frustrated

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
KC5cychris

frustrated

Post by KC5cychris » Tue May 11, 2010 3:34 pm

It has been 3 weeks since I was in to the sleep center for titration. I have yet to hear from my GP it just seems like a very slow procecess. I do have an appointment for Friday, but I would have thought that he or his nurse would have called by now. It is a Military clinic, so I guess they are busy but frustrating non the less

Chris

titrated pressure 10 current setting 12/15.5 autopap

REMEMBER THOSE WHO SERVED
ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL

roster

Re: frustrated

Post by roster » Tue May 11, 2010 3:53 pm

Sorry about that.

I found a long time-line in the private sector also. I just broke through it by demanding answers to my questions and getting on waiting lists for cancelled appointments and then calling twice per day to see if there were any cancellations. It cut the time way down to something reasonable for me.

But the military might be a different animal.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Tue May 11, 2010 4:12 pm

Welcome, Chris. I'm not sure how it works within the military clinic, but my guess is that your doctor will be discussing your treatment options with you during Friday's appointment. Use this time to educate yourself about sleep apnea and learn about the different machines available. You will want one that's fully data capable, so you can track your progress and troubleshoot any problems. Here's a list of machines: viewtopic.php?p=307168#p307168. Avoid the machines typed in red because they only report the hours of use, which is not helpful. The machines typed in blue are capable of reporting data, such as leak rates, AHI (average apnea-hypopneas per hour) and AI (apnea index).

I suggest that you call the clinic before your Friday appointment to ask what the procedure will be to obtain your machine. Ask if they will be issuing it there, or if you will need to visit an outside durable medical equipment provider (DME). If the equipment is clinic-issued, find out if there are any choices. Write down the specific name(s) of their machine(s) so you can research them ahead of time. If you'll be getting your equipment through an outside DME, find out which local companies are covered by your insurance (Tricare?) and start to research which in-network DME company may be the best choice.

Getting a proper-fitting mask can be most challenging. Be sure that you try masks on under full pressure, while lying down. Move around and test for leaking.

Start to learn about sleep apnea and CPAP therapy. A good place to begin is the "CPAP Wiki" at the top of your screen. Lots of good information can be found by searching forum posts too. If you have any questions, be sure to ask. There are lots of helpful people here who can help.

I hope you'll let us know how things go for you.

Paul254

Post by Paul254 » Tue May 11, 2010 5:05 pm

Chris

I'm retired military, enrolled in Tricare Prime and use a military medical facility in Mississippi. My PCM ordered a sleep study in Nov 09. I was dx with sleep apnea after a split night sleep study at the local VA sleep clinic. I had a followup appointment with my PCM 3 weeks after the sleep study. She wrote a RX for "CPAP and all associated equipment" with my titrated pressure. She provided a list of TRICARE network DMEs. I contacted and faxed my RX to a DME on the list. The DME was at my home the next day with my CPAP, humidifier, and two masks (full face and nasal). The DME has been phenomenal. I have a number to contact the DME RT directly. I feel like a new person after three months of treatment. Tricare covers 70% of allowable costs (not DME billed charges). Tricare also provides and additional 10% allowance for using a network DME. Initial setup cost to me was about $300.

I hope you do well with your treatment.

Paul
USAF Retired

KC5cychris

Post by KC5cychris » Tue May 11, 2010 5:30 pm

Thank you all for the input.

I have been doing my home work, have a list of questions and have even been to the Tricare receptionist and recieved a list of DMEs in network and the other paper work that the PCP has to sign off on.
I spoke to several DMEs and even worked out with one that would obtain the equipment that I want data capable and all
then I have just been waiting the sleep clinic, part of a local hospitol clinic system, said 2 weeks we are past week 3.
I made the appointment that is coming up Friday to attemp to push the issue a bit and atleast get some kind of input from him. The Best case will be that hge has recived the information and I will be able to get the script. The worst I guess will be more waiting

This all started over 2 months ago back to early Feb. for the PSG then mid Apr for thr titration. Just seems to be dragging out is all.
the most energetic that I have felt in a while was the day after the titration I put in a 20hour day and still felt good. hope this is to be the norm, not the 20hr days but the energy that I had.

Chris

echo

Post by echo » Tue May 11, 2010 5:36 pm

Sorry to hear about the delay Chris. I don't have any additional words of wisdom to help you get them to move their butts....

However I can provide you with some reading to help you pass the time, to help decide what machine/features, APAP vs CPAP, etc
wiki/index.php/CPAP_Machine_Choices
wiki/index.php/Reasons_to_Use_APAP_-_A_rebuttal

Good luck! Welcome to the world of the hoseheads
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Tue May 11, 2010 5:51 pm

KC5cychris wrote:Thank you all for the input.

I have been doing my home work, have a list of questions and have even been to the Tricare receptionist and recieved a list of DMEs in network and the other paper work that the PCP has to sign off on.
I spoke to several DMEs and even worked out with one that would obtain the equipment that I want data capable and all
then I have just been waiting the sleep clinic, part of a local hospitol clinic system, said 2 weeks we are past week 3.
I made the appointment that is coming up Friday to attemp to push the issue a bit and atleast get some kind of input from him. The Best case will be that hge has recived the information and I will be able to get the script. The worst I guess will be more waiting

This all started over 2 months ago back to early Feb. for the PSG then mid Apr for thr titration. Just seems to be dragging out is all.
the most energetic that I have felt in a while was the day after the titration I put in a 20hour day and still felt good. hope this is to be the norm, not the 20hr days but the energy that I had.

Chris
Wow, you're on top of it all, Chris! I'm impressed!!!

I've been using CPAP for over six months now. I feel great! I hope you have good results too. It can take some time to work things out, but it's definitely worth it!
Last edited by DreamOn on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elena88

Post by elena88 » Tue May 11, 2010 6:49 pm

Hi Chris,
It sounds like you had a great day after your titration study. Perhaps that is a glimps of things to come for you after you get your
machine set up.. Dont be surprised if there is a little learning curve and tweeking, because you have professionals following you every minute
during your titration, and when you get home, its up to you..
AND these nice folks here who can help you with just about anything!

Did you sleep the entire night through on your titration, did you have a sleep study without titration before that?

Hope your meeting with the doc goes really well, and you get everything you need and want!

elena

KC5cychris

Post by KC5cychris » Tue May 11, 2010 7:02 pm

Wow, you're on top of it all, Chris! I'm impressed!!!

I have Tricare Prime (retired, but not 65 yet). My PCP at the military hospital referred me to an in-network sleep doctor (outside of the military hospital). I had the sleep studies, then met with the sleep doctor about a week after that, who discussed the results with me and ordered the equipment. (My sleep doctor/sleep clinic/DME are all-in-one. I wouldn't recommend this arrangement. It's convenient, but there's potential for conflict of interests, in my opinion.)

I haven't been back to my PCP since the initial referral to the sleep doctor. Have you received notification from Tricare that the equipment has been authorized yet? Have you called the sleep clinic to find out what's going on? Were you supposed to meet with a sleep doctor there to get results and a prescription for the equipment?

I've been using CPAP for over six months now. I feel great! I hope you have good results too. It can take some time to work things out, but it's definitely worth it![/quote]

Thank you Dreamon

I too am on tricare prime, and not yet 65. MY PCP is the one that order the sleep study and I have not seen anyother Dr. I have the statement of medical necessity, that he needs to sign off on, and I need the script before tricare will authize the transaction. I think that I have done all that i can to facilitate a smooth transition, I even have a sample of the script written out as per the DME to how he would like to see it. just waiting on the PCP.
Thanks again

Chris

KC5cychris

Post by KC5cychris » Tue May 11, 2010 7:04 pm

elena88 wrote:Hi Chris,
It sounds like you had a great day after your titration study. Perhaps that is a glimps of things to come for you after you get your
machine set up.. Dont be surprised if there is a little learning curve and tweeking, because you have professionals following you every minute
during your titration, and when you get home, its up to you..
AND these nice folks here who can help you with just about anything!

Did you sleep the entire night through on your titration, did you have a sleep study without titration before that?

Hope your meeting with the doc goes really well, and you get everything you need and want!

elena
Elena
I sure hope you are correct in that. I would great look out world
Chris

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Tue May 11, 2010 7:25 pm

Okay, so your situation was handled a little differently than mine, without the sleep doctor intermediary that I've had. If you haven't already, you may want to make sure that your PCP has received the report from the sleep center, so everything will go smoothly when you meet with him/her on Friday and you can move forward in obtaining your equipment.

One caution. Many of the machines have very similar-sounding names -- Plus vs. Pro, Escape vs. Elite. Just make sure that the DME does actually give you the full-data-capable machine that you want. Just curious...which machine have you selected? And mask?
Last edited by DreamOn on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KC5cychris

Post by KC5cychris » Tue May 11, 2010 8:16 pm

DreamOn

I would like to get the S9 w/ humidifier and climate line. As for mask I am not sure yet I know it will be a FF as I am a mouth breather but am waiting to see. The one I used at the titration was a generic FF.
I hope Tricare goes as smooth for me too. I have never had issue with them on other things, first time for durable equipment though. but hey I am sure that this is not the first time as the receptionist at the Q&A desk knew what I was tallking about when I spoke to here using terms that I had learn reseaching on the forum so I feel confident in them and hope to be hosed up here soon

Chris