ResMed Swift LT vs. Swift FX

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
akeegan

ResMed Swift LT vs. Swift FX

Post by akeegan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:29 pm

Anyone have any experience between the ResMed Swift LT and the new Swift FX? Comfort, sealing, etc. I just got a new LT and am having some problems with it. I've been using medium pillows, but intend to try the large tonight. Leakage is okay; I'm having some irritation inside my right nostril when I sleep on my right side. Maybe I'm pushing the pillow to deeply into that nostril? I will try running the leader hose up to the head clamp to see if that helps. I've also read some old threads about a difference in manufacture between the older and newer LT pillows. Is that still an issue?

Mainly, since I haven't seen much about the FX yet on this forum, I was wondering what y'alls opinion of it was.

Thanks,
Al

DreamOn

Re: ResMed Swift LT vs. Swift FX

Post by DreamOn » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:07 pm

This recent thread has quite a bit of user information regarding the new Swift FX nasal pillows mask: viewtopic/t49772/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48934. There are other forum threads that discuss it too.

That'll at least get you started in researching that mask. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds very promising! It's on my wanna-try list.

Cosette

Post by Cosette » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:26 pm

I have been using the Swift Lt with good results, except mouth leaking even with the large white chin strap. I am now trying the Swift FX with a smaller, soft, chin strap. The angle of the pillows gives a very stable seal: absolutely no leakage there. The hose for the FX hangs down for me rather than over the top of the head with the Lt. The FX arrangement is less intrusive for me, especially when reading in bed with it. The head gear works well for me-not too bulky. I can't use any nasal pillows more than two nights in a row due to sores inside nose. The full face masks hurt the bridge of my nose so I get by, sort of, by alternating nights between the pillows and full face. I get my best AHI numbers using the nasal pillows, both Lt and FX.

mindy

Post by mindy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:14 pm

I have both LT and FX (and also Swift II). The LT didn't work well for me ... never could get it so it was comfortable and didn't leak too much. The FX is so nice and light, easy to adjust and although it can leak, it's much easier to adjust to work well ---- for me anyway.

Mindy

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
--- Author unknown

YawnGirl

Post by YawnGirl » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:47 pm

mindy wrote:I have both LT and FX (and also Swift II). The LT didn't work well for me ... never could get it so it was comfortable and didn't leak too much. The FX is so nice and light, easy to adjust and although it can leak, it's much easier to adjust to work well ---- for me anyway.

Mindy
Mindy,

Is the exhaust any better on the FX? I hate the exhaust on the LT, sometimes it reflects against a pillow and hits me in the face!

Paula

- Eleanor Roosevelt

silver123

Post by silver123 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:33 pm

The FX is quieter and the exhaust points more down than the LT. Of course, it can still bounce off something and blow back on you but I have not noticed that right back into my face effect. It is also extremely light and very unintrusive. As a side sleeper, it stays in place better than any other mask I have tried. Leaks are right where they are supposed to be for the mask ratings.

silver
Don't be afraid to go out on a limb.
That's where the fruit is.
- H. Jackson Browne

Ms.Snuffleupagus

Post by Ms.Snuffleupagus » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:46 pm

I am still getting leaks with this mask while sleeping with mouth taped. I do not get the same high leak rate with my Opus. I have fiddled with the adjustments of the mask. I think I need the extra small pillows, although the rest of my nose is anything but small.

Mebake

Post by Mebake » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:55 am

I have the swift LT and I love it. It took about a week to get use to it. I think it probrobly saved my C-PAP therapy. That being said I was at an open house and tried on the Swift FX and it was like wow the fit was great and light weight and hose was very flexible and light. It seem to strech like a slinky. I was so impressed I went home and ordered it and even paid retail. It has yet to arrive i will let you know how I make out. As for the LT i would recommend starting each night with a clean pillow and not making the straps to tight.

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:08 am

Mebake wrote:As for the LT i would recommend starting each night with a clean pillow and not making the straps to tight.
In my experience, clean nose and clean nasal pillows are ciritcal for leakless therapy with nasal pillows masks. When I started using Dr. Bonner's liquid soap nightly on nose and pillows there was immediate improvement in seal.

I had used baby wipe, bayby shampoo in the past, but the liquid soap was much much better.

O>

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

tattooyu

Post by tattooyu » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:51 am

Just used my Swift FX for the first night. I like it a lot. I could not get it to leak AT ALL even on my sides. The flatter profile of the pillows has less surface area on the sides, so there's little to no pressure points when on your side. The only leak I had was from mouth-breathing -- PAPcap wasn't on right -- and even that was minor (0.06 L/s).

As a user of the Swift LT, which I loved, this Swift FX is shaping up to be a great mask. I'll post again in a week.
Sleep well and live better!

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:38 am

tattooyu wrote:Just used my Swift FX for the first night. I like it a lot. I could not get it to leak AT ALL even on my sides. The flatter profile of the pillows has less surface area on the sides, so there's little to no pressure points when on your side. The only leak I had was from mouth-breathing -- PAPcap wasn't on right -- and even that was minor (0.06 L/s).

As a user of the Swift LT, which I loved, this Swift FX is shaping up to be a great mask. I'll post again in a week.
What are the pillows like on the FX? I'm being forced to find another mask other than my LT because of the newer clear style pillows that just seem to collapse on me.

mindy

Post by mindy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:44 pm

The pillows on the FX are double-walled and the exhaust is downward. If I snuggle my comforter under my chin, the exhaust air will hit it. It doesn't bounce back but it is noisier so I don't pull my comforter up quite as far.

I always wash my nasal pillows in the am and my face before I put on mask.

Mindy

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
--- Author unknown

tattooyu

Post by tattooyu » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:26 pm

The pillows themselves are almost identical, but the base is different. Much lower profile, which doesn't stick out as much. I think that really helps for side-sleeping, so you don't have a pressure point on the sides.

The pillows don't snap into the base like the LT, they are part of the soft silicone base that attaches to the sides of the mask. Check out the pics and vids on https://www.cpap.com.
Sleep well and live better!

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:02 am

tattooyu wrote:The pillows themselves are almost identical, but the base is different. Much lower profile, which doesn't stick out as much. I think that really helps for side-sleeping, so you don't have a pressure point on the sides.

The pillows don't snap into the base like the LT, they are part of the soft silicone base that attaches to the sides of the mask. Check out the pics and vids on https://www.cpap.com.
Interesting. My main beef with this mask is you cannot attach the hose to the top of the headstrap so you can have the hose go up and over your face while sleeping. Also i'm getting the S9 which will have a temp sensor at the end of its 6 foot heated tubing and with this mask i adding another 1 foot or more of naked tubing which might result in rain-outs again.

I've recently purchased the Mirage Micro Nasal, ComfortFusion Nasal and a Comfort gel nasal masks in attempt to find a replacement for my Swift LT.

susiebeth

Post by susiebeth » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:19 am

I Just got my FX today. I have not slept in it, But I did spend time trying it out before I decided on it. It is very light, almost like wearing nothing. No leaks.

I look forward to sleeping tonite.

Susie