Question about buying equipment online vs. DME provider

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sireneh

Question about buying equipment online vs. DME provider

Post by Sireneh » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:38 pm

I'm currently using a CPAP machine on trial, rented to me by a DME. I love the machine I'm using (although it's the only one I've tried ) and intend to purchase the same model when my trial is finished on May 2nd. I was just checking out pricing at cpap.com (I hope I'm allowed to list their name like that in my post) and have found them to be much better than what I could buy here. (I'm in Canada.) My insurance company tells me that online purchases are allowed, and the machine I like is an approved machine as well. My DME would sell the same machine to me for just over what my insurance company will cover, so we'd be out of pocket about $400.

So, I wanted to check with y'all to see what your thoughts are on buying online and then not having local support, as such. The online business provides call center kind of support, mind you.

Also, I am currently using a nasal mask and until last night when I tightened the straps, I found that it leaked a lot. What might make nasal pillows preferable? Does breathed air get vented out like with a nasal mask?

I've read a lot of articles and posts on this site and am really grateful that you are here. You've made me stop to consider several things that had not even occurred to me before. Thank you.

Janknitz

Re: Question about buying equipment online vs. DME provider

Post by Janknitz » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:19 pm

Hi and welcome!

Nasal pillow masks are more comfortable and easier to seal. If you can use a nasal mask without mouth leaks, you should be fine using a good nasal pillow mask. However, yes, they still vent out a lot of air (otherwise you would be rebreathing your C02--not a good idea!) and some of the configurations of the vent take "tweaking" so they don't drive you as it's an even more concentrated blast of cold, vented air.

You've got a good machine there, and it sounds like you can get a good deal on it at CPAP.com. There is no problem with "naming names" here, especially because CPAP.com sponsors this site By the way, I don't work for them or get any consideration for saying good things about them!

In an ideal world, it would be great to have local support, but local support is rarely very good (sometimes it's wonderful, you never know). Online support from CPAP.com has been excellent by all reports. As long as you don't have a very complex case or other life-threatening medical conditions, you can get the information and help you need from your doctor, cpap.com, and this site, and save yourself a lot of money.

The only area that doesn't hold true is your "first" mask. I say "first" in quotes, because it sometimes takes many tries to find the right mask. CPAP.com sells mask insurance that will allow you to return a mask and try another, but that's costly and time-consuming. It helps to have a brick and mortar store to go to and try on masks until you find THE mask that's right for you. Once you have settled on your "forever" mask, you can easily order replacements online.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:22 pm

Sireneh wrote:I'm currently using a CPAP machine on trial, rented to me by a DME. I love the machine I'm using (although it's the only one I've tried ) and intend to purchase the same model when my trial is finished on May 2nd. I was just checking out pricing at cpap.com (I hope I'm allowed to list their name like that in my post) and have found them to be much better than what I could buy here. (I'm in Canada.) My insurance company tells me that online purchases are allowed, and the machine I like is an approved machine as well. My DME would sell the same machine to me for just over what my insurance company will cover, so we'd be out of pocket about $400.

So, I wanted to check with y'all to see what your thoughts are on buying online and then not having local support, as such. The online business provides call center kind of support, mind you.

Also, I am currently using a nasal mask and until last night when I tightened the straps, I found that it leaked a lot. What might make nasal pillows preferable? Does breathed air get vented out like with a nasal mask?

I've read a lot of articles and posts on this site and am really grateful that you are here. You've made me stop to consider several things that had not even occurred to me before. Thank you.
Hi, Sireneh, and welcome to the forum.

cpap.com is the sponsor of this forum, so we love them. Their prices are very reasonable. If you buy online, you do lose the personal connection with a local DME or RT, but many of us have found a lot more help here in this forum than in the real world; I'm one of those who doesn't consider ditching my sleep doc and DME RT to have been a hardship at all. But of course, YMMV. If you have a really helpful DME/RT, that could be a viable tipping point.

All masks vent your expelled CO2. Many people prefer nasal pillows to any other type of mask. If you're not a mouth-breather and your pressure needs are reasonable, nasal pillows (or any nasal mask) can work very well. I think most people prefer the pillows because there's less mask on the face, and less chance of leaks. The pillows fit against the openings of your nostrils, so there's less area to worry about re: leaks, and the headgear is often minimal with pillows masks.

I'm glad you've found us. This place is a great resource for hoseheads. Again, welcome aboard.
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

Sireneh

Post by Sireneh » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:42 pm

Most helpful. Thank you!

Pillowtoss

Post by Pillowtoss » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:05 pm

I'm new to cpap using as well and I started out with a zest mask until it left my face bruised and all the leaking was so irritating.
I recently switched masks to a nasal pillow and I totally love my new mask with no problems what so ever. My machine is on a rental I think
also, but when that is over I would like a machine that tells me if I'm having leakage etc. What my DME gave me is very basic. I just glad it did not take me years to find the mask that works for me..

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:21 pm

Pillowtoss--your DME didn't "give" you anything, you accepted it AND you're paying for it. If you are on a rental basis because of Medicare, you should know that Medicare will pay for ANY CPAP/APAP machine, including the fanciest ones out there, that do have the data you would like to have. So if that's the case, the DME stuck you with a data-less machine so the DME could make more money off of you.

Waiting to the end of the rental period, the machine is yours, and on Medicare and most insurances, you will have to wait FIVE YEARS before they will pay for another one. If you have only had that machine a short time, you may be able (with difficulty, to be sure) to swap it out for a better machine. If you've had it for a while, the only way to get a data capable machine is to buy one, and you don't have to wait until the end of the rental period to do so. At least that way you could save your rental co-payments, unless you want to keep what you have around now as a backup machine. Data capable machines aren't terribly expensive if you buy online, or used on CPAPauction.com or secondwind.com.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Sireneh

Post by Sireneh » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:09 pm

That's how I felt, too: I walked into the RT's office and a machine was sitting on her desk all ready to go. She said she had wanted to see my nose before selecting a mask, and once she saw it she went and got me a mask and that was that. I did not even THINK to ask questions or to wonder what other options there might be. So I felt like it was the machine that I got and that was that. I'm glad I found this website early in the process because I would have paid way, way too much buying it from them, and wouldn't have known what else was out there.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:23 pm

Sireneh wrote:That's how I felt, too: I walked into the RT's office and a machine was sitting on her desk all ready to go. She said she had wanted to see my nose before selecting a mask, and once she saw it she went and got me a mask and that was that. I did not even THINK to ask questions or to wonder what other options there might be. So I felt like it was the machine that I got and that was that. I'm glad I found this website early in the process because I would have paid way, way too much buying it from them, and wouldn't have known what else was out there.
If that is the service you got for mask fitting then you are better off buying online. Would you have bought a pair of shoes from her?

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Hose_Head

Post by Hose_Head » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:52 pm

You didn't say where you are in Canada. Things vary by province.

Before ordering from a US online supplier, you might want to check out clinicalsleep.com which is in Vancouver. For some items, they are very competitively priced and they offer free shipping within Canada (cpap.com does not offer free shipping to Canada).

I have no affiliation with clinicalsleep.com
I'm workin' on it.

Pillowtoss

Post by Pillowtoss » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:01 pm

I told the DME That I did not want the machine they had on the table for me and he told me that this is the only machine that they work with and carry, because I told them that I wanted to choose the machine I wanted and not what they were giving me. Although I do love having a heated hose= no rain out issues with this machine. I did see in closets during my sleep study and I only saw tons of boxes with one brand machines and nothing else. I did ask questions the guy couldn't push me out of the place fast enough. They were no help at all and very impatient.

I have only had this machine a few weeks not even a month yet and I did not know much about the fancier machines until I joined this board.

Sireneh

Post by Sireneh » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:23 pm

BlackSpinner wrote: If that is the service you got for mask fitting then you are better off buying online. Would you have bought a pair of shoes from her?
Well, to be fair, she brought in a mask and then had me try it on and she showed me how to adjust the straps, etc. So she did put it on me and showed me how it worked, but it was not something that I saw as an opportunity to try on something else.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:58 pm

It's late and I am tired so maybe that is why I am confused.

The machine you want if you get it through the DME how much will you have to pay out of pocket after insurance?

The machine that you want online is how much? And your insurance do allow this and will cover online purchase? How much out of pocket for you then.

I bought my machines from an individual. I do have a DME that I use and he is happy to supply masks and other stuff he might have that I might need. I just marched into the office and told them I have this machine I got on my own but I would like to establish a place for masks. He said no problem and that he would do anything he could to help me.
You don't have to buy a machine from a DME to use them for masks. I would bet if you had machine trouble they would still help.

So figure out which is the better deal on your pocketbook.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:03 am

Hi Siren
I pm'd you with a message...to get your messages just go to "new messages" and click on it.
Welcome to the forum.
Cheers
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Sireneh

Post by Sireneh » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:52 pm

Pugsy wrote:It's late and I am tired so maybe that is why I am confused.

The machine you want if you get it through the DME how much will you have to pay out of pocket after insurance?

The machine that you want online is how much? And your insurance do allow this and will cover online purchase? How much out of pocket for you then.

I bought my machines from an individual. I do have a DME that I use and he is happy to supply masks and other stuff he might have that I might need. I just marched into the office and told them I have this machine I got on my own but I would like to establish a place for masks. He said no problem and that he would do anything he could to help me.
You don't have to buy a machine from a DME to use them for masks. I would bet if you had machine trouble they would still help.

So figure out which is the better deal on your pocketbook.
Oh, online is way better. I verified the price yesterday with my DME... the machine I have listed in my profile at the bottom is $2300 if I buy through them. And I am not even sure whether that includes the humidifier or not. My insurance covers $2,000 so I'd be out of pocket $300 or more, depending on the humidifier. CPAP.com sells the same machine INCLUDING the humidifier for $635. My DME sells the mask I want for double what I can get it for at CPAP.com.

I've checked with clinicalsleep.com in Canada, and while their prices are slightly higher than CPAP.com, the equipment will still come at a fraction of the price my DME sells it for. So that's probably the route I'll go: buy in Canada and still have the equipment come at no personal cost to me.

BernieRay

Post by BernieRay » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:06 pm

Have you considered what you will do if you buy online and the machine breaks? Unless a backup machine is available, what will you do while you wait for it to be fixed or replaced?
Ray
Diagnosed in 1997