General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lars4life

Post by lars4life » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:25 am

Last edited by lars4life on Mon May 23, 2011 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robysue

Re: PR S1 Humidifier: Classic .vs. System One Humidification ?

Post by robysue » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:53 am

Need a bit more info lars4life: What's the humidifier set to when running in classic mode? And in the fancy mode? Most folks seem to report more water disappearing in classic than fancy mode.

From my patient level understanding of the PR S1 humidifier system, the idea behind the fancy mode is that the humidifier will constantly adjust the heat in order to keep the relative humidity of the air coming out of the hose constant. Whereas in classic mode, the heat is held constant, so the relative humidity delivered at the mask varies through the night, which is what can lead to rainout problems.

So it could be that living in dry Colorado forces the PR S1 humidifier to pump far more water into the very dry air than anticipated by its designers in order to keep the relative humidity in the delivered air at the chosen constant level. Hence the humidifier is heating the water more than it would in the corresponding setting in classic mode. And hence you run out of water in fancy mode, but not classic mode.

Don't know if that makes sense or not. Let me know if I muddied the waters instead of clarifying them

lars4life

Post by lars4life » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:19 am

Last edited by lars4life on Mon May 23, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robysue

Post by robysue » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:43 am

lars4life wrote: I think I like classic mode better. We have central heat and air, so the room temp remains constant.
Humidity is related to temperature, so I don't think the room air humidity changes throughout the night?
The relative humidity in your bedroom is related to both the (constant) bedroom temperature AND the relative humidity of the outside air. The relative humidity in your house won't swing as greatly as the outside humidity (unless you have the windows open), but it will vary in relation to the outside humidity: If there's a lot of humidity (for example, when it's raining) outside, then the air brought into the house through the heating system's air intakes will have more humidity than if it's bone dry outside the house, and hence the relative humidity in the house will be (somewhat) greater when the outside air's relative humidity is greater.

The fact that your bedroom temp is constant probably means that in classic mode at a setting of 1 you are effectively getting a pretty constant relative humidity through the hose but this constant relative humidity is likely LOWER THAN the desired relative humidity that is the default setting for fancy mode = 1. That would be enough to explain why fancy mode runs out of water when classic doesn't: In fancy mode = 1, it's trying to pump more the water into the naturally dry air because it's trying to get the relative humidity up to a higher level than the more-or-less constant level achieved by classic mode = 1.

The fact that you prefer classic mode (and a low setting at that) most likely indicates that you simply don't like breathing very humid air in the first place. Your problem with fancy = 1 may be that its too humid for your tastes as well as you run out of water too soon.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:30 pm

Ah, Roby Sue's explanation makes good sense.

I find the opposite:
On default mode, the water in my tank lasts for a WEEK. On classic mode, I have to replenish it every other day!

I prefer classic mode during the winter, because the vented air is not quite so frigid (it's not warm, however).
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

lars4life

Post by lars4life » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:27 pm

Last edited by lars4life on Mon May 23, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roster

Post by roster » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:37 pm

lars4life wrote:Reservoir running out...I guess it's "location, location, location"
More likely "dewpoint, dewpoint, dewpoint, flow, flow, flow"

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

lars4life

Post by lars4life » Sat May 07, 2011 1:53 pm

Last edited by lars4life on Mon May 23, 2011 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

roster

Post by roster » Sat May 07, 2011 6:11 pm

lars4life wrote:Dewpoint depends on... Location, location, location! Living in Colorado, it's dry and I finally am free of bloody noses using my
Swift FX nasal pillows. Why? Because I turned my humidifier up to 4 out of 5 max.
Here in NC we have uncomfortable dewpoints much of the year. I used my CPAP humidifier no more than 10 days this winter and then only at settings 1 and 2.

The seventh grader across the street told me at noon today, "It feels great outside today!"

We went inside and checked weather.com and saw the dewpoint was 46F .

I posted a couple of links explaining dewpoint and showing comfort charts on his FB wall. He is a very bright seventh grader.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related