What are indications that CPAP can be discontinued??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
gpk111

What are indications that CPAP can be discontinued??

Post by gpk111 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:29 pm

I've lost some weight and feel refreshed after I wake up, even after not using the CPAP machine I've been on for a couple of years. I don't want to stop prematurely. Are there objective measures one could use to determine if it's appropriate to stop?

My wife says I don't snore any more when I nap, but I have no real objective metrics. My AHI numbers were consistently low even before my exercise and weight loss program. Pressure readings are down ever so slightly, but I suspect within a statistical error range. I have an oximeter on order as a surrogate for expensive sleep studies.

Any other thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Gerry in Florida

Goofproof

Re: What are indications that CPAP can be discontinued??

Post by Goofproof » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:36 am

When you drown in De-Nile, or otherwise stop breathing for the last time. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

dave21

Post by dave21 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:10 am

As Goofproof suggested, I really wouldn't stop using CPAP until you've had a medical checkup. The reason why we're all on CPAP is that we don't get enough oxygen a night. That means in the worst possible cases that depending on the type of sleep apnea we have, we could unfortunately not wake up from our sleep when we go to bed.

In reality most of us do because our brain wakes us up, however, Sleep Apnea is one of the main causes why you hear about people dying in their sleep. I wouldn't recommend stopping the use of CPAP until you've had another sleep study. You might have to pay for this yourself depending on where you are located, but if what you believe is true, then it might be the light at the end of the tunnel that most of us are looking for to ultimately be removed from CPAP.

Thanks
Dave

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:43 am

Getting an oximeter is a good idea but I would want another sleep study to determine if I could indeed stop using cpap.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:58 am

I've lost about 80 lbs this year and my pressure needs have not gone down at all. I tried lowering the pressure and my AHI got worse. It has way more to do with how your throat is built than what you weigh.

JeffH

kteague

Post by kteague » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:20 am

Since you have an autopap, maybe you could begin lowering the bottom pressure in your range a bit at at time and see if your pressure still increases to address events. I would be methodical about this and wait on discontinuing use of your treatment until the evidence bears out the decision.

stephanie13724

Post by stephanie13724 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:25 am

I've lost about 80 lbs this year and my pressure needs have not gone down at all. I tried lowering the pressure and my AHI got worse. It has way more to do with how your throat is built than what you weigh.
This is SO true! Please do not discontinue the use of your CPAP until you have been TESTED again. I understand that sleep studies are expensive. An overnight oximetry with a readout isn't a horrible idea, but it is definitely not as accurate as a sleep study. On the flip side, a home sleep study, such as Type 3 would not be a bad idea in a situation like this. You can ask your physician if they have that available. But please, please, PLEASE do not stop using your machine until you have been TESTED. Some doctors don't seem to be very concerned with sleep apnea and will tell you that "if you feel better, then you probably are" or something STUPID like that. You need evidence that your body will be healthy without the CPAP before discontinueing it. After all, you only get one body.
Stephanie13724

gpk111

Post by gpk111 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:49 am

Thanks for all the good counsel!

The point about the relationship of throat psysiology and weight is an interesting one and as you all point out, not necessarily predictable. Helps make a case for supplementing XPAP treatment with an oximeter.

I expected my APAP to go down with weight loss, but it didn't. It may be the machine behavior at a setting of 5 or my throat. I'm reluctant to move the lower pressure setting before I observe the oximeter.

I'm thinking about pursuing these steps:

1. Observe oximeter readings (btw, found a new CMS 50e on ebay for $90 from the manufacturer)
2. Lower pressure
3. Go for an in home sleep test

Gerry

Gerry in Florida

roster

Post by roster » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:54 am

Sure, drop your pressure one cm per night and check every morning to see if the results are acceptable. Check the results using 1)your machine's data and 2)the recording pulse-oximeter and 3)subjective judgement of how you feel the next day.

What is your pressure setting?

BTW, in my estimate, not many people are cured of sleep apnea by weight loss. "It's not the size of the neck on the outside; it's the size of the airway in the neck."

Nevertheless, you are doing a fine thing by losing weight.

Last edited by roster on Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rooster
I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:20 am

My sleep doctor told me has has yet to see a cpap patient come off the machine due to weight loss.

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

Beachmeezer

Post by Beachmeezer » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:48 pm

I lost 50 pounds and thought maybe I didn't need to do this anymore. So I went a few days without it - felt great! few more days and about a week later I felt like crap. Then I had to start the cycle all over again to get back into the routine etc. I still needed it. I feel sleep apnea is one of the root causes of my weight gain - I had it before I got heavy so of course it's still there now that I've lost weight.

Only a sleep study is going to tell you if your sleep apnea is cured.
Kim

elena88

Post by elena88 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:02 pm

well, it sounds like you are doing so much better!

that would be the cat's meow if you did not need the cpap anymore.. but as everyone said, best make sure to be safe..

please let us know how it goes, in any case, Im glad for you that you are doing so well.

elena

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:09 pm

I dozed off on my brother's sofa and woke up with everyone looking at me and laughing.
Yep, I'm one of THOSE! Apparently, I can put a chainsaw to shame.
I can't even go 5 minutes without my Snuffle-up-agus outfit.

scrapper

Post by scrapper » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:19 pm

I will not be discontinuing my cpap until I'm dead..........probably not a minute earlier.

“Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% what you make of it.” Charles Swindoll

Prevail

Post by Prevail » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:27 pm

I, too, lost a lot of weight. I did this before I knew I had sleep apnea and even though I snore less, I still stop breathing. Even during periods where I don't snore, I still stop breathing.

I would say do a home study. My doctor let me do a home study for free where I just borrowed one of these babies for one night:

http://www.resmed.com/ap/products/scree ... clinicians

I don't think it would be too expensive to borrow one of these. Either way, it will measure apneas and hyponeas.

Prevail