungry again.

I've decided that he does the eating and by a most unfair psychic osmosis, I gain the weight.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:25 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:...Still fighting this flu. It is now bronchitis and I am on antibiotics...
Can't remember if you supp with vitamin D3, might try this, it's worked for me http://drbganimalpharm.blogspot.com/200 ... 0k-iu.html I did 50-100K per day for several days.

Groceries...got a sympathetic friend?

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:29 pm

josef wrote:...
Hmmm, yogurt, dairy, flavoring, Splenda -- all frozen together...sounds like a yummy treat.

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:08 am

Had my urology procedure done yesterday and when they weighed me I was down to 272. Can't believe how this is falling off me.

JeffH

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:26 pm

Muse-Inc wrote:
BlackSpinner wrote:...Still fighting this flu. It is now bronchitis and I am on antibiotics...
Can't remember if you supp with vitamin D3,
Groceries...got a sympathetic friend?
Yep doing the D3.

Daughter got me groceries this morning. Hallelujah, salad, chicken and chocolate.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:05 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:...Hallelujah, salad, chicken and chocolate.
Chocolate...all's right with the world!

josef

Post by josef » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:17 am

I made 1 major mistake in my calculations below. The particular bottle of Davinci that I picked up had 80 Cal with 18 Carbs. This is not a typical number. A typical number would be zero & zero. In simple words, most DaVinci Gourmet flavors have no calories. They are specifically intended for Diabetics. So if we were to take my total of 440 Cals and 72 Carbs and subtract the numbers for DaVinci out we end up with 360 Calls with 54 carbs and this is for 6 cups. The next misrepresentation I made is that by the time the Frozen Yogurt finishes swelling up, It's closer to 8 cups than it is to 6. Now if we were to look at Hagen Daz Black Walnut Ice Cream, For 7 cups, the total would be 4200 Calories with 147 Carbs. I hope all my mistakes continue to be like this one. We had Peppermint yesterday and I used Green Food Coloring. I must say, it was very very good, probably not as good at the Hagen Daz, but the differences in the Carbs & Cals are astounding. I had also purchased DaVinci Kailua which is 0 Cals & 0 Carbs and I use a little in my coffee in the morning. I won't even bother to look up the cals & carbs for the real thing.
2 cups Yogurt=18 carbs per cup and 120 calories. = 36 Carbs & 240 cals total for recipe.

1 ½ cups milk= 12 Carbs per cup and & 80 Calories =18 Carbs & 120 cals total for recipe.

¾ cup Splenda= 0 Carbs & 0 Calories.

2 tbsp Davinci=18 Carbs & 80 Calories total for recipe.

The entire contents comes to 6 cups with a total of 440 Calories and 72 Carbs. Compare this to the same amount of Blue Bell Vanilla which totals 2160 Calories and 252 Carbs. Everyone’s gas millage varies of course but personally, if I consume much over 120 Carbs per day, I get high blood sugar readings.

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:37 am

Robespierre wrote:It just ain't fair that some people can eat like that.
Nobody wrote:Your husband is obviously a freak!
He just has a high metabolism. Oh, and he also maintains that he is not out of shape. He was never in any shape to get out of!

<deep sigh>

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

MoneyGal

Post by MoneyGal » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:36 pm

KiraLinx: I am married to a very similar partner. I think, when I tell people, that he and I eat the same diet, that they don't believe me.

New thought from me: I'm now 2 weeks in. No weighing yet (I am a bit worried about weighing in. What if I have not lost any weight?!)

But more than that: I skipped breakfast. Then I had about 8 cashews around 11 a.m. Now it is 1:30 and I thought...perhaps I should eat something.

I am SO freaked out by not being hungry. It is so not my natural state. Also, I had ALWAYS thought that intermittent fasting would be basically impossible for me. I tried a one-day fast once, a few years ago, and nearly keeled over from a headache and irritability. (This is long prior to my OSA diagnosis.)

Last night I ate a taco skillet recipe (no actual tacos) from my low-carb cookbook. It was 5 p.m. I'm now more than 20h later with no hunger pangs or food cravings.

I guess the proof of the pudding will be in the weighing. We'll see how I do. I do FEEL amazing. And I'm feeling my way through this.

rubymom

Post by rubymom » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:50 pm

Just thought I'd pass along this blog - she share recipes that are low glycemic index--primarily aimed toward South Beach Diet users. Good stuff here. http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:58 pm

MoneyGal, The fact that you feel so great is proof enough that this way of eating works. I'm slowly working my way into the LC life style, not there yet, but for sure my IBS symptoms have lessened just by eliminating the white stuff, sandwich on only 1 sl of good WW bread, just half sweet potato on some days, more veggies instead,V8 juice instead of OJ,more salads,etc, and I feel somewhat "lighter" with a little more energy, so I'm following your thread with great anticipation. Well done!

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

Muse-Inc

Like Red Cabbage?

Post by Muse-Inc » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:05 pm

Slice 1/2 head red cabbage thinly
Slice 2 med onions a little thicker than the cabbage
Melt 3 TBSP coconut oil in large saute pan, add veggies
Sprinkle with 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon of garlic pepper (to taste)
Stir & turn until veggies are coated with oil
Add ~1/3 cup chicken broth, cover, and simmer until desired doneness (crispy -- soft)

PS the juice stains horribly, be forewarned!

TSSleepy

Post by TSSleepy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:14 am

I put up a new video showing comparisons of me before low carb and now. You can really see the changes after only 8 weeks (and 37.6 pounds lost).

If yer interested -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK9ZubK4yJs

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:20 am

TSSleepy wrote:...
Congrats, great progress! Have you seen your 90thcentile pressure drop yet? Took about 45#s loss for that to start for me but I still have a lot of wt to lose.