Nose Piercing with Bipap mask?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LisaEileen

Nose Piercing with Bipap mask?

Post by LisaEileen » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:48 pm

I've been toying with the idea of getting my nose pierced, but I don't know if that would work with my bipap mask. I have two masks that I switch between depending if I'm congested or if my nose is getting red or whatever. I have the mirage quattro full face and the mirage hybrid full face with the nasal pillows. I'm thinking a nose piercing might be OK with the quattro, but I don't know if the nasal pillows would work. Anyone here have a nose piercing?

Bipap user since August 2009

needzzzzs

Re: Nose Piercing with Bipap mask?

Post by needzzzzs » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:40 pm

After seeing a nose piercing become infected (my daughter's), I would recommend against it in general, but especially for folks who are using any sort of sleep apnea mask. There are enough problems with noses and masks -- why add another potential one? Just my $.02, and not casting any aspersions on the fashion aspect of nose piercings.

Debbie
LisaEileen wrote:I've been toying with the idea of getting my nose pierced, but I don't know if that would work with my bipap mask. I have two masks that I switch between depending if I'm congested or if my nose is getting red or whatever. I have the mirage quattro full face and the mirage hybrid full face with the nasal pillows. I'm thinking a nose piercing might be OK with the quattro, but I don't know if the nasal pillows would work. Anyone here have a nose piercing?

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:37 pm

I would worry about the ring catching on the mask seals and tearing them if nothing else. My daughter had a nose ring for a while but finally decided to remove it and let the hole close. Even the small studs can get caught on things (at least hers did as she had a baby and wore the really small studs and they would still catch in the baby's clothing and blankets).
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:48 pm

LisaEileen wrote:I've been toying with the idea of getting my nose pierced, but I don't know if that would work with my bipap mask. I have two masks that I switch between depending if I'm congested or if my nose is getting red or whatever. I have the mirage quattro full face and the mirage hybrid full face with the nasal pillows. I'm thinking a nose piercing might be OK with the quattro, but I don't know if the nasal pillows would work. Anyone here have a nose piercing?
I had my nose pierced in 1986. I wear a small stud 24/7, and I've had no problems with using nasal pillows (and now my hybrid mask). I should mention that I bend the post on the stud into a right angle so it rests against the wall of my nostril and can't be seen. Also, I've had occasions where I had to shorten a post with a wire-cutter; when I do that, I file down the end of the post with a rasp or emery board so it's rounded and not sharp. I've been wearing studs this way since I got the piercing. It's not something I've had to amend since starting therapy.

A piercing would have no contact with the Mirage Quattro (or any other typical FF or nasal mask). Once it's healed, if you want or need to use a nasal pillows mask and you're concerned about the stud, you can just take it out for the night.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and fyi, the Resmed hybrid is called the Liberty. I use the RespCare Hybrid (same idea, different manufacturer).
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

jhfield4

Post by jhfield4 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:00 pm

I also wear a nose stud, and use nose pillows. No problems whatsoever, though I do have a stud with a flat back, so there's nothing sticking into my nostril to catch on the pillows. I love it, Go for it!

LisaEileen

Post by LisaEileen » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:24 am

Oh man was I tired when I posted that last night. I did mean to say Mirage LIberty, not Hybrid. lol

Thanks for the advice. That helps a lot. I guess I'll check into it and see if I can get a piercing with a flatter back to make sure it doesn't interfere with anything since it would be a few months before I could take it out to change it.

Bipap user since August 2009

bluewillowskys

Post by bluewillowskys » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:33 pm

I made an appointment to get a nose piercing on tuesday. Last night I realized my nose pillow and the humidity may prevent healing or cause infection. Should I be concerned ? Should I not get it?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:37 pm

bluewillowskys wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:33 pm
I made an appointment to get a nose piercing on tuesday. Last night I realized my nose pillow and the humidity may prevent healing or cause infection. Should I be concerned ? Should I not get it?
Just get cheek piercings instead, then you could do away with the headgear and tie the mask on. :roll: Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:15 am

bluewillowskys wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:33 pm
If you're using pillows I wouldn't worry about the humidity adversely affecting healing time. The inside of your nostrils are supposed to be humid :)

bluewillowskys

Post by bluewillowskys » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:42 pm

Jim.....BWAHAHAHA....UH....NO.... :D

Ricalynn..... thanks

Madmamax3

Post by Madmamax3 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:48 am

I know this thread is super old, I was just wondering if you ended up doing it? I'm considering the same thing and wondering the same thing!

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:39 pm

Madmamax3 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:48 am
I know this thread is super old, I was just wondering if you ended up doing it? I'm considering the same thing and wondering the same thing!
unfortunately, the OP hasn't been in for some time. don't know if this is related, but try this more current thread-
viewtopic/t176934/Starting-CPAP-wSeptum ... ation.html

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg