ResScan - printing of customized reports

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Breathe Jimbo

ResScan - printing of customized reports

Post by Breathe Jimbo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:40 am

I am having this quirk with 3.14 and "All Available Data." Since I did not try to customize my reports with prior versions of ResScan, I do not know whether it was a problem with them, too.

I have customized my "All Available Data" Report to include only 5 graphs - respiratory rate, events, flow limitation, flow, and leak, in that order. When I view this report in ResScan, the Detailed Graphs section has those five graphs on one page and ends with that page (page 4). However, when I print the Report, the PDF that is generated has an extra page (page 5) showing the last two graphs -- flow and leak -- a second time and larger vertically. If I change the order of the detailed graphs so that the last two on page 4 are different, the extra page will include the last two from the prior page.

Anyone know how to change the customized report or other settings to avoid printing the extra, 5th page duplicating the last two detailed graphs? This looks like a bug. When printing, say, 30 days worth of graphs, this problem would add an extra 30 pages.

Anyone else have this problem?

Last edited by Breathe Jimbo on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slinky

Re: ResScan - printing of customized reports

Post by Slinky » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:39 pm

Bump

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Breathe Jimbo

Post by Breathe Jimbo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:32 pm

Does anyone have any insight, based on personal experience, whether ResMed would be unhappy if I, a mere patient, were to report a bug in ResScan? I don't want to contact them directly if there is any possibility that they might make it harder for patients to download the software. Has anyone else contacted them about ResScan problems, bugs, feature requests, etc.?

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:27 am

Breathe Jimbo wrote:Does anyone have any insight, based on personal experience, whether ResMed would be unhappy if I, a mere patient, were to report a bug in ResScan? I don't want to contact them directly if there is any possibility that they might make it harder for patients to download the software. Has anyone else contacted them about ResScan problems, bugs, feature requests, etc.?
Just to clarify: You want five detailed graphs. You get four detailed graphs per page, so you should get four on the first detailed-graph page and one on the second detailed-graph page. But you're getting two graphs on the last page? The best place to report it is right on the forum. There are people from ResMed looking for feedback right here. If you could post examples of what you mean with circles and arrows, etc. pointing out the problem, that should do nicely. Either that or if you'll PM me a link to an example pdf I can download and allow me to post a depiction of the problem.

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:58 am

Last edited by Bodhi on Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All that is very well," answered Candide; "but let us cultivate our garden."
Voltaire, Candide, last line.

Breathe Jimbo

Post by Breathe Jimbo » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:16 am

@DreamDiver, not quite. I want five detailed graphs. I get all five detailed graphs on one page (page 4). When I view the report in ResScan 3.14, page 4 is the last page; no extra page and no duplicate graphs. However, when I print the report, the PDF that opens for printing has an extra, fifth page. The first four pages of the report are the same as when viewed in ResScan, but the new, fifth page in the PDF that is generated for printing repeats and slightly expands the last two detailed graphs on the new page 5. If I change the order of the detailed graphs, the duplicate graphs on the new, fifth page change accordingly -- only the last two on page 4 are duplicated on page 5.

Here is a screen capture of the PDF generated for printing, with the extra, fifth page duplicating the last two graphs of the report:

If I change the order of the detailed graphs, the two duplicate graphs on the last page will be the last two of the new order.

Breathe Jimbo

Post by Breathe Jimbo » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:15 am

I should clarify. The report as viewed in ResScan does not have pages. It is just one long scrolling document. That document ends with the five detailed graphs and no duplicate graphs. The duplicate graphs appear only in the PDF report generated for printing.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:14 pm

I just emulated your exact custom report. My pdf came out with the first three graphs on one page and two on the last.
On yours, it looks like it tried to compress all five on one page and then forgot what it was doing and printed out the last two a second time. I wonder if ResScan's postscript render creation engine is internal to ResScan, or if it depends on an postscript driver somewhere else on our computers.

BernieRay

Post by BernieRay » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:08 pm

The render is internal. I just fired up Process Explorer to monitor the activity during a large report generation. ResScan's CPU activity was very high and everything else was comparatively very low.

It may not be so much a bug as it is ResScan's reliance on old DLL/code libraries.
Last edited by BernieRay on Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray
Diagnosed in 1997

Breathe Jimbo

Post by Breathe Jimbo » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:31 pm

If I generate a report for a full week, the same problem occurs seven times -- i.e. seven extra pages, each one duplicating the last two graphs on the preceding page.

We don't really have any print controls to tinker with.

Last edited by Breathe Jimbo on Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Breathe Jimbo

Post by Breathe Jimbo » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:42 pm

The same extra page duplicating the last two graphs is created when I save a report to the list on the lower left, without printing.

I don't see any settings to control or modify the creation of PDFs.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:19 pm

I'm using Windows XP SP3 32-bit. (X PMode on my Win7 64-bit computer.)
What is your system setup?

Breathe Jimbo

Post by Breathe Jimbo » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:46 pm

Fully up-to-date 32-bit Vista under BootCamp on a MacBook. This is a very stable setup for running Vista and Windows programs.

TooGroggy

Post by TooGroggy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:12 pm

Not sure if this will do anything for you. But have a look at the RML files located in the ReportSchemes folder. The file specify the layout of the reports (in an faux-XML format) and include instructions for page breaks (i.e., <SECTION PageBreak='true'>).

TimWK

Post by TimWK » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:46 pm

I'm using Win7 Home Premium 64bit, ResScan 3.14 and if i create a report as you describe everything works fine.

Best Regards