aromatherapy and night sinus problems

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sheepdog

aromatherapy and night sinus problems

Post by sheepdog » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:46 pm

HI all. The one constant I have had since going on cpap/apap has been sinus issues from the 'breeze'. I once was at 14 cm/h2o and am now at 20 cm/h2o so its even more so now. It doesnt help that I am seemingly allergic to Florida!

I sometimes will take an alka seltzer cold tablet with water before bed and it does help- for a while. I wonder if the aroma therapy products might help some?

I always wake up in the morning a sniffly mess and hate it.

any ideas or thoughts on products to try? I have a comfort gel and also a full face type mask. I got another nasal mask but wow its worse to use now. The hurricane at 20cm really is more than I can take.

also have an issue with dry throat and mouth and wonder if my mouth is opening. Chin strap time maybe?

Thanks all for your thoughts
Respironics model 510 Auto Cpap w/ respironics heated humid. 14000 hrs as of Oct 23 2013
Swift LT / Comfort Gel Masks
Set to auto 10-20 cm/H2o setting.

kempo

Re: aromatherapy and night sinus problems

Post by kempo » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:04 pm

Have you ever tried Claritin? When my allergies are acting up thats what I use.

sheepdog

Post by sheepdog » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:28 pm

Not yet but I shall try that. thanks!
Respironics model 510 Auto Cpap w/ respironics heated humid. 14000 hrs as of Oct 23 2013
Swift LT / Comfort Gel Masks
Set to auto 10-20 cm/H2o setting.

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:32 pm

I also use Claritin for my alleriges symptoms. I have taken them almost every day since the early Spring this year. We are having an unusually long Spring allergy season this year and soon the Ragweed season will be here! It works well for me.

I take 24 hour ones - one a day.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:46 pm

Loratadine is the generic for Claritin. It can cost half as much or less, and works exactly the same, I've been using it for years.

lktnky

Post by lktnky » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:37 pm

Some folks turn off their humidifier and just use it in passover mode (filled with water, but not on.)
I used to have trouble with stuffy nose until I discovered I could get passed it by drinking lots of water daily. I also used to use a netti pot but now don't since I'm drinking so much water. Hate taking drugs.

Tsahaylu,
LKTNKY

SleepyT

Post by SleepyT » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:52 pm

sheepdog wrote:HI all. The one constant I have had since going on cpap/apap has been sinus issues from the 'breeze'. I once was at 14 cm/h2o and am now at 20 cm/h2o so its even more so now. It doesnt help that I am seemingly allergic to Florida!

I sometimes will take an alka seltzer cold tablet with water before bed and it does help- for a while. I wonder if the aroma therapy products might help some?

I always wake up in the morning a sniffly mess and hate it.

any ideas or thoughts on products to try? I have a comfort gel and also a full face type mask. I got another nasal mask but wow its worse to use now. The hurricane at 20cm really is more than I can take.

also have an issue with dry throat and mouth and wonder if my mouth is opening. Chin strap time maybe?

Thanks all for your thoughts

Claritin doesn't work for me...but Allegra does...and my doctor prescribed a nasal steroid spray...don't recall which one.

As far as the dry throat goes....could be time for a chinstrap...I use a PapCap and it works great

"Knowledge is power."

echo

Post by echo » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:59 pm

Mouth breathing/leaking can cause both dry mouth AND congestion problems (for me anyway).

20 definitely sounds like a challenging pressure. Do you perhaps have positional apnea? Your pressure needs might be much much lower when sleeping on your side than on your back.

I don't think aromatherapy would really help with the congestion, and I definitely would NOT put anything in the humidifier like the menthol drops. Neti pot can help during the day. But perhaps the pressure is just very irritating to your sinuses. More or less humidity may help (less or none if you're in muggy Florida!).
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

sunnyway

Post by sunnyway » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:01 pm

Pur Sleep CPAP VaporClear: Sinus Blaster is helpful for mild congestion. It comes with bottles of Clear and Calm aromatherapy oils as well as diffuser pads & holder.
Image http://www.pur-sleep.com/products/prodD ... 200&pID=77

pdean44

Post by pdean44 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:25 pm

I have been using the over the counter zyrtec

http://www.zyrtec.com/econsumer/zyrtec/ ... 2AodB133lA

I have tried claritan before but this seems to work better for me. I am sure everyone has a product that workds best for them.

I have also been suffering from allergies. My doctor told me to stay on the zyrtec or claritan (he recommended)
I also take nose spray fluticasone.

When the allergies get away from me my ahi and ai number shoot up. I also use a netty pot daily. So with all that i am surviving the allergy season so far.

"Things turn out the best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out"
-- JOHN WOODEN --

Bert_Mathews

Post by Bert_Mathews » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:41 am

sunnyway wrote:Pur Sleep CPAP VaporClear: Sinus Blaster is helpful for mild congestion. It comes with bottles of Clear and Calm aromatherapy oils as well as diffuser pads & holder.
Image http://www.pur-sleep.com/products/prodD ... 200&pID=77
I SECOND this solution!!!
Like to switch it up with the many other AROMA'S. . . .
BERT

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
http://www.sharpstones.com

echo

Post by echo » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:29 am

cool, I just learned something new,,, I didn't realize these scents helped with congestion!
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

happysleeper

Post by happysleeper » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:44 am

I've been worried about using the VaporClear because I have asthma, and don't want anything in my air which might irritate my airways and cause them to constrict. After seeing your posts, Bert and SunnyWay, I called my allergists' office and spoke to the nurse. She advised me that menthol and eucalyptus might be helpful, rather than harmful, in opening airways, just as the information on the Pur Sleep website claims. She told me that one of the prescription nasal sprays has had menthol in it for the same purpose.

I'm going to order some today, thanks for the heads up!

Happy Sleeper