Shingles Vaccination for Ages 50 - 59

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
roster

Shingles Vaccination for Ages 50 - 59

Post by roster » Mon May 09, 2011 6:01 pm

Shingles Vaccination (Herpes Zoster Vaccination)
March 24, 2011
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) today approved the use of Zostavax, a live attenuated virus vaccine, for the prevention of shingles in individuals 50 to 59 years of age. Zostavax is already approved for use in individuals 60 years of age and older.

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/ ... 248390.htm
See also viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39351&p=596027#p596027

Also note that doctors can prescribe the vaccine for those under 50 if they believe it beneficial. This is often done when the patient has another health problem that would be badly effected by a shingles outbreak. I think about a shingles outbreak on the face and head and having to wear a CPAP mask and headgear - could be a big problem.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

greatunclebill

Re: Shingles Vaccination for Ages 50 - 59

Post by greatunclebill » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:30 am

my wife (59) and I (63) both got the shingles vaccine last weekend at the pharmacy with a prescription from the doctor. tricare covered both of us 100%. the tech told us the non-insurance price is $220 each. whew........

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

fredr500

Post by fredr500 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:36 am

I got one as well. A friend mentioned it, I hadn't heard of it. Called our on-site health care, they said they had it, come in at my convenience. It was recommended for anyone over 55 IIRC.

I dropped in, got the shot, and was out in 5 minutes. No charge.

Said I need a booster in 5 years, they'd call me.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:40 am

I have my RX for when I can get around to scraping up the $. With my insurance it still costs me $95.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

John from Brookston

Post by John from Brookston » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:06 am

Last winter I was ready to go to war with my doctor over the vaccination, since I thought 55 was plenty close enough to get it. "Sure," she said, "They approved it for 50-year-olds". So I got it. Figured the benefit of not developing shingles outweighed the miniscule chance of developing Autism.

Big fat guy who's diabetic, on HRT, and now a heart attack survivor as well as having OSA (boy, I sure won the genetic rodeo, din't I?). Ham Radio operator and I have a black tomcat named "Bart" who looks like an old prize fighter.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:23 am

My hubby and I both had the shot several years ago; and he had a minor recurrence a couple of years ago.
A lot of docs think they're good for a lifetime. Maybe not!

msla

Post by msla » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:48 am

My father-in-law had a bad case of the shingles. It left him with post herpatic neuralgia that made the last 3 years of his life miserable. $220 would have been a small price to pay when I think of his painful 3 years. If you feel a tingling like road rash without a skin eruption, get to a Dr. and have it looked at. If you are dx within 72 hours, antiviral can be rx, also about $200 tha last time I fought off the virus.

ResMed S9 Auto set/Heated humidifier/AirFit N30i
diagnosed and began CPAP treatment 2003.

johnthomasmacdonald

Post by johnthomasmacdonald » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:04 am

I got mine yesterday at the stop and shop pharmacy. It's expensive, it would have cost $250 but my insurance knocked that down to $105. My mother died from complications of shingles

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:08 am

my doctor and the pharmacist both told us that the vaccine is only needed once in a lifetime.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

Kate M

Post by Kate M » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:34 am

greatunclebill wrote:my doctor and the pharmacist both told us that the vaccine is only needed once in a lifetime.
This is true but it is not a guarantee that you will not get shingles. It does reduce your risk by about 50% though.

On Waking by John O'Donohue
I give thanks for arriving/ Safely in a new dawn/ for the gift of eyes/ To see the world/ The gift of mind/ To feel at home/ In my life...

DJD52

Post by DJD52 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:40 am

Kate M wrote:
greatunclebill wrote:my doctor and the pharmacist both told us that the vaccine is only needed once in a lifetime.
This is true but it is not a guarantee that you will not get shingles. It does reduce your risk by about 50% though.
I was told I would only need one also.
I had Shingles a few years ago and it's HORRIBLE! It left me with nerve damage that still bothers me 3 years later, tho it's just irritating now and not painful.

This is a vaccine all should get. I forgot to get it the last time at the doctors. My ins wouldn't cover it at all until I hit 60. I just know I don't want to EVER go through having Shingles again. I was lucky when it did hit as I went to the doctor right away and got a shot that had the actual red painfully/excrutiating areas healed over in less than a week... but the nerve issues were left.

DJ

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:43 am

If you feel a tingling like road rash without a skin eruption, get to a Dr. and have it looked at. If you are dx within 72 hours, antiviral can be rx, also about $200 tha last time I fought off the virus.
I have a spot on the shoulder where it meets the neck which is very sore as if someone hit me there really hard. It feels like a bad bruise. I can't see anything on the surface, and I didn't injure it. It feels superficial, not deep. All I can think of is shingles. It doesn't burn or tingle, just hurts. The water in my shower this morning hurt and the weight of my clothing hurts it. Could it be? This started last night. But it seems silly to schlep to the doctor. There's nothing to see and it doesn't hurt all that much.

My husband had shingles about 10 years ago. This awful black lesion appeared on his leg like a giant spider, although he had no pain. . I was convinced it was a malignant melanoma and I dragged him to the doctor, but it turned out to be shingles. He's never had a recurrence, thank goodness.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:00 am

It always seems like a minor thing at first; then it goes like gangbusters.
Go to the doctor; the pain and sensitivity sounds very much like shingles; later it gets much worse . . . and fast!

purple

Post by purple » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:12 pm

"I dropped in, got the shot, and was out in 5 minutes. No charge."

That does not ring true to me, unless they have changed how the Shingles vaccination is compounded. I have not heard of an insurance which pays for a Shingles shot, but they do something to reduce the price.

When I got it some 14 months ago; The stuff had to be kept in a freezer. Took several minutes to make sure the prescription was accurately written, get the insurance approval, I paid like 110 , not sure, I also bought some things at the pharmacy that day. I do recall that the CD's, Aspirin and stuff totaled out to be like $180. I had Medicare and a Part D provider. The part D provider did not pay anything, but they did cause it to go down from two hundred. I had to pay for the thing before taking the next steps. The pharmacist, once they start on preparing the Shingles immunization, will not stop for any thing else, no other customer, phone call. The pharmacist takes the stuff out of the freezer, and then goes through the prep, which took like 15 minutes. After another five minutes, they give me the shot, and then I have to hang around for what, another thirty minutes to make sure I do not have some kind of adverse effect.

I have not heard any recommendation of a booster. One can get shingles again, it is disease of a weakened immune system. Just the immunization can help. Likewise, some docs say that if you developed Shingles, then that has the same benefit as the shot. Some docs say that even after having Shingles, then the shot can help. I think because the occurrence of Shingles is when the immune system is weak, the shot should be given when the immune system is strong, and that immune system will build better antibodies.

Sounds like a shot given less than five minutes, paid for one hundred percent by insurance, with a booster in five years; Sounds more like a tetanus, diphtheria, pneumonia shot which is often given to older adults.

My medical doctors office would not give the shot, because each dose must be kept frozen, individually prepared, (which takes a pharmacist who does compounding in sterile conditions), and given in less than thirty minutes after taking the dose out of the freezer.

I was told that treatment should begin when the infection begins, which is often before the first symptoms are seen. The urgency of treatment is such that a suspicion of Shingles is enough reason to go to an ER, and yes doctors said that. . Having the disease above the shoulders is more serious than lower. It is distinguished is often seen as a rash, which goes exactly halfway across the body (like to the exact middle of my chest, and the same on my back). The little varmint hides out in the nerves in the spinal column, and when the immune system is weak, it rides the nerves out to the skin. Thereafter the little varmint jumps up and down on the top of the nerves and screams in a very loud voice, does that hurt. I will make it hurt worse, and then does. The pain is unbelievable, but the worst is if one has continuing nerve damage. Like some here have already mentioned, like to the eyes. I do not think my brain ever really recovered, even though my infection was below my shoulders.

I was told that it would appear somewhere in the longitude along the spinal column, if one had it once, it would recur at the same spot again. I know of someone who told me that the stress of his fathers funeral caused him to develop it a second time.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:13 pm

How would they know unless and until the skin lesion appears? I sure don't want to take heavy anti-viral drugs unless I'm certain???
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm