POLL Adjusting to Therapy

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

After starting therapy, my sleep in comparison to pre-treatment: (ck up to 6)

Did well in the 1st wk getting better each night
30%
Same for awhile but gradually got better
10%
Worse for awhile but eventually got better
8%
Worse and never got better
3%
To get really restful sleep, I had to:
8%
Graduate to a more complex xPAP
7%
Change masks
22%
Fix congestion problems
9%
Change prescription drugs
2%
Fix my limb movements
1%

Total votes: 292

Muse-Inc

POLL Adjusting to Therapy

Post by Muse-Inc » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:40 pm

For those interested.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

TSSleepy

Re: POLL Adjusting to Therapy

Post by TSSleepy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:18 am

I didn't have any major deal breakers, but I needed to make the following three changes to get "comfortable".

I had to move to an APAP. A pressure of 10 wasn't good enough to keep my AHI low all night, but a pressure of 12 all night had me belching air in the morning. APAP 10-12 was just right.

I needed a different full-face mask to get a better air seal around the bridge of my nose.

I needed to get off lysinopril (blood pressure medicine), because it gave me a nasty tickling cough (which is no fun when wearing a pressure mask).

thewetlizard

Post by thewetlizard » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:52 pm

First of all I had a hard time getting use to wearing something on my face. Then having a hose restricting my movements. I refused to wear my CPAP for the first couple of months, then I decided at the begining of 2010 I forced myself to start wearing my CPAP every nite. Now it's not so bad.
stop the bull the cow is dead!

Geminidream

Post by Geminidream » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:21 pm

I jumped right in and decided to be as compliant as possible....then about 3-4 weeks in, I had the "mysterious mask removal" during the night. Guess it took my tired brain a few weeks to figure out I did not like something on my face at night while I sleep....LOL. With perserverance, its gotten better.

Scarlet834

Post by Scarlet834 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:01 pm

Had two key needs:
1) Change masks. My nasal mask did not fit without leaking. I've done very well with the Swift LT for Her.
2) My pressure needed changing. Until that happened my AHI didn't get below 18.

I also added a chin strap to combat mouth leaks, but 1 and 2 were the deal breakers. I did feel different, but not functional, the first week so I didn't feel any of the answers really fit.

torontoCPAPguy

Post by torontoCPAPguy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:58 pm

My experience was likely similar to many, namely:
(a) My most major improvement in sleep came with finding a mask that was comfy and fit well, the Mirage Activa LT Large Wide and in fact I fell asleep trying it on at home and slept like a log for a few hours.
(b) I upgraded from a ResMed S8 Escape II to an Autoset II and found a noticeable improvement although the mask was the biggie.
(c) I am finding that getting used to the experience improves my sleep day to day (some good days and some bad days thrown in for good measure);
(d) I discovered through the members of this board that I could be my own advocate and am working to keep track of my own numbers and understand their meaning and am grateful;
(e) I discovered through the members of this board that I could comfortably wear my hosehead gear while I have a cold (it's just about gone guys!), that it was generally safe and that if I cranked my heated humidifier up as high as I could stand it that my sleep would improve. And it did. Boy did it ever! My nasal congestion and chest congestion virtually disappeared and I lost NO sleep from congestion, awoke with little congestion, and only had to deal with phlegm and the like later in the day as it was thinned by the hot humid air and went 'somewhere' at night while I slept.
(f) Discovered that there is virtually no way to clean a CPAP/APAP/XPAP from odours such as cigarette smoke that leave a film and that such film on sensors can destroy a blower in a blink. Am still looking for a solution to the problem although I no longer need it myself it might make a pretty good business.
(g) Learned more from the members of this board than from all the MD's, respirologists, sleep clinics, etc., that I have been visiting since getting out of hospital in July after almost a month on life support from H1N1.

Lots more. But that'll give you the idea. Adjusting to therapy has been an ongoing process and it gets better with passing time.

Fall colours. One of God's gifts. Life is fragile and short, savour every moment no matter what your problems may be. These stunning fall colours from my first outing after surviving a month on life support due to H1N1.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:19 pm

After dealing with migraines and environmental allergies and menopause and learning all sorts of coping mechanisms and relaxation techniques I was determined to make it work from the first because I wanted my life back.

It worked from the first night on. No headache that first day! I did have the waking up in the middle of the night with the panic attack of "I can't breathe" but I knew how to deal with it from previous health issues.

For me it has been the easiest medical therapy I have ever done. Compared to migraine and allergy therapies it is a breeze.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Debjax

Post by Debjax » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:48 pm

torontoCPAPguy wrote:My experience was likely similar to many, namely:
(e) I discovered through the members of this board that I could comfortably wear my hosehead gear while I have a cold (it's just about gone guys!),
I found that I now get fewer colds also....but had a pretty bad bout of a broncho-pneumonia last fall. When I went to my sleep doc last month, he was "concerned" because my average pressure was a bit above the 8 I have been prescribed....and wanted to get my machine checked out (I have CPAP, not APAP). I told him the machine was fine, that the increase was probably due to the fact that I increased the pressure to 9 and then 10 when I had pneumonia so I could get enough air at night, and then dropped it back to 8 when I got over the pneumonia. He just looked at me funny for a minute, started to say something, stopped, then went on to the next subject....

I'm still hot....it just comes in flashes...
iMob Friend Code - 179-961-093

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:42 pm

Debjax wrote:...When I went to my sleep doc last month, he was "concerned" because my average pressure was a bit above the 8 I have been prescribed....and wanted to get my machine checked out (I have CPAP, not APAP). I told him the machine was fine, that the increase was probably due to the fact that I increased the pressure to 9 and then 10 when I had pneumonia so I could get enough air at night, and then dropped it back to 8 when I got over the pneumonia. He just looked at me funny for a minute, started to say something, stopped, then went on to the next subject....

gasp

Post by gasp » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:54 pm

There needed to be another choice, change mask multiple times : )

RJazz117

Post by RJazz117 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:16 pm

None of the poll options fit me at all.

I had exactly one good night's sleep, and woke feeling rested and energized. That was the first night I used my CPAP machine, over a year and a half ago.

Since then, I wake much as I did pre-therapy: exhausted, feeling stoned, and feeling as if I had never slept. I fight the urge to sleep all day, every day, and mostly win (thank you 5-Hour Energy) but failing once could cost me my job.

I have changed from the nasal mask, to the nasal pillows, and back to the nasal mask, and had my doctor increase my pressure to 8cfm. While the pressure increase was most likely warranted, none of the changes have had any effect on my next-day-exhaustion.

Now, my doctor wants to test me for narcolepsy, and I can't afford the full day test.

At this point, I think I may need a different machine (perhaps BiPAP?) or some other treatment.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:41 pm

RJazz117 wrote:...
If I were you & could afford it, I'd buy the ResMed AutoSet II (from our host is the least expensive way) and home-titrate...lots cheaper than another test! IMHO (hosehead to hosehead) , it sounds like the pressure is not stopping apneic events. This seems to be the best way to approach our therapy: Get the right machine-->Get the right mask, the one you'll wear all night & doesn't destroy your face-->Find the right humidifity level for you-->Collect data-->Control leak-->Get the right pressure or pressure range-->Tweak pressure for optimal results. Without restful sleep, something is not right. How are your numbers? Leak?

https://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/resme ... chine.html

Last edited by Muse-Inc on Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:45 am

Muse-Inc wrote:
If I were you & could afford it, I'd buy the ResMed AutoSet II
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/resme ... chine.html
I'm in RJazz117 camp on this one. I have trouble reading the sunday comics, much less a novel. I keep hearing good things about the AutoSet II. Does it detect centrals/period breathing, etc.? What makes it better, say than the SandMan Auto?

happysleeper

Post by happysleeper » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:42 am

I'm in the never got better mode still. On my worst days I wake up tired, on my best days I wake up with 3-4 hours of think-able time. This is greatly lessening my quality of life and work. I realize that with my machine my numbers may not be as bad as they look, but the exhaustion is still present, so I'm still adjusting things around. But I've only been using CPAP since 10/09, and I'm determined to make this work. I seem to be educating my sleep doctor; I've visited him x2 since I started therapy.

I'm still getting an average AHI of 9.4, and an average AI of 1.2. These seem to be the best results that I can get; I've titrated myself to 9.2 air flow, with no EPR and a 5 minute ramp from 7-9. I can usually sleep 8 hours with my OptiLife nasal pillows. Things which may be contributing:

Still sleeping on my back. My shoulders and back hurt when I sleep on my side, even with lots of supporting pillows and a memory foam mattress cover.

I may be loosing air through my mouth. I use a mouth guard because I grind my teeth, so my jaw is shut, but occasionally I wake to find my lips leaking air.

Next steps: getting a chin strap today. I have very sensitive skin and thus far masks have been not workable for me. Considering a hybrid mask if this doesn't work.
See if I can borrow an oximeter for a couple of nights
Get better software so I can more clearly correlate hypopneas/apneas with sleep position.

Any suggestions from the masters?

Happy Sleeper

gasp

Post by gasp » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:21 pm

Muse-Inc wrote:
If I were you & could afford it, I'd buy the ResMed AutoSet II (from our host is the least expensive way) and home-titrate...lots cheaper than another test! . . .
Our host being: https://www.cpap.com