Reasons sleep is unsatisfying on Cpap - Poll

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Reasons you think your sleep is unsatisfactory though on Cpap?

Inconsistent number of hours asleep
26%
Eating/Drinking inappropriately before bed
8%
Nasal mask when full face may be needed
5%
Smoking
3%
Weight gain
3%
Other medical but non-sleep issues
14%
Other sleep issues besides OSA
20%
Other (please discuss in forum response)
21%

Total votes: 76

Julie

Reasons sleep is unsatisfying on Cpap - Poll

Post by Julie » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:29 pm

Hi, kind of a follow-up to Williamco's poll - guess at what you think could be your problem(s).

BlackSpinner

Re: Reasons sleep is unsatisfying on Cpap - Poll

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:31 pm

Other = kids, life, neighbours fighting at 1 am, weather.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

KC5cychris

Post by KC5cychris » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:56 pm

mostly crazy work hours right up to 12am then need a snack to take a pill for cholesterol then I read a bit then off to bed try to get there by130am usally back up around 830 or so

titrated pressure 10 current setting 12/15.5 autopap

REMEMBER THOSE WHO SERVED
ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL

Prevail

Post by Prevail » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:57 pm

I think a possibility is psychological habit. If we are so used to being tired, we might still believe we are tired even though we are not. It's kinda like when you lose an arm but there are times when you think it's still there.

In a more general sense which encompasses habits, I think tiredness can be related to a person's beliefs.

Prevail

nobody

Post by nobody » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:59 pm

Prevail wrote:I think a possibility is psychological habit. If we are so used to being tired, we might still believe we are tired even though we are not. It's kinda like when you lose an arm but there are times when you think it's still there.

In a more general sense which encompasses habits, I think tiredness can be related to a person's beliefs.

Prevail
I often feel tired when I'm bored.

davecpap

Post by davecpap » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:47 am

nobody wrote:I often feel tired when I'm bored.
+1 - After a couple weeks of CPAP and still feeling tired during the day, I saw a psychologist. He suggested my being tired was actually depression, and to get out and do stuff. I've forced myself to be active the past week - went to movies, went to some astronomy club meetings, hand washed my cars for the first time, started using exercise bike just 15 mins/day, started taking a geology class at the community college for fun, and it has made a PROFOUND difference. Perhaps more of a difference than my CPAP. I've been sleeping LESS, waking more refreshed now that I have stuff to look forward to.

This was instead of the Provigil suggestion from the sleep doc. I'm shocked what just 15 mins on my Schwinn Airdyne does for my energy levels. Other things I did - pretty sure I was chronically dehydrated, made it a point to drink my 8 glasses of water. I also noticed having mostly protein for breakfast instead of carbs like cereal really helps get me going in the morning - previously, I'd have cheerios w/raisins or banana, and I'd usually be *fighting* to stay awake 30 mins later. Some eggs/sausage instead for breakfast, or a bagel with lots of cream cheese really, really helps.

I put all my faith in the CPAP restoring my energy levels, but it really look a lot of small changes together to see real results - CPAP, mild exercise, staying active, staying hydrated, less carbs & more protein!

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:56 am

davecpap wrote: I put all my faith in the CPAP restoring my energy levels, but it really look a lot of small changes together to see real results - CPAP, mild exercise, staying active, staying hydrated, less carbs & more protein!
If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of.
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:32 am

Why can't they make more sizes of masks?--I would love to use a hybrid (no taping), but the Liberty just does not fit and I can't even try on a Hybrid
at my DME. Faces come in more sizes than shoes--and shoes cost a lot less! We are being ripped off! Totally!

{{{Update: shortly after this discussion, I bought that mask from our hosts.
It worked better than the Liberty, but I finally ended up giving it away to a poster.}}}

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jabman

Post by jabman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:37 am

I voter other but not sure I fall under any of the catagories. I really have been feeling better and more rested. I was diagnosed with Diadetes the day after I got my machine. The first 2 weeks on capap I was waking feeling better but not great but sence I have started getting my blood sugars under control i have been waking feeling alot better, I also am loosing weight.

Psalm 150: 6
Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD.

"If God does not exist, one will lose nothing by believing in him, while if he does exist, one will lose everything by not believing. " - Blaise Pascal.

klgm326

Post by klgm326 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:39 pm

So far I simply haven't gotten the right mask nor have I gotten adjusted. So, I haven't slept very well with all the new equipment.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:26 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Why can't they make more sizes of masks?--I would love to use a hybrid (no taping), but the Liberty just does not fit and I can't even try on a Hybrid
at my DME. Faces come in more sizes than shoes--and shoes cost a lot less! We are being ripped off! Totally!
The hybrid ships with 3 sizes of nose pillows and 3 mouth thingies so it is all sizes - once you figure out yours you then do a trade with someone else who needs the sizes you don't need.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

topdragster

Post by topdragster » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:53 pm

davecpap wrote:
+1 - After a couple weeks of CPAP and still feeling tired during the day, I saw a psychologist. He suggested my being tired was actually depression, and to get out and do stuff. I've forced myself to be active the past week - went to movies, went to some astronomy club meetings, hand washed my cars for the first time, started using exercise bike just 15 mins/day, started taking a geology class at the community college for fun, and it has made a PROFOUND difference. Perhaps more of a difference than my CPAP. I've been sleeping LESS, waking more refreshed now that I have stuff to look forward to.

This was instead of the Provigil suggestion from the sleep doc. I'm shocked what just 15 mins on my Schwinn Airdyne does for my energy levels. Other things I did - pretty sure I was chronically dehydrated, made it a point to drink my 8 glasses of water. I also noticed having mostly protein for breakfast instead of carbs like cereal really helps get me going in the morning - previously, I'd have cheerios w/raisins or banana, and I'd usually be *fighting* to stay awake 30 mins later. Some eggs/sausage instead for breakfast, or a bagel with lots of cream cheese really, really helps.

I put all my faith in the CPAP restoring my energy levels, but it really look a lot of small changes together to see real results - CPAP, mild exercise, staying active, staying hydrated, less carbs & more protein!
Been feeling that way myself lately, sleeping long hours when really the therapy I have been getting since being on cpap has been good. Not having the energy or should I say the motivation to do much, and for me is not usual. I have been feeling this way since I quit smoking in January. I think I'll follow your lead and do something about this too. My wife has clinical depression and is on AD's. That is one avenue I don't want to take. Thanks for posting this davecpap.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:01 pm

Thanks, spinner, but the shape of the liberty (small) curves out so far off my chin, I don't know if I could trust a Hybrid--isn't it just about the same thing? I think I gotta check the other providers here in town for try-ons. We have several, but BCBSNE won't tell you which ones have CPAP equipment. I even emailed them, and they just blew me off: "go online." --their list is useless, I still gotta make umpty zillion phone calls. Well, I guess I better get started. thanks, again.

davecpap

Post by davecpap » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:00 pm

topdragster wrote:That is one avenue I don't want to take. Thanks for posting this davecpap.
I've been seeing this therapist for a couple weeks with no improvement in my mood, and he was always on me about exercise - citing several studies and meta-studies showing moderate exercise is MORE effective than SSRIs - in the sense that I would see results a lot sooner and that the results are longer lasting. I've taken SSRIs in the past, and it tooks 6-8 weeks for them to kick in, the exercise has made me feel a lot better a lot sooner. Exercise seems better too because folks who kick the SSRI habit (myself included) often see a return of symptoms a few months later. So far I've been exercising regularly only about a couple weeks, and you know what? So far he's right. I think taking an active role in my health - by having small, progressive goals and meeting them gives me a sense of accomplishment, which really helps my mood. Its light night and day - took some time, but a lot quicker than my last stint years ago on SSRIs.

chellesings

Post by chellesings » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:25 am

Still fighting with my *&$$#&())*&&& mask!!!