why does the humidifer chamber need replacing so often?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DougVK

why does the humidifer chamber need replacing so often?

Post by DougVK » Tue May 24, 2011 11:23 pm

The chamber is made of hard plastic so why does it need to be replaced every few months? Is there a big deal if I wait a year to replace it? Seems kind of odd this needs replacing more than once a year.

bdp522

Re: why does the humidifer chamber need replacing so often?

Post by bdp522 » Wed May 25, 2011 4:18 am

I've had the same humidifier chamber since starting xpap. It gets washed well, dried well and reused. Never needed to replace it. My insurance allows replacements every 6 months, but it doesn't mean you need it that often. My insurance also replaces hoses every month. I don't need new hoses that often either. I called and told them to stop auto delivery on these items. When I need something I will let them know!

Brenda

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Wed May 25, 2011 6:57 am

Now you know why your health insurance premiums are so high. There is no way you need to replace items on a strict schedule. I've been using the same hose and water chamber for over a year. I also used my quattro for a year, but now I've saved up enough $$$ to buy a new mirage ultra, plus I swap and trade masks with good folks on this forum.........no, I do not have insurance that pays for this stuff.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

msradar65

Post by msradar65 » Wed May 25, 2011 9:21 am

I would also check to see if they make dishwasherable version as well. I had to get a special order from my doctor for one for my S9 autoset. I have to agree though. No need to replace that frequently. I let my insurance send me supplies on schedule until I got a good stock. Now that I am loosing my insurance I am good for at least a year!
Diagnosed 08/31/10. Titration 9/02/10. Started CPAP 11/01/10. Auto mode 10-15cm. Alternate mask GoLife for her. Back up mask Full-life full face w/Pad-a-cheek mask liner. Comtec CMS F50 wrist pulse oximeter. Sobakawa Cloud Pillow, Sleepyhead software

DougVK

Post by DougVK » Wed May 25, 2011 9:24 am

msradar65 wrote:I would also check to see if they make dishwasherable version as well. I had to get a special order from my doctor for one for my S9 autoset. I have to agree though. No need to replace that frequently. I let my insurance send me supplies on schedule until I got a good stock. Now that I am loosing my insurance I am good for at least a year!
Did you actually replace your whole mask too every few months. My insurance says new mask with headgear every 6 months. Not sure why the mask frame or heagear would go bad either. The cushions I understand, and I will get a new one of those each month.

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Wed May 25, 2011 9:41 am

I just came up for my first 6-month humidifier tank replacement - which I took. The only reason I did was to have a back up. Same with my climateline.
The only items I do and will take at the scheduled times are mask cushions and air filters.
Also, I have taken a new mask as I believe until the 'perfect' one works 100% for me it's sensible (IMHO) to have at least a couple to select from. My DME will give me 2 replacement cushions and/or nasal pillows per month and I can have them in any combination depending on which mask/s I'm using most.

Cheers,
xena

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed May 25, 2011 9:43 am

I suggest getting at least one spare one when your insurance will pay.

Use the new one, clean the old one thoroughly and let it sit somewhere in a dry location so it can dry out and be a less favorable environment for bacteria and mold growth. Once you have a spare humidifier chamber, try dishwashing the old one and seeing if it handles it well. I switch my chambers every week or so.

It's a good idea to have at least one spare of very item, in case you break or lose one.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed May 25, 2011 10:05 am

The chamber is made of hard plastic so why does it need to be replaced every few months?
So they can make money off you. Called "Planned Obsolescence". It is the greatest sales gimmick ever invented. Read any business manual and they will tell you that any product that disintegrates or needs replacing constantly is a gold mine. They designed the humidifier that comes with my S8 so that it is almost impossible to clean properly, the designer probably got a bonus for that.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed May 25, 2011 10:17 am

DougVK wrote: Did you actually replace your whole mask too every few months. My insurance says new mask with headgear every 6 months. Not sure why the mask frame or heagear would go bad either. The cushions I understand, and I will get a new one of those each month.
Many use this 6 month "new mask and headgear" allowance to try an entirely new mask and still can use the older mask which is still quite serviceable with the new cushions.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

msradar65

Post by msradar65 » Wed May 25, 2011 12:07 pm

DougVK wrote: Did you actually replace your whole mask too every few months. My insurance says new mask with headgear every 6 months. Not sure why the mask frame or heagear would go bad either. The cushions I understand, and I will get a new one of those each month.
yes, I did replace headgear and frame. I also bought some back up stuff off ebay. I also have extra climateline hoses and a regular hose as back up. Since I had no desire to change masks, I am very happy with my Swift LT for her, I mainly focused on having extras paid for by insurance since i have zero deductible.

So I am well stocked now...which is good...cause my insurance ends this month and I can't afford COBRA.
Diagnosed 08/31/10. Titration 9/02/10. Started CPAP 11/01/10. Auto mode 10-15cm. Alternate mask GoLife for her. Back up mask Full-life full face w/Pad-a-cheek mask liner. Comtec CMS F50 wrist pulse oximeter. Sobakawa Cloud Pillow, Sleepyhead software

70sSanO

Post by 70sSanO » Wed May 25, 2011 12:31 pm

This is the first time that I have gone to a DME. I have insurance, but I didn't want the hassle of dealing with a brick & mortar DME and buying online was not considered a preferred provider so I have paid out of pocket for all my supplies since I started.

That said I have bought 2 complete masks and 2 hoses online over the past 10 years... and a bunch of replacement parts, a few partial masks, filters, and who knows how many Ultra Mirage FF forehead supports off ebay.

When I got a new machine I decided that I would try the DME route. I am set up to get a new mask, hose, and filters every 3 months. I agree that I hardly need a new mask and hose that often, but it will help me to build up a stash of supplies without having to scrounge around like I did in the past.

If I were you I would build up some reserves. You can always back off on the supplies when you reach an acceptable level that will support those 2:00am repairs without having to resort to fishing line, tape, or zip ties.

John
AHI: 2.5
Central: 1.7
Obstructive: 0.3
Hypopnea: 0.5
Pressure: 6.0-8.0cm on back with cervical collar.
Compliance: 15 Years

BernieRay

Post by BernieRay » Thu May 26, 2011 4:54 pm

My first chamber was used for 13 years. When it was replaced last November, it wasn't out of need. It literally looks new. I wanted to try the S9's H5i, so that's what I'm using. The funny thing, is that after trying a range of temp/humidity settings, I'm using it in passive mode. Should have kept the money I spent on the H5i, and kept using my old one.
Ray
Diagnosed in 1997

gasp

Post by gasp » Thu May 26, 2011 5:34 pm

I too got more than one so I had a back up - then just keep using the same ones over and over - rotating.

I turn over the one used last night onto a clean towel with space under it so air can dry it out and use the alternate chamber for the next night - and so on.

I've used the same chambers now for 2 years and they look perfectly new. I do use distilled water so there is no mineral residue build up.

lars4life

Post by lars4life » Thu May 26, 2011 5:52 pm

I've had my humidifier chamber for a couple months, new to xpap, and I clean it every day, rince it out with
tap water, let id try out. Never had a problem with it. I will get a new one if my insurance will cover it at
six months, mainly for a backup.

sleeping beauty guy

Post by sleeping beauty guy » Sat May 28, 2011 1:18 am

DougVK wrote:
msradar65 wrote:I would also check to see if they make dishwasherable version as well. I had to get a special order from my doctor for one for my S9 autoset. I have to agree though. No need to replace that frequently. I let my insurance send me supplies on schedule until I got a good stock. Now that I am loosing my insurance I am good for at least a year!
Did you actually replace your whole mask too every few months. My insurance says new mask with headgear every 6 months. Not sure why the mask frame or heagear would go bad either. The cushions I understand, and I will get a new one of those each month.

Hi there

You have the same compressor amd humidifier that I have.

My mask differs by having a screw jack fitting on my forhead where the top straps attach.

I read your software information and I have never been given, as in sold, the software.

I also see that consumers will receive no software support from Philips.

Any reference to my SD card has been at my providers computer.

I have the same full face mask, single wall flex hose, compressor and humidifier that I started out my 2 month trial period with.

I did try a nose mask and a full face gel seal mask but for only minutes not hours or days, I had allergy issues.

I was not presented with any non-silicone seal masks, apparently we can't get them here in Vancouver.

Rarely a lower snap in fitting pops out, not a common occurence, I was given some spares when I mentioned this.

A few times the mask swivel pops apart but snaps right back into place again.

At this time I have turned my humidifier setting down to zero, it was at least 5 at the start of the trial.

I use Vancouver's very clean tap water in the humidifier, no residue thus far.

Even with the zero setting the air passing over the water will carry some moisture.

I would caution anyone from using solvents of any kind, ex. lacquer thinner may disolve the plastic. to clean out the humidifier chamber.