Changing From Nasal Mask to Nasal Pillow...Pressure Question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jrfoster

Changing From Nasal Mask to Nasal Pillow...Pressure Question

Post by jrfoster » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:18 pm

I am changing to a Swift LT Nasal pillow mask tonight to give it a try. I have been using a Mirage Activa Nasal Mask for the last 2 years with good results but wanted to try a nasal pillow system.
I am at a pressure of 13.5. I was wondering with the direct flow into the nose unlike the nasal mask which is more dispersed into the mask, can I lower the pressure and get the same results? Just wondering.

Jeff

sheepdog

Re: Changing From Nasal Mask to Nasal Pillow...Pressure Question

Post by sheepdog » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:22 pm

not in my experience. The pressure you need is the pressure you need. The pillows are like a blast for a bit but I quickly got to love them when I was at 14. They are very addictive and I hated anything else for a long time.
Respironics model 510 Auto Cpap w/ respironics heated humid. 14000 hrs as of Oct 23 2013
Swift LT / Comfort Gel Masks
Set to auto 10-20 cm/H2o setting.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:44 pm

I don't even feel the air flow at 15. It's very comfortable, but humidity is a must or you'll dry out your nasal passages. I don't need my humidity turned up very high (2 out of 5), but I do need some.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:53 pm

When I switched from mask to pillows, did so slowly. Some folks adjust quickly, others need more time.

When I woke up at say 3 or 4 am, would swap to nasal for few hours...after a few days did the complete switch. Now I switch from LT to Fx to Headrest. My best numbers are LT but I think the Headrest will catch up soon. Unlike a lot of people, Fx isn't right for me

Good luck!

ps = oh yea: pressure stays the same, no decrease for pillows.

jrfoster

Post by jrfoster » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:56 pm

OK, looks like I will keep the pressure the same. I like the idea of maybe switching out back to my nasal mask sometime during the night til I get used to the pillow system. Thanks to all!

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:47 pm

The.sheepdog wrote:not in my experience. The pressure you need is the pressure you need. The pillows are like a blast for a bit but I quickly got to love them when I was at 14. They are very addictive and I hated anything else for a long time.
Not in my experience either. I thought so too before I made the switch.

Here's something you might find helpful.
Use a dab of Lansinoh on your nares and a dab on the pillows.
It helps with
1. the seal. fewer leaks
2. irritation of the nares

Lansinoh is pure lanolin and can be found anywhere nursing supplies for breast feeding mothers are sold.

HTH

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:27 pm

In fact, I recently bought a 2oz. tube of Lansinoh at Walmart (near the baby bottles) for $10.37 (plus tax).
The last tube lasted close to 2yrs. Just smear a dab between thumb & forefinger. It doesn't take much to help.

for more info see http://www.Lansinoh.com

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

woozie38

Post by woozie38 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:44 pm

G'day All,

Having recently made the switch successfully, I can offer a couple of things. (1) Use "Bactroban Nasal Cream" to limit nasal constriction and help lubricate and seal the pillows to your nostrils. (2) Tape you mouth with 50mm "Micropor" tape to prevent mouth leaks, dry mouth, and nasal cracking. (3) If you have it, set your EPR to on and to 2cms/water. (3) Set minimum pressure to 4cms and maximum to just above your prescribed pressure. Using these tips will prevent nasal discomfort. mouth leaks and nasal leaks and improve comfort and tolerance of your therapy.
  • machine: Resmed S8 Autoset II
    Mask: F&P Opus 360 nasal pillows
    Software: Resmed 3.7

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:07 am

While I'm glad you were able to make your Opus 360 work, a few of your suggestions are a bit troublesome.

With an APAP set to a minimum pressure of 4, many people feel that they are not getting enough air. While I haven't experienced this myself, I've read it too many time to discount it. Also, an APAP may not increase pressure quickly enough to provide good therapy when the titrated pressure is well above 4. The general advice given on this forum for setting an APAP is to set the minimum pressure at the titrated pressure (or a cmH20 or 2 below it) and the maximum at 3 to 5 above the titrated pressure. This way, the APAP can respond quickly to events and will never go overboard with pressure increases. Of course, all of this is just a starting point, as careful data monitoring and adjustments will help you dial-in your therapy to meet your needs.

And Bactroban is an antibiotic cream. Indiscriminate use of antibiotics tends to breed resistant bacteria. To soothe the nares and help increase the seal many forum members recommend Lansinoh purified lanolin cream. It is odorless (unlike unpurified lanolin) and water-soluble. Others recommend Ayr gel.
jeff

jules

Post by jules » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:16 am

BACTROBAN CREAM is a white cream that contains 2.15% w/w mupirocin calcium (equivalent to 2.0% mupirocin free acid) in an oil and water-based emulsion. The inactive ingredients are benzyl alcohol, cetomacrogol 1000, cetyl alcohol, mineral oil, phenoxyethanol, purified water, stearyl alcohol, and xanthan gum.

are these ingredients good on our masks / pillows? yeah purified water won't damage them but ..........

Amigo

Post by Amigo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:13 am

I concur on the pressure...no change, and the need for proper humidification. If you find yourself sneezing the following day, and/or the feeling that ants are playing "you're it" in your nose, you should increase the humidity level.

Nasal pillows work best, IMHO, if there is a slight film of lubricant on your nares where the pillows rest.

I've used Vaseline for the seven years I've been on therapy...cheap, effective, and totally risk-free if only applied externally.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:46 am

You only need a minute amount of Ayr Saline Nasal Gel whether in or outside your nostrils. A 0.5 oz tube cost $3.69 at RiteAid and lasts almost forever or seems to. When applied it not only soothes irritated nasal passages and sore irritated nose, it helps to toughen them up and works great preventing leaks and helping the pillows to seal.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:48 am

When I made the switch, bought the Lanolin, the Ayr saline and even the rings. Fortunately, haven't had real need for any of them.

I would be real careful re vaseline - read months back when I started therapy re side-effects, even if you think it's only 'external use'.

Amigo

Post by Amigo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:53 am

dtsm wrote:...
I would be real careful re vaseline - read months back when I started therapy re side-effects, even if you think it's only 'external use'.
Here we go again. All I can say is don't believe everything you read.

After seven years of external Vaseline use, I've suffered no ill effects. Of course if anyone prefers to use the "higher priced spread," that's their choice.

woozie38

Post by woozie38 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:58 am

And Bactroban is an antibiotic cream. Indiscriminate use of antibiotics tends to breed resistant bacteria.

Yes, it is an antibiotic, true. Many people have streptococcal bacteria in their nasal passages left over from previously contracted colds and flue. These suckers irritate the capillaries in the nose and create inflammation which causes the capillaries to become swollen thus restricting the air flow. When under CPAP pressure, breathing in is not a problem, its breathing out that becomes difficult. Bactroban counters this by preventing the bacteria from becoming active. The anti bacterial agent is not a high level antibiotic and in any case the amount needed is about half the size of a match head, not enough to cause any real problem regarding the build up of resistance in the bacteria. The benefit of having clear airways outweighs any contra indications. This med. was prescribed for me, so you will require a Rx to obtain it too.