Rage against the (cpap) machine-- or, why I hate Climateline

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
breakfast

Rage against the (cpap) machine-- or, why I hate Climateline

Post by breakfast » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:37 pm

This morning, my S9 abruptly turned off the air and displayed a message I'm too familiar with-- "heated tube failure. replace tube."

Fine, I will do that... but this is the second tube to fail on me... this month. I've had my S9 for about a month, and ClimateLine has been functional for about half that.

Am I doing something wrong? Instead of looking to the tube for answers, should we be checking out the machine? Should I call ResMed instead of my DME, since they seem to think that sending me a replacement, asking for the old one to be returned to them and still billing my insurance another $90 is the most cromulent solution?

I know this thing is here to help me (when it works) and it does, but I am so, so prepared to turn this thing into a trampoline. Between this and the mask that ate my nose, I'm so ready to quit before I have more violent urges toward innocent, inanimate objects, and the idiots who supplied them to me.

jdm2857

Re: Rage against the (cpap) machine-- or, why I hate Climateline

Post by jdm2857 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:04 pm

ResMed warranty issues must be handled through an authorized dealer. They will not work directly with the patient.
jeff

Hospiceangel

Post by Hospiceangel » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:34 am

I'm right there with you. I have already replaced one and crossing my fingers it doesn't happen again.
By the way, I don't think the DME should be charging for another one since it was a warranty issue.
Shar:)

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow M Radmacher
It is better, to believe in something passionately even if it is wrong, than to believe in nothing at all C Hoong

ZQuest

Post by ZQuest » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:01 pm

Hello

I'm wondering if these issues are being caused by the humidifier itself instead of the climateline hose it just sounds strange that you are having the same issues with a different climateline hose..Perhaps you should consider having your humidifier checked out by your DME.Just a thought

Phil

Rogue Uvula

Post by Rogue Uvula » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:30 pm

I suspect that the Climateline is simply a resistance heater (just like the wire in a electric blanket). I believe it also has a connection for transmitting the temperature at the end of the hose back to the machine.
If I understand the system properly (someone, please correct me if I'm wrong), there is really not much to go wrong. Basically a wire spiraling along the hose can break or the contacts might not make a good connection. Since the hose is pretty good reinforcement of the wires (to prevent kinks), I don't think it is likely the fault (unless you accidentally step on it or do something else to impose abnormal stress). I believe the contacts are not a rigorous design and think they are likely the source of failure. Do you disconnect the hose on a daily basis?
If so, I would think about switching to a less frequent detachment of the hose.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54805&p=512214#p512214

You might also inspect the contacts of the damaged hose and compare against a new one to determine if this is the cause of the problem.
Sleep well and prosper!

Sanadol

Post by Sanadol » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:24 am

First night on S9 AutoSet and climateline tube, After few hours device suddenly turned off air and displayed "heated tube failure. replace tube."

stephanie13724

Post by stephanie13724 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:19 pm

I would keep trying to work with the DME company. I know thats probably not the answer that you wanted, but they SHOULD be helping you! Not sending you back to the hamster wheel. Maybe you should request a different machine since this seems to be a popular problem judging by the thread. If the DME company is not willing to help you in a way that you see fit, call your sleep doctor and tell them. Request to be sent to a different DME. Then you'll need to get all your records sent to the new one. If they aren't willing to work for your business by taking care of you, find someone that will. That kind of stuff frustrates me to no end. I'm also forwarding this thread to our ResMed rep (I work in a sleep lab) so that maybe I can find out some more information aobut this common problem and how its being addressed. Hopefully I'll have some more answers soon....
Stephanie13724