sleeping on the right pillow

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
elephant35

sleeping on the right pillow

Post by elephant35 » Fri May 27, 2011 7:37 pm

I'm having neck and upper back problems as a result of sleeping on a pile of pillows to give me enough support. I sleep on my back because sleeping on the side causes my mask to come off slightly. I use two normal pillows (fairly thin) and one tri-pillow (big triangle) underneath. I've tried using just one normal pillow, and my head goes back too much, I've tried using two normal pillows, but the same thing happens. I've tried the tri-pillow and one normal pillow, but there is a gapping hole under my upper back. It seems like my head can't lie flat but I need to turn it to the side slightly when I wear the headgear and therefore I need a sort of barrier so my head doesn't turn too much either way or else it hurts my neck.

What kind of pillow combination or special sleep pillows do you use? Any suggestions for pillows to use with Swift II and chin strap?

Thanks a lot

Spirit

Re: sleeping on the right pillow

Post by Spirit » Fri May 27, 2011 8:02 pm

I sleep best without pillows, using my arm as support. I sleep on my stomach. I tried many different types of pillows, including theraputic, and alway's end up tossing pillows to the floor or other parts of the bed. Sometimes, I place my hands underneath my stomach, and rest my head on the bed. I don't know, maybe elevation from pillows was cutting off my airway, or moved mask around (leaks). Haven't used pillows in a long time.

But, when I did use a pillow, found that super cheat, flat/thin walmart pillow, folded over worked best, between my arm/head.

rubymom

Post by rubymom » Fri May 27, 2011 8:10 pm

I used the pillow made from buckwheat hulls. I originally got it after reading about it here. I hated it because it was too hard. But I went back to it. Then I switched again looking for something better. But am back with it once again. It is hard but I've gotten used to that. I find that softer pillows give too much. I can make a scooped out area for my mask to sit comfortably and all is well.

I recently stayed at a hotel with a "pillow library" and that gave me a chance to try out about five different kinds of pillows, including a water pillow. But I still love my hulls!

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Fri May 27, 2011 9:22 pm

What kind of mask are you using?
Go to the User Control Panel and put your equipment in TEXT in your profile. That will help.

elephant35

Post by elephant35 » Fri May 27, 2011 9:53 pm

Spirit wrote:I sleep best without pillows, using my arm as support. I sleep on my stomach. I tried many different types of pillows, including theraputic, and alway's end up tossing pillows to the floor or other parts of the bed. Sometimes, I place my hands underneath my stomach, and rest my head on the bed. I don't know, maybe elevation from pillows was cutting off my airway, or moved mask around (leaks). Haven't used pillows in a long time.

But, when I did use a pillow, found that super cheat, flat/thin walmart pillow, folded over worked best, between my arm/head.
But how can you sleep on your stomach with a mask on??

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri May 27, 2011 10:23 pm

elephant35 wrote: But how can you sleep on your stomach with a mask on??
I am not Spirit but I often sleep on my stomach. I do it just like I would if I didn't wear a mask.
I do use the buckwheat pillow (I need flatter pillow because of my neck) and I normally lay with right cheek on the pillow and face sort of at the edge of the pillow. Pretty much like I would without the mask on.

Look at my equipment profile and you will see that I use a nasal pillow mask with a very small footprint on my face. It is soft and I don't really notice it when face is squished into the pillow. It can be done with other masks, just have to make room at the edge of the pillow for the mask. Some even will cut out a place for the mask. I can't use my arms like Spirit does. Too much numbness from that position and arthritic neck and the metal plate in it.

Pillow preference is highly individual. What works for one person may not work for another. I like the buckwheat hull pillow because I can sort of roll it into small roll to support neck but not put the forward torque on my head that larger pillows do. That torque causes me to have headaches and neck pain. I have tried those pillows with the little concave area for head and hump for neck support but even the small hump is just a bit too much for me. I have thought the water pillow looked interesting but haven't done more than look.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

imsleepynomore

Post by imsleepynomore » Sat May 28, 2011 8:29 am

I have been using the CPAP pillow for 9 months now and noticed a decrease in my hpo,apo index.rate averages .5-.6 at this time has been as low as .2-.3

happysleeper

Post by happysleeper » Sat May 28, 2011 9:58 pm

I use a cervical neck support pillow, since I have neck spurs and must sleep mostly on my back or I get pain and tingling in my arms. My pillow is the one with a concave middle for my head, and two different size neck rolls for choosing to sleep under my neck. I like the thick side under my neck when I'm on my back and the thin side under my neck for the short amounts of time that I'm on my side. My physical therapist recommended this for my neck. The two sides support my head from rolling sideways somewhat.

Here's a link to a site that sells them, and a picture:
http://www.wellsphere.com/back-neck-pai ... oms/201581

It seems to accomodate my Optilife mask when I sleep on my side, too.

Good luck, it's a challenge to balance all of our physical needs in addition to using cpap! Between my mouth guard to protect my teeth from grinding, my cpap mask, and my foot splint for plantar fascitis, it takes me quite a while to get into my gear for sleep. But I don't usually wake up in pain any more. Whew!

SleepyHound

Post by SleepyHound » Sat May 28, 2011 10:16 pm

I just posted a similar issue! I bought a squishy roll pillow by Homedics this afternoon and hoping that it will position my head a little better and I will sleep better. I normally like a firm pillow on the bottom with a more loosely filled and softer pillow on top of that. It has been tricky to get comfortable with wearing a mask and snuggling into a pillow.
If chocolate could sing, it would sound like Josh Groban.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Sat May 28, 2011 11:02 pm

It depends on which type of mask you are using.

Spirit

Post by Spirit » Mon May 30, 2011 1:09 am

elephant35 wrote: But how can you sleep on your stomach with a mask on??
This link has images, so you can see

http://www.uarsrelief.com/sleeppositions.html