Cyber Attack & Swan Song.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
josef

Cyber Attack & Swan Song.

Post by josef » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:01 am

I joined this group not all that long ago and for the most part have discovered some very well educated, caring and helpful people. On the flip side, I’ve discovered some incredibly ignorant, insufferable Bullies. Lately I made myself a target and these Bullies are having a field day at my expense. When I joined this group, one major discovery I made is that the software for the CPAP machines is not readily available and in some cases purposely not made available to the public. I’m not a wealthy man, but I’m certainly not poor, so, I started buying borrowing, begging for these software packages which I cleaned up to the best of my ability and after much research, placed on what I considered the most reliable safe transfer site. I then posted the links on CPAP.com and immediately got numerous PM stating that this was not a good idea, please take it down and just advise people that I could supply them these links by PM. I’m sure they were right and it was a great mistake on my part. I also made the big mistake of supplying my private E-Mail address in case they needed added help. The amount and volume of Hate Mail that began was simply astounding. For all I know, it could simply be and quite possibly is a single individual with multiple accounts. But he repeatedly informed me if I didn’t take the links down at the transfer site and quit supplying them that I would be truly surprised at the Hell that would be unleashed. He was right about that. I was simply astounded at the viciousness, tenacity and depth of the attack. I made another mistake when I posted a topic about this cyber attack. It seems like if I hadn’t been downloading “sicko child rape films” I wouldn’t have found myself in this position. Others stated if I would just buy an Apple this would not have happened. I’ve certainly been judged and found wanting. My intentions are to shut down my account forever. I want to thank the many, many people who gave me such helpful gracious advice. I believe that I have supplied my links to enough people through PM that the work won’t be lost. To all the Bullies out there, you won this round Dudes. Hope you sleep better at nights. That’s about all I’ll ever say on this subject ever again.

Josef
[/quote]

Paul254

Re: Cyber Attack & Swan Song.

Post by Paul254 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:22 am

Josef

Thanks for everything you contributed to this community.

You will be sorely missed.

Peace,

Paul

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:18 am

There are options in most email programs/providers to block accounts. I use Yahoo for instance. When I get that crap I simply flag the email as spam and that account never shows up in my in box again. I can also block it totally.

Yes there are lots of jerks out there who take pride in bullying people. Sometimes the internet feels more like some badly run highschool. There are also people around who take pride in defeating these bullies. Look around your peer group for someones grand kid who would be proud to help you and look a hero in your eyes.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:45 am

Here is my view on things. Take it for what it is worth.

When you give in to the bullies of the world, you give them exactly what they want. Power.

I have been the target before, needless to say it isn't fun and can be down right hurtful. It is a shame a select few single out ones to target -- typically it is the same ones that do the attacking. Think of them as spoiled children, nothing more.

I, for one, wish you would reconsider and stick around. Don't let the cyberbullying get you down. Know that you are the bigger person and won't stoop to their level. Keep your chin up and know that there are those on the forum that need your help.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:58 am

Ditto. I posted on one of your other threads the same thoughts.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

jules

Post by jules » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:16 am

You received a cyber attack. So what? They happen all the time.

You posted links to pirated software. You use pirated software.

Now who is the guilty one here?

Grow up Josef.

Scarlet834

Post by Scarlet834 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:45 am

I just wish PR would hurry up and create viewer software. It's not like most of us wouldn't buy it if that was an option. I know I would.

jules

Post by jules » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:15 pm

Yes viewer software would be nice.

Have I ever pirated software or gotten crack codes / patches for games? Well yes I have.

Do I have any on my computer right now? No

Do I have any on my husbands' computer (he gets my hand me downs)? Well there are traces of some there but they are disabled I hope and not in use.

Have I ever been the "victim" of a cyber attack? All the time. I have even gotten them from someone I encountered on a apnea site that I have shared information with (visited their personal site).

In having pirated things I accepted the consequences of my action. However, I would never dream of openly posting a link on a public board or on a commercial site.
I then posted the links on CPAP.com

Jersey Girl

Post by Jersey Girl » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:03 pm

Dear Josef,

I am fairly new to CPAP and the forum, and although, I'm sure I don't know the "whole" story, it seems to me your intentions were only to help, and you were mistreated. I am so sorry about that. Please know that there are always going to be some unkind people out there in the world that may treat us unfairly, perhaps even cruelly, but I have found so many kind, caring, helpful people on this forum and I think it would be kind of sad to let one or even a few unkind people cause you to leave. Please, reconsider.

Jersey Girl -

Happiness is from the heart out, not the world in.

Paulrp

Post by Paulrp » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:44 pm

Josef, Do not give in, Do not give up, just learn from this miserable experience, I doubt that your computers infection had anything to do with your posting a link to a download, but more likely to a simple click on a dialog box. I know many people who have been infected lately,, and have spent a lot of time cleaning up thier computers. Also, buying a Mac is not the answer.

Good Luck, Paul

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:40 pm

josef wrote:For all I know, it could simply be and quite possibly is a single individual with multiple accounts. But he repeatedly informed me if I didn’t take the links down at the transfer site and quit supplying them that I would be truly surprised at the Hell that would be unleashed. He was right about that. I was simply astounded at the viciousness, tenacity and depth of the attack.
Josef,

Please don't go. Don't let them win.

I am not privy to what you experienced in the personal messaging system. I would certainly contact Johnny or Carolyn about it if you feel you have been attacked personally in any way. All posts include IP information that Johnny can get a web guru to track and decipher who might have attacked you, and perhaps either ban them or warn them. I have not been victim to the kind of attack you're talking about, and I cannot know what you've been through. I am sorry for you that you have had such a misfortune and hope your care in backing up your system has served you well.

I don't doubt that there are some evil people in this world. I keep hoping that perhaps an extraordinary set of circumstances has caused what looks like an attack to happen, but the way you've posted, I get the impression you've received things like photographs of yourself at a shopping mall with your family through the PM system, or something equally telling or invasive. Name calling is one thing. There are levels of rudeness. But if you're receiving anything so disturbing that could be construed as threats to your life or your well-being, you should go to the police as soon as possible.

There are many good reasons for torrent clients like 'utorrent' to exist. For instance, if you need the latest version of Ubuntu in iso format, it's free to download legally, and a torrent manager allows you to do that quickly and efficiently. In fact, most ISP's prefer the latest version of utorrent for its better traffic management. And there are many free, reputable torrent download sites. However, downloading illegal torrents was a subject bound to come up on this board sooner or later. Explaining in detail how to steal software on a public forum is generally frowned upon for a number of reasons.

One of the main reasons for not posting direct links of this type publicly is out of respect for the forum owner. Consider - if the forum owner leaves the post up, or simply doesn't see it for a few days, it might be construed by the company hosting said domain that the owner of the domain name (and hence the forum) condones illicit software acquisition. Some hosting companies are pretty testy about what they'll allow you to put on a website. I've seen domains go down (not mine) for simply having rude words appear in a friendly forum like this. Bluehost is a good example of a hosting service that has been known to do this. Hosting companies have it worded in their contracts that they can dump a domain contract for any number of half-baked reasons.

Another reason is that publicly advocating illicit activities can open you up to investigation. Unless they used rude words, it is possible that some people pm'ed you to suggest you remove the post links because they don't want anything to happen to you personally, like getting charged with stealing software, simply because you told someone else how to do it. While there are some irascible curmudgeons on this forum, I can scarcely believe anyone here would actively harm others. I would not be surprised if there are lurkers who never post publicly, but do submit questionable personal messages. I would be surprised if some of those lurkers are paid by software makers to watch and and terrorize our friendly forum. I think it's more likely that industry members closer to the patient - perhaps some deluded respiratory therapist who thinks they're doing the 'big companies' a favor by terrorizing illegal downloaders - are the culprit. Ironically, it was probably a robin-hood respiratory therapist or sleep doctor who seeded the illegal torrent in the first place. Balance is inevitable, eh?

The truth about this kind of piracy may be more complex than you realize. The software creator may not really care or have the time to pursue illegal downloads. Making possession of unpaid-for proprietary software illegal covers their butts if someone decides to do it. If a patient uses the software and tries to sue them for faulty software implementation, the manufacturer can say, 'We don't allow patients to use this software. We're not at fault.' On the other hand, if they were to try to sue illegal downloaders, the backlash could set new precedent about medical software the company may not want to face: the possibility that keeping the best available software out of the hands of patients is akin to withholding blood-sugar meters from diabetics - a potentially and immediately life-threatening situation that could actually backfire and cause one person or an entire class action to win a major medical suit against the software maker. No major medical firm wants that kind of negative attention. It might become a viral and persistent news story akin to the plot of the movie Miracle on 34th Street.

Currently, the 'monetary-vampire' system is in full swing with regards to xPAP and the burgeoning sleep industry. Every step involves paying more money to some professional until patient funds are exhausted. If the system itself came into very harsh public light as a result of someone stealing the equivalent of diabetic supplies, the whole system would have to be thoroughly and publicly re-invented so that patients actually get better therapy at the loss of extra dollars to therapists, distributors and makers. They prefer the system as it is because they make more money that way. They know it won't last forever, but they're cashing in now while they can.

torontoCPAPguy

Post by torontoCPAPguy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:57 pm

Geez Josef:
I completely misread your posting on cyberattacks and came back with suggestions on how to prevent infiltration of your computer. Sic. It never entered my mind, not even remotely, that anyone on this board would have a bad word to say about another. This is a board of common sufferers and FRIENDS. I have bared my soul on this board and I have received more help on this board than I ever would have thought possible or would have imagined.

I urge you to reconsider and stick around. I believe there is a feature to essentially ignore postings and PM's from certain members and in any event I rely heavily on the spam filter between my ears and beg you to do the same.

I am sure that along the road I have taken benefit from your particiaption in this group and I would truly hate to see you depart. In fact, I would go so far as to suggest that if we were to take a poll it would be the collective desire of this group to 'disengage' any member who is a downer or spews vitriole.

Again, I thank you for what you have done for me personally (whether you know it or not) and I urge you to reconsider. Turn on the spam filter and ignore the crap.

Be well. Sleep well.

Murray in Richmond Hill

Fall colours. One of God's gifts. Life is fragile and short, savour every moment no matter what your problems may be. These stunning fall colours from my first outing after surviving a month on life support due to H1N1.