problem getting seal with thin, unpadded face

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Cosette

problem getting seal with thin, unpadded face

Post by Cosette » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:21 pm

Is there anyone out there who has a thin face with practically no padding under the skin who can get a good seal on a FFM? I've tried many masks but can't get one that is reliable for not leaking. One night it may work fine, then not work at all the next.

OutaSync

Re: problem getting seal with thin, unpadded face

Post by OutaSync » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:36 pm

I can't even get a FF mask to stop leaking for a minute, let alone a whole night. I've put on 20 pounds since starting CPAP. Unfortunately, none of it went to fill out my face.

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:09 pm

I also have a thin face, and I have a difficult time getting the full face masks to seal. I have to wear the bottom straps so tight with the full face masks that they pull my jaw back, causing more apneas when I'm in the supine position. I really wanted the full face mask to work too! It looks like I'll probably be sticking with nasal pillows/nasal masks + chin strap.

~ DreamOn

fellow apneer

Post by fellow apneer » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:22 pm

I tried FFM unsuccessfully, it would wake me with a loud blowing noise when it broke the seal from my face. I tried tightening the straps, but that was also not working, I found out that while sleeping, my facial expressions were changing and causing the leaks? So right now using I am using a nasal only mask.

MamaJo

Post by MamaJo » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:18 am

You know, I never thought about it, but maybe that's why I get a good seal on my FFM........ thanks to my chubby cheeks! Knew they'd come in handy for something one day!

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:16 am

Have you considered looking at children's masks?

Joe50

Post by Joe50 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:58 am

I have gone from a top weight of 320 six months ago down to 249 as of this morning and my face has gone through several stages during that time. Sometimes it seemed like it was changing on a weakly basis so I was having to come up with a new stop the leaks plan each week. Then I discovered the Mack's silicone ear plugs. I make a complete circle around the mask each night and it keeps my AHI at or around 5 which works for me. Sometimes it goes up a bit because as I have shrunk I have started sleeping on my stomach again. Don't ask me how I do it using a full face Quattro but I do it and it is great.
My face is now pretty thin and unpadded but I am still having to cope with leaks caused by facial changes so I will keep using the silicone plugs until I get to my goal weight of one-eighty. Then I will try for a permanent fix/fit after another titration. I am hoping I might be able to throw the mask away or at least go down to an under 10 pressure.
Maybe you should try the Silicone plugs. They are a bit messy to get off the seal each day and it is harder to clean the seal throughly but they work, or at least in my case.