General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lars4life

Post by lars4life » Fri May 06, 2011 4:15 pm

Last edited by lars4life on Mon May 23, 2011 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

lars4life

Post by lars4life » Fri May 06, 2011 4:42 pm

Last edited by lars4life on Mon May 23, 2011 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sireneh

Re: Kind of gross, but I gotta know....nasal pillows

Post by Sireneh » Fri May 06, 2011 4:50 pm

I just started using nasal pillows and I blow out some blood first thing in the morning, too. I'm not sure why either, but I'm not too concerned about it as I don't see anymore blood after that first time. Still, would be interested to see what others have to say.

So Well

Post by So Well » Fri May 06, 2011 4:53 pm

lars4life wrote:Since I switched from a full face mask to a Swift FX Nasal Pillow, I have been experiencing a
small amount of blood in my nasal discharge when blowing my nose. The presence of any blood
soon goes away later in the morning.
I consider a small amount nearly normal. Both before I used CPAP and after. Since it is small I don't worry about it.
lars4life wrote:I forgot to mention that I use Ocean nasal spray before bed and in the morning. I do not
have any sinus problems, no colds, no allergies. Also, I have my PR System One Humidifier set to 2
and at my pressure it goes from full to almost empty in 8 or 9 hours.
1. If you have no sinus problems, no colds, no allegies, why use a saline spray? Why not try letting your body take care of itself naturally?

2. You have a high water usage which could be due to the high pressure. It could also be due to mouthbreathing with a nasal mask (very bad). Was the water usage this high with the FFM? Do you/did you ever awaken with a dry mouth? Do you have the software to monitor your mask leak line?
Last edited by So Well on Fri May 06, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So Well
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and the government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

snoozysue

Post by snoozysue » Fri May 06, 2011 4:54 pm

I find that if I use a nasal gel to moisturise the inside of my nose it doesn't bleed. If I don't use the gel for a few days then the inside of my nose becomes very dry and bleeds easily.

lars4life

Post by lars4life » Fri May 06, 2011 5:06 pm

Last edited by lars4life on Mon May 23, 2011 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

So Well

Post by So Well » Fri May 06, 2011 5:30 pm

lars4life wrote: I was surprised by So Well's reply and searched Neti Pot usage and found that constant use is actually NOT good.
So, maybe nasal spray is not to be used every night also? I will try to lay off the nasal spray and see if the
bleeding goes away. Maybe I'm rinsing out the protective mucous lining with the nasal spray?

Now I am a proponent of saline rinses with a Neti Pot, but only use it myself when I am having problems. Like when I have congestion due to a cold or seasonal allergies. As a guess, I would venture that I used the Pot 30 out of the last 365 days. Otherwise, "if it ain't broke don't fix it."
So Well
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and the government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

jbn3boys

Post by jbn3boys » Fri May 06, 2011 7:27 pm

My first thought was that you might want to increase your humidifier setting, but since you are using that much water, I guess you probably can't.
lars4life wrote:I do not mouth breathe. I use a chin strap. If I mouth breath with nasal pillows, it makes a sound and wakes
both me and the wife. I do not have dry mouth either.
I have recently found out that it IS possible to mouth breathe without making noise. Instead of opening your entire mouth, just the lips are parted. It is also possible, in this way, to mouth breathe with a chin strap.

Just a thought.

aPAP for 4 months, Switched to BiPap, 2nd sleep study Feb 2011 Possible PLMD
to quote Madalot..."I'm an enigma"

gasp

Post by gasp » Fri May 06, 2011 7:52 pm

I see you use a humidifier. Do you think your humidifier is delivering the right amount of humidity? If not are your nasal passages drying out from dry air?

I too endorse using a Neti Pot to clear mucous from seasonal allergies or remnants of a cold. I use the Neti Pot salt sold by the Himalayan Institute in distilled water as I have a sensitivity to chemicals in our tap water.

jauguston

Post by jauguston » Fri May 06, 2011 8:20 pm

I have been on CPAP for three weeks now using a Swift FX and am experiencing the same small bits of blood in my nasal drainage in the morning. I am blowing my nose for a hour or more every morning. I have tried all humidifier settings and for me 1 is best.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri May 06, 2011 8:31 pm

When I used my Swift FX, I had a sneezing fit of around 7 sneezes in a row about 3 hours after waking every morning--practically every morning.
I rarely had any blood, but I can easily see where it could happen. Pillows were definitely tough on my nose-not horribly so, but significant.

So Well

Post by So Well » Sat May 07, 2011 8:20 am

chunkyfrog wrote:When I used my Swift FX, I had a sneezing fit of around 7 sneezes in a row about 3 hours after waking every morning--practically every morning.
You must be controlled by a digital timer.
So Well

lars4life

Post by lars4life » Sat May 07, 2011 1:50 pm

Last edited by lars4life on Mon May 23, 2011 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

gasp

Post by gasp » Sat May 07, 2011 2:21 pm

lars4life wrote:Sweet success last night. I turned my humidifier up to 4. (range 0 - 5). This felt misty, wet and warm, pleasant.
And best of all in the AM there was no trace of blood in my nose!
Living in dry Colorado, I should have known to up the humidity.
Yeah! That's great! Glad that solved your problem

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Sat May 07, 2011 2:51 pm

You think THAT was gross??? Stick around...

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...