O/T 70 pounds down in 6 months while on the mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Joe50

O/T 70 pounds down in 6 months while on the mask

Post by Joe50 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:30 am

Down from 320 to under 250. I can do normal people things again and it's getting better everyday.

Julie

Re: O/T 70 pounds down in 6 months while on the mask

Post by Julie » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:44 am

Fantastic! Wonderful, just make sure you have a good maintenance program so it lasts.

rosiefrosie

Post by rosiefrosie » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:10 am

WOW! That is very impressive. Congrats.

rosie

Joe50

Post by Joe50 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:37 am

Julie wrote:Fantastic! Wonderful, just make sure you have a good maintenance program so it lasts.
That is always a possibility but I have three friends that have also lost over 100 pounds and have kept it off. I talk to them allmost on a daily basis.
I have also bought all kinds of nutrition, diet, and exercise books that have given me lots of mental strength plus lots of strategies for getting to where I want to be. I bought most of my books at a used book store and some of them date back to the 70's. I figure spending 3 or 4 dollars for a book that might give me just one coping strategy is money well spent.

Joe50

Post by Joe50 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:38 am

rosiefrosie wrote:WOW! That is very impressive. Congrats.

rosie
Thanks

TXKajun

Post by TXKajun » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:12 am

Congratulations, joe! WOWZERS!

Any tips you'd care to share would definitely be welcome.

Kajun

Joe50

Post by Joe50 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:34 am

TXKajun wrote:Congratulations, joe! WOWZERS!

Any tips you'd care to share would definitely be welcome.

Kajun
Another person Pmed me and and asked that question so I will just post my answer to that person. I am not a great writer so tell me if I don't explain it very well. There are some parts that I left out but it is the gist of what I do.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Do you feel the cpap has a direct coralation to enegry levels
Yes, I was a total mental and physical wreck before I started cpap. It took about 2 weeks before I started feeling better and able to function. That thing about repaying your sleep debt is real and you have to do it. Most people fail at it because they start feeling better and then start staying up longer which puts them back in debt, So they never get to where they need to be. Sleep as much as you can when you are first starting out.

As far as my diet. I found an old email address for the guy named Matt who won on The Biggest Loser. He was nice enough to tell me how many calories they actually took in per day as opposed to what they tell us on the show. 1400 to 1600 hundred cals, Low fat, Medium carbs. I don’t really worry that much about carbs and usually stay around 150 to 200. The carbs that I do eat are all of the healthy variety, Fruit, Brown rice, Veggies, etc.
Every Thursday I weigh myself in the morning then multiply that times 15 and then I have that many calories that day. I do this because it supposedly fools the body into thinking it is not dieting so it does not go into starvation mode or cause plateaus.

Workout. I do heart healthy cardio before breakfast everyday except on the days I work legs. My weight workout is one body part per day which looks like this, Legs, Shoulders, Back, Chest, Arms, and 20 slow motion crunches after each workout. I know for a fact that starting working out has given me more energy and has helped my mental attitude 100%. I think that is one of the biggest factors that keeps me motivated. Getting stronger everyday is a great motivator.

My workout equipment. Walking to the top of the Hill from Hell on good weather days and a treadmill on the bad days. The hill from hell is just a little ways from my house.
My weight equipment is a Soloflex that I bought for ten bucks, plus some dumbbells and resistance bands that I picked up for about 50 bucks more. Not fancy but it works.

Also, read as much as you can about what you are up against with the cpap, the dieting, etc. It really helps if you become a walking encyclopedia about each aspect.

roster

Post by roster » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:38 am

Congratulations.

Your post is definitely not O/T for this forum.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

TSSleepy

Post by TSSleepy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:03 am

Congrats!

Judy R

Post by Judy R » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:09 am

Wow Joe! That's fantastic!!!! You've made some really awesome progress. Keep up the great work!

fidelfs

Post by fidelfs » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:05 am

Yes, CPAP has a correlation with energy levels, If you are not sleepy then you could do more activities.

In my case the energy levels are more in sync with my thyroid function. I have hypothyroid so it does not matter if I have great night sleep nights but I have problem with my medication, I feel bad, no energy, sleepy, mental fog, etc.

If I have good night and good thyroid medication, I am superman. I can do anything.

Bob3000

Post by Bob3000 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:53 am

Excellent work, Joe. Has your xPAP pressure changed?

Joe50

Post by Joe50 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:25 pm

Bob3000 wrote:Excellent work, Joe. Has your xPAP pressure changed?
My AHI was all over the place before I started dieting ( usually in the severe range). In fact, I am actually ashamed to say what it was because I just accepted it as part of what I considered to be my slow downhill slide to death before I started to fix my life six months ago. That before life consisted of a lot of beers each night.

Most of what I did in the way of staying healthy was done to keep me drinking my beers and over eating. If something went bad medically I slowed my drinking long enough to get it well or find a pill that fixed it then I started over again. It was the same with the sleep apnea. The machine gave me a way of staying awake long enough to drink my beers and enjoy junk food.
My AHI usually stays around 5 now and sometimes lower. My biggest problem now is my face. I went from a fat face to a very wrinkled face, then to a somewhat wrinkled skinny face. It seems to change each week so I use lots of macks silicone ear plugs to fight the leaks. I hope to get retitrated when I reach my goal of 180. I also need to have a hernia fixed but my doctor said it would be hard to make a good fix on it until I was a lot lighter.

Not really sure if that answers your question.

grady61

Post by grady61 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:58 pm

Joe50 wrote:Down from 320 to under 250. I can do normal people things again and it's getting better everyday.
I too have lost weight even had edema, and the doing normal people things is huge. I had edema, couldnt wear normal shoes ,now im sportin around in a pair of new balance and it does feel good. GO GETTEM JOE

Joe50

Post by Joe50 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:30 pm

grady61 wrote:
Joe50 wrote:Down from 320 to under 250. I can do normal people things again and it's getting better everyday.
I too have lost weight even had edema, and the doing normal people things is huge. I had edema, couldnt wear normal shoes ,now im sportin around in a pair of new balance and it does feel good. GO GETTEM JOE
Good for you! And yes it is fun getting to do normal things again.