Blood in nose?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
zrons

Blood in nose?

Post by zrons » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:55 pm

My machine is a PR System One REMstar BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex. I am now using a Swift LT Nasal Pillow. During the day when I blow my nose I get little spots of blood and or small blood clots. This has gone on for the last 6 weeks after changing from a FFM to the Swift. No such problems before using the Swift. There is no pain or discomfort. It occurs regardless of the humidifier setting. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks

scrapper

Re: Blood in nose?

Post by scrapper » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:06 pm

It takes a bit to toughen up your nose........inserting a little lansinoh in and around your nose will help. Lansinoh is pure lanolin........found in baby aisles of most stores . It's in a purple tube, for nursing mom's. It's also called "nipple grease" by LInkC and others here. It's original purpose is to toughen up and heal cracked nipples from nursing. Lansinoh will not harm your nasal pillows (unlike vaseline based products). It works great on tender noses when using cpap also...........

“Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% what you make of it.” Charles Swindoll

sheepdog

Post by sheepdog » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:31 pm

yep it is the nose pillows thats doing it. I used to bleed daily in the morning and just thought I was having spontaneous nose bleeds. Once I got rid of the nose pillow mask and went to something else the bleeds stopped. Now my nose openings are so large none of the available pillows would fit anyway.
Respironics model 510 Auto Cpap w/ respironics heated humid. 14000 hrs as of Oct 23 2013
Swift LT / Comfort Gel Masks
Set to auto 10-20 cm/H2o setting.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:35 pm

Dryness can certainly perpetuate nose bleeds. I had this happen when I moved from high humidity Missouri to Las Vegas Desert and wasn't even on CPAP.

If you can finally break the cycle of blowing out the clot then the tissues will have a chance to heal. With every nosebleed you have to start healing all over again. I would suggest adding moisture during the day as well as at night. Blowing out even little clots tears the "scab" of the area and we all know that removing a scab too soon just prolongs final healing. If higher humidity settings doesn't help, then try adding moisture during the day to help prevent further drying at night. I will improve but will take a bit of time.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

mayondair

Post by mayondair » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:31 am

I had a little bit of that also, turning up the house humidifier solved the problem. Kathy
Any landing you walk away from is a good one; if you don't break your airplane it's excellent.

monarch22

Post by monarch22 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:06 am

That's interesting. I used to have this problem before I started using my CPAP. I think the humidifier has actually gotten rid of the problem for me. Now I never have blood in my nose. It was the one positive thing that I've noticed!!