OSA because of weight gain

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Junaid

OSA because of weight gain

Post by Junaid » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:53 am

If Im suffering from OSA because I gained alot of weight (largely hormonal), then would it not be true to assume that if I lose weight my OSA should improve drastically if not go away completely?

Surely, gaining weight doesnt give one irreversible OSA . does it not go away if you eliminate what caused it in the first place?

JeffH

Re: OSA because of weight gain

Post by JeffH » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:15 am

OSA has more to do with the way your throat is built than your weight. I've lost around 80 lbs this year and my pressure needs are the same. Acceptance is the key.

JeffH

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:23 am

Many people gain a lot of weight BECAUSE they have un detected OSA. OSA can be the culprit behind a lot of other symptoms.
Just accept the fact that there is a non-invasive way to stay alive that does not include surgery or dangerous drugs .

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Junaid

Post by Junaid » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:31 am

JeffH wrote:OSA has more to do with the way your throat is built than your weight. I've lost around 80 lbs this year and my pressure needs are the same. Acceptance is the key.

JeffH
I have fully accepted it but just wondering. Logic says...take away the cause of the effect, then there should be no effect
BlackSpinner wrote:Many people gain a lot of weight BECAUSE they have un detected OSA. OSA can be the culprit behind a lot of other symptoms.
Just accept the fact that there is a non-invasive way to stay alive that does not include surgery or dangerous drugs .
anatomy of the throat and weight gain are the culprits of OSA right? I had my throat anatomy checked and its all clear. I had hormonal imbalances which happen to co-incide, timing wise, with my weight gain so I know the weight gain is the culprit in my case.

Can I not entertain the possibility that taking the weight away will improve or eliminate my OSA?

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:28 am

Hi, you wouldn't be the first, and you won't be the last, and the question comes up here all the time, but unfortunately it doesn't happen. What can happen is that if you do lose a lot of weight your pressure needs might come down, and/or that you'll feel better in general. I know if I lose even 5 lbs I sleep and feel better, and vice versa, but otherwise you may be stuck with Cpap until science comes up with a better idea (and they're doing that every day).

howkim

Post by howkim » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:34 am

Junaid wrote:...anatomy of the throat and weight gain are the culprits of OSA right?
Anatomy of the throat is the culprit of OSA; weight gain can be a contributor to OSA, IMHO. I've lost 35 pounds in about the last year. My pressure didn't change.

I am not a mushroom.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:51 am

Wishing might help, as long as your wishing doesn't keep you from using XPAP treatment correctly, (All the Time) If wishes were Horses, We all would be Riding. We all have many reasons for Sleep Apnea, weigh loss while good for over health, isn't the Holy Grail to control Sleep Apnea. I gained 45 pounds and my pressure hasn't went up any more than when I started. Lucky I do know what works, XPAP treatment. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

kempo

Post by kempo » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:20 am

My family Doc who has sleep Apnea told me it was much easier for him to lose weight after he started using a cpap machine. I'm sure that's not true for everyone but it was another good reason for me to become a hose head. I sure would like to take off 40lb.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:22 am

I think it's great to lose weight carefully, and see if it does help. The important thing is not to ASSUME it helps, but if you get your weight down and think you're "cured', get tested to make sure.

The theory is that excess weight is a big cause of OSA, so if losing weight helps, go for it. If you are fortunate enough not to have other factors, you might be one of the lucky ones to leave CPAP behind. Wouldn't that be great????
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:26 pm

But really highly unlikely... I wouldn't want to get someone too hopeful.

Maybe

Post by Maybe » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:03 pm

I went to a sleep center connected with a hospital. I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea. They told me --in writing--to lose weight or try a dental solution. I don't think they would have recommended weight loss to treat mild sleep apena if there was no medical basis to it. I choose to believe what my doctor said.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:27 pm

They recommended it because it is better for you to lose all around, but that doesn't make it the magic bullet for OSA. Really.

Jaylee

Post by Jaylee » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:31 pm

I have lost weight since starting BiPap because I have so much more energy now, and I no longer eat to keep awake.

However, I am not sure that losing weight can make it go away. It is probably a very individual thing.

elena88

Post by elena88 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:33 pm

I would surmise that if weight was the ONLY cause of the osa, that losing it should help, but usually the osa caused the weight.

My pulmonogist told me that when I was again "svelte" that my osa would go from severe to severe.... oh well, at least I would be a svelte
apnean..

in my case its "cranial facial abnormalities and throat arhchitecture" which is causing the my OSA.

MurphysLaw

Post by MurphysLaw » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:35 pm

I have lost nearly 90 pounds in the past year or so and my doctor mentioned that I might not need my CPAP. My pressure hasn't changed one bit. I would never want to go back to the way I felt before CPAP. I used to fall asleep at rock concerts, pro football games at the stadium, and every drive-in movie I went to when I was young. Some date. I think I had this problem long before the weight gain.

But , hey, you can hope can't you? Another study would tell you for sure.