Dried out sinus passage and congestion

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
volkrt

Dried out sinus passage and congestion

Post by volkrt » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:04 pm

Greetings All -

Sorry for the 5000th post on this subject im sure he he......fighting a bad cold at the moment and having a rough time with my machine ...my sinus passages are so dried out
they feel like I am breathing in fire and still have a nasty sinus infection ..most of my mucous is clear or white now but still getting some green ..especially after being on my machine...anyway I did a lot of searching thru old posts but couldn't find what I was looking for.....i'm looking for a natural way to help heal my mucous membranes and eliminate the dryness and also a natural way to clear up this sinus infection I have...by natural way I mean thru oils or vitamins please...I have tried playing with the heat settings on my remstar but the it doesn't seem to help at all if the setting is low or high...the higher on go on the heat the drier my nasal passages become it seems..I would have thought it would be the opposite......appreciate any tips or info you could pass along for things that have worked for you...I use a neilmed rinse once a day also...thanks

bdp522

Re: Dried out sinus passage and congestion

Post by bdp522 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:30 pm

Too much heated humidity can cause more problems than too little. Try turning the humidifier off and just use it passover mode for a night or two. Maybe even start with cold water from the fridge in the humidifier tank. It just might help.

Brenda

volkrt

Post by volkrt » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:16 pm

Thank you for reply and I will try that.....any natural oils or vaporizers I can steam into my nostrils to help that you know of>?..and vitamins to help break up infection and mucous?..thanks again

Twentysix

Post by Twentysix » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:50 pm

Not sure what it will do with congestion, but I am very happy with Nozoil (sesame oil) to prevent drying out of nasal membranes. Just don't use it right before bed, or you may get oil leakage on the nasal pillows, which makes them slippery. Maybe take a warm shower first, to losen any mucus? Hope you feel better soon.

volkrt

Post by volkrt » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:30 am

Thank you, I will try that also and keep looking for natural alternatives

Lee Lee

Post by Lee Lee » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:03 pm

If you'll check my posts, you'll see that I had the same problem.
What I did to fix it-
1. Went to the Doctor , and I had a very bad bacterial infection. Took several rounds of antibiotics to clear it.
2. Turned down the heat and humidity, but never go without it , as I did in the past.
3. STOPPED the Neilmed, on the recommendation of several members of this board,as some think it drives the infection further into the sinuses.Also seems to destroy the natural balance of good and bad bacteria. Salt is drying, as well. I was doing it way too much. This is a controversial point.
4.STOPPED the steroid nasal spray . and will never go back.

I wish you well, as I know what hell this can be. So painful and annoying.
Lee Ann

lbw

Post by lbw » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:08 pm

How about trying a little nasal lubbricant. I use a brand called secaris. Just a little dab will keep your nostrils moist. Available at any pharmacy.

volkrt

Post by volkrt » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:43 pm

Thanks you both for the info...guess i'll go into the doc and get myself checked out....thanks lee lee....seems like I am experiencing something close to what you had....going to taper way back on the sinus rinse....they said it was safe for every day use but I guess not for everyone..and your right lee lee, having this really blows

nobody

Post by nobody » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:19 am

I found that a room humidifier works much better for me than using the humidifier on the CPAP. I do still use the Neil Med rinse, but only if I've been working in the yard or house and got a lot of dust in my nose. Definitely don't use it if you have an infection, wait until that clears up.

alenpiter

Post by alenpiter » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:01 am

Turned down the heat and humidity, but never go without it , as I did in the past.