Do dental devices cause teeth to move?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
newname

Do dental devices cause teeth to move?

Post by newname » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:53 pm

I'm afraid of this happening because my front tooth seems to have moved from the mask pressing against it. I have crowns on my teeth and wouln't want them to loosen. I wouldn't want my teeth to move. I seemto think dental devices would act like braces and move the teeth. Has anyone noticed this?

Julie

Re: Do dental devices cause teeth to move?

Post by Julie » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:48 pm

The vast majority of people here use Cpap, which is what the forum's about, so you may not get a whole lot of replies. If your teeth are bothering you, your dentist may be able to help, or... why not try Cpap, known to be the most effective way to treat apnea.

Mtnviewer

Post by Mtnviewer » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:21 pm

The custom made device that I had made by a dentist caused my teeth to move & my bite to change, which is not pleasant for a variety of reasons. The dentist had me sign a waiver warning me of this before he would start any work. Desperate for relief from fatigue & not knowing what the repercussions of tooth movement & of a changed bite, I signed the waiver. I now regret doing that. While I had been warned, I did not nor could not know of the outcome's effect on me without experiencing just how bad it might get. Fortunately I stopped advancing the device before things got really bad, but my once perfect bite was now changed to an under bite. Brutal. And the Dentist didn't want me to stop the advancement despite the tooth movement & bite change, which was easy for him to say.

Jaw advancement devices I think will will cause more movement as the jaw is moved forward. If your dentist made your device I'd think that you would have been told of this possibility, if not, you should take it up with your dentist. I don't know how off the shelf devices work to cause tooth movement but once they become hardened in the mouth, I guess they could act like braces.

I MUST stay off my back to reduce OSA & snoring. I use a small backpack of solid styrofoam to keep me on my side (tennis balls too small), & use DIY customized soft foam pillow to keep my head in a side sleeping position to eliminate most OSA.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:02 am

Julie wrote:The vast majority of people here use Cpap, which is what the forum's about, so you may not get a whole lot of replies. If your teeth are bothering you, your dentist may be able to help, or... why not try Cpap, known to be the most effective way to treat apnea.
Julie...You mis-read newnames post. She IS using CPAP. She is concerned that her mask is moving her teeth. She is consideriong the dental device.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:35 am

You're right... sorry.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:48 am

You can get a device which will keep your teeth in place. Many people who wore braces use them at night to keep the their teeth where they belong.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:09 am

If your mask is pushing against your teeth, your mask is probably incorrectly positioned, the wrong size, or you need to shop for another mask. I used to have the same problem with my Hybrid. I tried the various cushion sizes that came with it. Finally, I cut off the chin cup of the mouth cushion that fit best, and now the mask sits correctly on my face and my teeth are no longer being pushed in. Of course, that particular fix won't work with the activa lt.

newname

Post by newname » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:04 pm

The lower portion of the LT presses against my top lip and teeth. I can't figure out how to stop this. The forehead part seems to be too far awayfrom my forehead. I keep adjusting the straps, but no luck. I also find that I get a headache when I put the mask on. Its right where the forehead piece would rest, but it's not pressing hard on my forehead. Does getting theis headache mean I'm not getting enough oxygen?

jennmary

Post by jennmary » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:14 pm

The liberty made my lower front teeth hurt so bad I wanted to cry every morning. Within 2 weeks my lower teeth had started to shift....I switched masks. The FFM also started shifting my lower teeth, but not as quickly. Now I use the Swift LT....no more teeth issues. The dental devices, from what I have heard, can cause dental shift. Though if the mask is pushing teeth back, and the dental device pulling them forward...maybe it would even out?

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:44 pm

newname wrote:The lower portion of the LT presses against my top lip and teeth. I can't figure out how to stop this. The forehead part seems to be too far awayfrom my forehead. I keep adjusting the straps, but no luck. I also find that I get a headache when I put the mask on. Its right where the forehead piece would rest, but it's not pressing hard on my forehead. Does getting theis headache mean I'm not getting enough oxygen?
No mask should cause dental movement. And headaches can mean you're probably having large leaks. The mask is very likely an improper fit. Please, please, please: Get fitted for a different mask. If your face is particularly small, you may need to be fitted with a child's mask.
jennmary wrote:The liberty made my lower front teeth hurt so bad I wanted to cry every morning. Within 2 weeks my lower teeth had started to shift....I switched masks. The FFM also started shifting my lower teeth, but not as quickly. Now I use the Swift LT....no more teeth issues. The dental devices, from what I have heard, can cause dental shift. Though if the mask is pushing teeth back, and the dental device pulling them forward...maybe it would even out?
I gave up trying the liberty after three days. I brought it back to the DME and made them exchange it for an Ultra Mirage Full Face.

newname

Post by newname » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:11 pm

My face is round and chubby so I don't know what type of mask to get. Nasal pillows make my mostrils burn, so those are out. When I first discovered the Activa Lt, I thought it was the most comfortable mask I ever tried. I don't have a small nose so I doubt a small would fit.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:37 pm

newname wrote:My face is round and chubby so I don't know what type of mask to get. Nasal pillows make my mostrils burn, so those are out. When I first discovered the Activa Lt, I thought it was the most comfortable mask I ever tried. I don't have a small nose so I doubt a small would fit.
When in doubt, go for a full face mask. They tend to be less large-leak prone. The two most common 'go-to' masks in the full face range are the Ultra-mirage Full Face (UMFF) and the Quattro. I use the UMFF, and I do not have a round face, but rather more oblong. There are generally two camps of fit: you're either a UMFF fit or a Quattro fit, but usually not both. Since my face is more oblong, and yours is more round, I'm wondering if you might be a candidate for trying the Quattro. It might be good for a few quattro users to give their suggestions, as I have not used that mask. Perhaps you could have the opportunity to try both? Masks really are a personal thing. Once you find the right one, you'll know. I wish you the best of luck.