Low-carb eating: reporting in

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Huffer

Re: Low-carb eating: reporting in

Post by Huffer » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:26 pm

Apple cider vinegar lowers the glycemic levels of any food eaten with it so it works out good for my diabetes.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
Winston Churchill

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:09 pm

I'm waiting my cook books to start the low card diet but I have some concerns about the high amount of fat the recipes I see.

For sure those sausages should be delicious but does it makes any good to somebody who has high colesterol or triglycerides ? I have never been able to eat fatty food I become dizzy in one second or have diarrea.

Please could somebody explain me the mistery?

Thanks

rosacer

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:29 pm

rosacer wrote:....have some concerns about the high amount of fat the recipes I see...sausages...but does it makes any good to somebody who has high colesterol or triglycerides ? I have never been able to eat fatty food I become dizzy in one second or have diarrea.
My LDL has dropped about 60 pts and my total cholesterol is down to where it was before apnea made a mess of my blood chemistry. Plus, my LDL which is still high enough to make some docs choke, is the large fluffy sort that's safe (because it's so large, it takes up more space and is 'scored' accordingly). On a low carb diet, TC, TRIs, and LDL rise for the first 14 days or so as the body adjusts its enzymes to burning fats instead of sugars (all carbs are broken down into their 'sugar' components), then drop sometimes quite dramatically. BTW, coconut oil normalizes cholesterol levels: if too high, it will reduce TC; if too low (<160, called the stroke zone), it raises them...interesting effect.

If you have problems digesting fats that is independent of having cholesterol or any other lipid problem; you should be taking something that helps digest fats, like lecithin. I could be that limiting yourself to healthy saturated fats will fix the seeming inability to digest fats: healthy fats are those from tree nuts, olive oil, coconut oil (make sure it's the kind that melts at 72 degrees), palm kernel oil, avocado, the fats in meatsm eggs, and fish. Avoid all other veggy and seed oils not only are they hard to digest, they just aren't healthy for us. If you

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

TSSleepy

Post by TSSleepy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:59 pm

rosacer wrote:For sure those sausages should be delicious but does it makes any good to somebody who has high colesterol or triglycerides ?
I had my bloodwork done 6 weeks after switching to a low carb diet. My cholesterol dropped 16% and my triglycerides dropped 33%. Excess carbohydrates can get turned into triglycerides and packaged in cholesterol by your liver.

I personally am very insulin resistant, so my muscles don't take up blood glucose and my liver doesn't convert it to glycogen very well. So when I eat carbs, way too much of the glucose (and almost all of the fructose) probably gets turned into triglycerides for delivery to adipose tissue.

I think of the effect of carbs passing through your liver like blowing bubbles with one of those circular wands. If you blow slow (representing a slow flow of carbs), you get big bubbles (representing HDL and big fluffy LDL). But if you blow fast (representing a lot of sugar flowing through your liver), you get LOTS of little bubbles (representing the small dangerous LDL and the VLDL).

Most people I know who start eating fat and really cut out their carbs, has a great reduction in cholesterol and triglycerides.

But if fat causes indigestion, that may be something specific for you to worry about. I've never had that issue, so I've never read up on it. I swing the other direction, slow-digesting carbs (beans, whole grains) give me nasty bloating and gas, if I'm not careful. So I don't eat them anymore!

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:04 am

rosacer wrote:I'm waiting my cook books to start the low card diet but I have some concerns about the high amount of fat the recipes I see.

For sure those sausages should be delicious but does it makes any good to somebody who has high colesterol or triglycerides ? I have never been able to eat fatty food I become dizzy in one second or have diarrea.

Please could somebody explain me the mistery?

Thanks

rosacer
There has been a misrepresentaion (flimflam) of cholesterol by big pharma (whooda thunk it? ... was listening to a report on NPR just yesterday of how Obama made secret backroom deals with big pharma giving them their own secret mega-$$$ bailout in retrun for supporting healthcare reform).

Anyway, here are a few links showing the mistery of NON-correlation between high fat diet and CVD -

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2 ... heart.html
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstrac ... v1?papetoc
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19751443

As for your reaction to eating fatty food ... I have no answer. A question though is, have you ever had your gall bladder removed? ... it is essential for properly digesting fats.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:35 am

rosacer wrote: For sure those sausages should be delicious but does it makes any good to somebody who has high colesterol or triglycerides ? I have never been able to eat fatty food I become dizzy in one second or have diarrea.
I started the first of the 3 Food threads just because I was looking for help with Cholestrol as I didn't want to do the drug thing. It should help a lot - if only I can be healthy enough to get out and do grocery shopping.
I have started simply by cutting out bread, potatoes and rice.
After I got the low carb book I realized all my older cook books had great recipes in them, especially the ones that focused on regional ethnic cooking or historical recipes.

I have to watch the fatty foods too - melted cheese like a fondue is like taking a big swig of exlax! Which is funny because i can eat the same amount of cheese un-melted with no problem. There must be something about the melting process that changes the fats involved. I still have all my organs except for my ovaries which generally don't get involved in digestion.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:05 am

Thank you for the answerds Muse-Inc, TSSleepy, DreamStalker and BlackSpinner.

Thankyou guys you inspire me with your determination. I need a lot of inspiration

TSSlepy I watched your youtube video, thanks it's great.

BlackSpinner you made me laugh, because that's exactly what can arrive to me if I eat too much greasse. I have had problems with fatty food since I was a 10 years old. I have all my body parts LOL, hope for ever.

There is a restaurant here in Montreal ( vey well known and not bad) who works as an exlaxs to me and for an old coworker friend of mine too. That problem haven't arrive for long time now that I have been surveying the fatty food. I imagine we have a lower capacity to digest fat.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:52 am

Well the cafeteria in my building has removed temptation from me. They used to have 2 daily specials some of which were tasty - some were referred to as road kill specials. Now we have the choice of some reheated pizza, some re-heat chicken from a local chicken place, pre made sandwiches or the salad bar.
They also raised the price of coffee by 25 cents.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

pappapronta

Re: Low-carb eating: My personal report

Post by pappapronta » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:38 pm

I switched to a 'paleo' friendly diet and exercise program in late 2006, and the results were amazing. (see picture) I lost close to 30 pounds (factoring in the gain of about 10 pounds of muscle that's a net loss of 40 lbs of body fat), and I feel great. Unfortunately for me my sleep apnea is due to upper airway resistance and inflammation, so the weight loss didn't help all that much.

For those who are interested, it's a really simple set of lifestyle adjustment:
  • 1. Avoid starchy foods (from pasta to potatoes to cereal to rice) - our bodies/metabolism predate the development of agriculture
  • 2. Exercise HARD for at least 20 minutes (but no more than 40 minutes) 3x per week.
  • 3. Record your weight daily and chart your progress
That's it. Sounds simple, and it is with a little motivation and discipline. Keeping a chart that shows the long term trend is the key, as the changes are very slow at first, and can be masked by daily fluctuations (for example, the salt in a serving of chips and guacamole can make you retain enough water to bloat you by 4 lbs the next morning). A very good explanation is at the Hacker's Diet http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/www/hackdiet.html. Once you have a good long term trend going it has a momentum of its own.

On the workout side, if you're not completely gassed at the end of the workout you haven't worked out hard enough. If you work out too frequently (>4 per week) or too long (>40 minutes) you are damaging your body's machinery, lowering your immune resistance, and will feel needlessly tired and hungry. Avoid jogging/biking/gym machines - do things our ancestors would have done - lift, sprint, throw, climb - in other words http://www.crossfit.com

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:20 pm

I made the astounding realization today that what ever I used to like on sandwiches works very will either on top of a salad or as filling for an omelet. And finally I can use enough salad dressing to make salads taste good.

The omelet has become the equivalent of a wrap for me. And I love omelets, I was depriving my self of omelets because of the eggs and fat content. They are so quick and easy to make too.

sleepycpa

Post by sleepycpa » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:06 pm

FYI. I had a co-worker on a low-carb diet for 2 years and developed diverculitis. It may be due to other factors but I can help to think she was missing sufficient fiber in her diet. Just my own un-educated medical opinion.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:09 pm

sleepycpa wrote:FYI. I had a co-worker on a low-carb diet for 2 years and developed diverculitis. It may be due to other factors but I can help to think she was missing sufficient fiber in her diet. Just my own un-educated medical opinion.
My dad has that too and he never was on that diet. Great lover of his potatoes and bread.

Ghoov

Post by Ghoov » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:55 pm

Hello to other SA and LC folks here. I've been low carbing since 2003 and sincerely believe in this way of eating. I joined this forum recently when I was diagnosed with SA and have been using my machine for around a month and am really happy with how much better I feel.

From the days when I had a LC Forum, I had compiled some recipes and put them up on a blog when I shut my site down. Some really good recipes there - enjoy!

http://lowcarbtransformationrecipes.blogspot.com/

Hope to read more from the low carbers here.

Ghoov (Cathy)

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:32 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:I made the astounding realization today that what ever I used to like on sandwiches works very will either on top of a salad or as filling for an omelet. And finally I can use enough salad dressing to make salads taste good.

The omelet has become the equivalent of a wrap for me. And I love omelets, I was depriving my self of omelets because of the eggs and fat content. They are so quick and easy to make too.
If you have a good crepe pan, you can make crepes with beaten egg and use them to wrap stuff for a "sandwich" as a change of pace.

You can also take the crepes, roll them, and thinly slice them on the diagonal to get "noodles" which go great under various sauces.

Peeled zucchini can be turned into noodles, also, raw or cooked.

Last edited by Kiralynx on Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- Kiralynx
Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Joe50

Post by Joe50 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:21 am

Hi all, just thought I would throw this little trick out there if anyone is using the keto-stix in order to see if they are in a state of ketosis. When I used them I would take a pair of scissors and cut them long ways in half, so if you get a bottle that has 50 in it you then have 100. It doesn't contaminate them and you just get more.
And no, I didn't run with the scissors afterwards. I was tempted but I didn't.