S9 Autoset LCD doesn't say same thing as software

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepingUgly

S9 Autoset LCD doesn't say same thing as software

Post by SleepingUgly » Wed May 11, 2011 10:08 am

On my S9 Autoset, the data I get from the LCD when I push the info button doesn't agree with the data it gives me when I push the two right hand buttons (even though it's set to display 1 day) and neither agrees with the software. What's up with this?
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

BernieRay

Re: S9 Autoset LCD doesn't say same thing as software

Post by BernieRay » Wed May 11, 2011 11:04 am

If you're referring to AHI, the S9 rounds numbers differently than the software. The other numbers have always matched for me. Well, except for my first S9 which erroneously carried data across days. The first time, a power disconnect resolved it. The second time required a new machine.
Ray
Diagnosed in 1997

robysue

Post by robysue » Wed May 11, 2011 6:24 pm

BernieRay wrote:If you're referring to AHI, the S9 rounds numbers differently than the software.
Yes, technically the software rounds the numbers to one decimal place, but the LCD truncates the decimals. For example, if the AHI is equal to 1.6666667, the software will round it to 1.7 and the LCD will truncate it at 1.6.
SleepingUgly wrote:the data I get from the LCD when I push the info button doesn't agree with the data it gives me when I push the two right hand buttons (even though it's set to display 1 day)
I have to admit, I don't remember ever looking closely enough at the short Sleep Report data (what you get with the info button) when I had my S9. I always immediately pushed those two right hand buttons to get into the detailed Sleep Report. Which data is different? And how big is the discrepancy?

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Wed May 11, 2011 7:41 pm

The discrepancy is huge. This morning the regular LCD said AHI 1.something and the two buttons together said something like AHI 6.something (per the software, the AHI from the previous night was 5.something, all from the 1+ hour I wore it awake until I chucked it). So, in short, it's not a rounding issue and there is a big discrepancy between the regular LCD and the two button LCD, and both vary from what the software says.
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

robysue

Post by robysue » Wed May 11, 2011 8:49 pm

SleepingUgly wrote:The discrepancy is huge. This morning the regular LCD said AHI 1.something and the two buttons together said something like AHI 6.something (per the software, the AHI from the previous night was 5.something, all from the 1+ hour I wore it awake until I chucked it). So, in short, it's not a rounding issue and there is a big discrepancy between the regular LCD and the two button LCD, and both vary from what the software says.
Yep, that's a BIG discrepancy that's not due to round off between what you're describing as the regular LCD ad the two buttons together numbers. That's why I ask for clarification.

Since you've looked at the software's version of the data, I'll ask: Did you look at the wave form? You could do that and count the number of apneas you think you see to at least get an idea of which number(s) you think are most accurate. Over an hour or two of data, that's not too hard to do.

I can only think of two things right off the top of my head that could cause this problem:
  • A bad or corrupt data card that is somehow confusing the machine. But you'd think in this case the data wouldn't load at all into ResScan and that you'd get an error about the card when you put it in the machine.
  • A machine problem---i.e. a bug in the software somewhere or a quality control issue affecting your particular machine. Is it under warranty? Not sure the DME will help you---unless they set the machine up so that you could access your data. In that case, take it to the DME and show them the LCD vs. two button problem and see if they'll contact Resmed and ask for a replacement.
And I can't resist: Here's one wet noodle whipping to you SleepingUgly---you promised yourself and us (publically) that you'd try to sleep with the mask every night. When you get mad enough to chuck it across the room, it's time to get out of bed, go to a different room, and settle yourself down until you are both calm enough and sleepy enough to try masking up again. I had to do this very thing myself about 4 or 5 days ago. It happens. Not fun. Not pretty. But you can't let it get to you.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Thu May 12, 2011 7:15 am

In my case, I see it when I keep changing inputs and the machine needs to decide what to show for the period.

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Thu May 12, 2011 7:15 am

I didn't literally mean chuck it, but just didn't keep trying to use it that night. When I have bad insomnia, I have to eliminate all the things that are making me uncomfortable (even if they aren't the cause of the insomnia, they are sometimes prolonging it). I often take off my wrist splints too. It's a cost benefit analysis that I've made given my performance in recent days when I had significant sleep loss.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Thu May 12, 2011 7:25 am

So what "tests" do I need to do before I ask the DME for a replacement machine?

robysue

Post by robysue » Thu May 12, 2011 7:48 am

SleepingUgly wrote:So what "tests" do I need to do before I ask the DME for a replacement machine?
Since you're claiming the machine is incapable of accurately recording the data, I think what you need to do is keep a detailed written log displaying the two LCD numbers for a week or two. And when you have a bunch of days with large discrepancies, bring the machine ON A DAY with a big discrepancy itself and show them how big the gap is. Then ask them to compare to the data they can download in ResScan and ask for exchange at that point.

As for eliminating the possibility of a bad data card, try using a fresh, brand new card. And see if that helps.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Thu May 12, 2011 8:07 am

robysue wrote:As for eliminating the possibility of a bad data card, try using a fresh, brand new card. And see if that helps.
Would just reformatting the card work?

BernieRay

Post by BernieRay » Sat May 14, 2011 4:28 am

SleepingUgly wrote:The discrepancy is huge. This morning the regular LCD said AHI 1.something and the two buttons together said something like AHI 6.something (per the software, the AHI from the previous night was 5.something, all from the 1+ hour I wore it awake until I chucked it). So, in short, it's not a rounding issue and there is a big discrepancy between the regular LCD and the two button LCD, and both vary from what the software says.
Trying simply unplugging the power cord for a few seconds. I had very weird numbers twice - the data in my case was actually accumulating across days. Iused my camera to make a short video to show the DME. The first time was resolved by simply unplugging the power, which I now do weekly as a maintenance step. The second time, however, wasn't resolved with a power disconnect. I got that machine replaced.
Ray
Diagnosed in 1997