How do you maintain your dignity while using your CPAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Mary94523

How do you maintain your dignity while using your CPAP?

Post by Mary94523 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:08 am

I had to stuggle with this when I got my CPAP and I am wondering how others have dealt with this.

Goofproof

Re: How do you maintain your dignity while using your CPAP?

Post by Goofproof » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:17 am

You must choose Vanity or Better Health, for me it's a No Brainer. Jim

Vanity serves No-One well.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:21 am

By not snoring like a Mack truck.
By not scaring family and friends by stopping breathing.

By being alive and by not have a stroke requiring them to change my diapers (like my mother requires)

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

andyw715

Post by andyw715 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:24 am

I'm currently on day 3 of cpap therapy.

Wednesday night around 9:00 I realized that I needed to get ready for bed and wear my mask. As I watched TV I was bummed and kept asking myself "Why do i have to wear this thing so I can breathe, whats wrong with me?"

That questiong and bummed feeling quickly faded when I awoke at 6:00 AND FELT GREAT!!

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:27 am

Dignity has nothing to do with it!!!!! I'm only worried about waking up in the morning on the green side of the grass!!!!
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:28 am

Dignity? With regard to what?

You're going to be in your bedroom when you're using it, so if you don't have a whole room full of people while you're sleeping, I don't see a problem.

If your spouse/significant other has a problem with it, tell them to move to another location in the residence.

I can think of a whole lot more "undignified" situations to have to deal with. As Jim indicated, this one's about your health.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:29 am

I'm not falling sleep at 9:00 in the morning with my breakfast in my hands. I'm not falling asleep during my therapy sessions or in the doctor's office.
Mary Z.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:32 am

Dignity is an internal concept.

You can have dignity while wearing a poop bag, a diaper and while going to the gas "shower".

If anyone suggests that wearing a cpap mask is "undignified" - throw them out immediately - they don't have your best interest at heart and you are far better off without them.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

AndrewB

Post by AndrewB » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:43 am

I agree with Blackspinner - dignity is something that you have, not something you wear.

newhosehead

Post by newhosehead » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:49 am

I think BlackSpinner topped it, but I have to say I think I at least "looked and sounded" far less "dignified" laying there night after night gasping, snorting and snoring. I think I am rather dignified now all masked up and ready for a quiet and restful night.

Jeanette
Equipment: PR System One REMstar Pro CPAP
Pressure Settings: 12 cwp
Mask: Full Face Mirage Quattro

howkim

Post by howkim » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:06 pm

I agree with BlackSpinner. It also helps for me that right now, any witnesses have 4 legs and fur.

I am not a mushroom.

elena88

Post by elena88 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:10 pm

I had to stuggle with this when I got my CPAP and I am wondering how others have dealt with this.
Mary,

I think I do understand what you are talking about. It is as if you lost some of your autonomy, your self, that part of you who controlled
the little things you didnt even have to think about.. like BREATHING..
Now you need HELP breathing? Something most people dont think about, something most people do so many times a day and night and it
its just comes naturally.. But for us, it doesnt..
Because this is such an EASY no brainer task, and not be be able to do it properly anymore, can make one feel less than they were.
Its more than just looking in the mirror trying to adjust your mask, and thinking " this is an absolutely ridiculous contraption!"
Its that now you are different, mask or not, you are someone who needs help, and if you have been used to being independent and healthy, its
a hard to wrap your brain around it.. Part of what I would think of as "dignity" is getting over the denial that I need help.
Putting on the mask every night is the remimder that we cant get by without a "crutch" anymore.. but that "crutch" is there to save us,
not make us weaker.

So, to me, the loss of "dignity" is not so much a vanity issue, but an autonomy issue, a strength issue.. and we each adjust in our own time.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:15 pm

elena88 wrote:Part of what I would think of as "dignity" is getting over the denial that I need help.
Putting on the mask every night is the remimder that we cant get by without a "crutch" anymore.. but that "crutch" is there to save us,
not make us weaker.

So, to me, the loss of "dignity" is not so much a vanity issue, but an autonomy issue, a strength issue.. and we each adjust in our own time.
Yes Stephen Hawking has no less dignity then anyone else hereImage

who

Post by who » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:33 pm

Mary94523 wrote:I had to stuggle with this when I got my CPAP and I am wondering how others have dealt with this.
The beauty and insight of your question touch my heart. Well asked!, I say.

Forums such as this one can help, even if some of the answers you receive, or anyone else receives here, may sound harsh at first.

Nothing is more dignified than a human being having the strength to do difficult things for the human being's own good and for the good of others.

Any change can bring some grief to our heart. Hang on, and go through the process. You will be glad, and proud of yourself, that you did. And that, in turn, will increase your dignity.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Often credited (unsourced) to my favorite doctor, Dr. Seuss.

PST

Post by PST » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:46 pm

howkim wrote:I agree with BlackSpinner. It also helps for me that right now, any witnesses have 4 legs and fur.
And the human was never born who can match a cat for dignity.