OT: Skechers Shape-ups

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
roster

OT: Skechers Shape-ups

Post by roster » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:57 am

http://myshapeups.com/

What is with these? Any significant benefit?

They make a lot of claims about what they do for you, but walking with any decent pair of shoes will also improve all of those things - posture, back strength, glutes, thighs, calf muscles, etc.

I saw a lady stocking shelves at the grocery store and wearing a pair. She did not look too comfortable in them.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

dave21

Re: OT: Skechers Shape-ups

Post by dave21 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:07 am

They've been advertised on the TV a lot in the UK recently and although they're supposed to give you better arch support (that's what I think they're for) they do look really uncomfortable. Although I suspect they're not when you wear them.

Shoe manufacturers alway say that flat shoes with no arch support give your feet bad design and make you over time walk differently. Don't know how much truth there is in this.

Babette

Post by Babette » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:16 pm

Latest word is that it's all hype. I bought a pair of flip flops a year or so ago that were guaranteed to give me a shapely ass. Nada.

Save your money. If you want to lose weight, eat less and exercise more.

LOL,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:01 pm

Rooster, they might not work, but they would go great with your ladies stockings!
roster wrote:http://myshapeups.com/

What is with these? Any significant benefit?

They make a lot of claims about what they do for you, but walking with any decent pair of shoes will also improve all of those things - posture, back strength, glutes, thighs, calf muscles, etc.

I saw a lady stocking shelves at the grocery store and wearing a pair. She did not look too comfortable in them.

Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

Banned

Post by Banned » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:02 pm

roster wrote: but walking with any decent pair of shoes will also improve all of those things - posture, back strength, glutes, thighs, calf muscles, etc.
and keep you bent forward at a constant 10 degree list, but let's face it, the the rakish 10 degree list still looks good!
roster wrote:I saw a lady stocking shelves at the grocery store and wearing a pair. She did not look too comfortable in them.
Are you sure you weren't leering at her?

These:
http://www.swissmasai.com/CountrySelection.aspx

and a CPAP should cure anybody.

I own 8 pair.
AVAPS: PC AVAPS, EPAP 15, IPAP Min 19, IPAP Max 25, Vt 520ml, BPM 10, Ti 1.8sec, RT 2 (Garage)
BiPAP Auto SV: EPAP 9, IPAP Min 14, IPAP Max 25, BPM 10, Ti 2sec, RT 2 (Travel Machine)
VPAP Adapt SV: EEP 10.4, Min PS 4.4 (Every Day)
Mask: Quattro

tillymarigold_

Post by tillymarigold_ » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:46 pm

I have a pair of MBTs which are the same sort of idea (and they're what Banned linked to). They're called negative-heel shoes. Other brands are FitFlops and Earth shoes and there's also some sort of Reeboks that do the same thing.

If I walk a truly extraordinary amount in them (like 5 miles or more per day), then yes, there is a visible difference. Otherwise, no.

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:52 pm

Saw a supposed investigative report on this type of shoe, comparatively looking at which muscles were used, and it determined they are not much better if at all, and in some respects worse, than other athletic shoes.

Banned

Post by Banned » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:19 pm

tillymarigold_ wrote: If I walk a truly extraordinary amount in them (like 5 miles or more per day), then yes, there is a visible difference. Otherwise, no.
I used to have to walk with a cane as a result of knee surgery in '92.
I haven't used the cane since I bought my first pair of MBT's 2 1/2 years ago.
Made me a believer.
Hence, I may be the Amelda Marcos (Sp) of MBTs.
AVAPS: PC AVAPS, EPAP 15, IPAP Min 19, IPAP Max 25, Vt 520ml, BPM 10, Ti 1.8sec, RT 2 (Garage)
BiPAP Auto SV: EPAP 9, IPAP Min 14, IPAP Max 25, BPM 10, Ti 2sec, RT 2 (Travel Machine)

roster

Post by roster » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:49 pm

My house guest told me at dinner that they operate on the same principle as a balance board and are very unstable. He tried on a pair at the store and talked to the sales rep a long time.

Banned, if they are as unstable as a balance board, I would be afraid of injury going from knee surgery and a cane to a pair of these.

Regarding the Earth Shoes, I remember the hippies wearing these in the sixties. The Earth Shoes had a negative heel but were stable because they did not have that "rocker" in the middle of the shoes like the MBT and Skechers.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

Banned

Post by Banned » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:02 pm

roster wrote:My house guest told me at dinner that they operate on the same principle as a balance board and are very unstable.
What Your dinner guest meant to tell you was they operate on the principle of walking on sand. MBTs mimic the instability of walking (barefoot) on a sandy beach.
roster wrote:Banned, if they are as unstable as a balance board, I would be afraid of injury going from knee surgery and a cane to a pair of these.
You walk differently in MBTs. You step down on the center "sensor" of the shoe and rock forward for the step. You also take shorter steps than walking in regular shoes. And you keep your head up, eyes looking ahead.

The instability makes your feet and upper and lower leg muscles work automatically to compensate for the instability. The result is you end up perfectly erect and your core is perfectly centered as you walk. It's extremely low impact and provides an extremely stable stride.

Possibly the reason MBTs worked to eliminate the cane for me is because when you step out in MBTs, the upper and lower leg muscles keep the knee stable and centered with each step.
roster wrote:Regarding the Earth Shoes, I remember the hippies wearing these in the sixties. The Earth Shoes had a negative heel but were stable because they did not have that "rocker" in the middle of the shoes like the MBT and Skechers.
And earth shoes, like hippies, disappeared relatively quickly. MBTs maybe around for awhile.

Skechers are johnny-come-lately MBT 'knock-offs'. I would never wear them.

gasp

Post by gasp » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:07 pm

I think if any new product works miracles it will be common place very quickly. I haven't seen one person in them : )

Banned

Post by Banned » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:18 pm

gasp wrote:I think if any new product works miracles it will be common place very quickly. I haven't seen one person in them : )
LOL!! Can't argue that.

I'm only too happy that someone must be buying them (besides me) because they are still on the market.

MBTs have never been advertised to eliminate the need for a cane. Just my experience.

I still watch people with normal shoes, walking and standing with that 10 degree forward list, thinking to myself, "That's gotta hurt, and they don't even know it".

roster

Post by roster » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:03 am

Banned,

You give a very convincing testimony for MBTs. I will try them on in the store.

I am thinking about using them for casual wear.

Athletically, I run mountain trails and wear trail shoes which have a low profile (thin sole). The lower profile puts the foot closer to the ground and helps prevent ankle turns on rough, boulder-strewn trails. By contrast, it would seem the MBT type raises the foot and might cause a great tendency to turn the ankle on rough terrain.

It will be interesting to see what happens to MBTs in the U.S. You might think that a similar product at a much cheaper price has arrived and will make a dent in MBT sales. But it could be that the Skechers draw attention to this type of shoe and sales of MBTs to "shoe-snobs" (I am one ) skyrocket.

Zappos is a good internet source of shoes. They ship free and if you get the wrong size they pay for return shipment.

http://www.zappos.com/mens-mbt-shoes

http://www.zappos.com/mens-mbt-shoes

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:09 am

Babette wrote:I bought a pair of flip flops a year or so ago that were guaranteed to give me a shapely ass.
I'm no expert, but I think they're supposed to go on your feet...

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

roster

Post by roster » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:24 am

Don't forget other parts of the wonderful female anatomy.
Are your boobs wearing the right shoes?

Now that the ass is 28% more toned and thus getting all the attention, the boobs are jealous.
http://www.salon.com/life/broadsheet/fe ... reebok_ads