OT- Casey Anthony Trial in FL

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Stormynights

Re: OT- Casey Anthony Trial in FL

Post by Stormynights » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:35 pm

A few years ago a woman had a young child and then had a new baby. She went back to work and took her older child to the day care and went on to work. After work she went to pick up her children. The day care didn't have the new baby. She ran to her car and found the baby dead in the car seat. She was charged not with murder but something. I forgot now what it was. My heart went out to that woman. How do you figure right and fair.

codinqueen

Post by codinqueen » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:41 pm

I am very sad tonight that justice was not served for little Caylee. RIP, sweet baby, your murderer will eventually be judged by God Almighty.

Pressure 6-10 cm

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:09 pm

Stormynights wrote:A few years ago a woman had a young child and then had a new baby. She went back to work and took her older child to the day care and went on to work. After work she went to pick up her children. The day care didn't have the new baby. She ran to her car and found the baby dead in the car seat. She was charged not with murder but something. I forgot now what it was. My heart went out to that woman. How do you figure right and fair.
OMG, what a horrible story, that hurt just to read it.

I wonder if she had sleep apnea?
Thinking of quitting CPAP?

No problem, here's the first thing to do when you quit:

Advanced funeral planning. When you give up CPAP, you'll probably need it.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:14 pm

ameriken wrote:
Stormynights wrote:A few years ago a woman had a young child and then had a new baby. She went back to work and took her older child to the day care and went on to work. After work she went to pick up her children. The day care didn't have the new baby. She ran to her car and found the baby dead in the car seat. She was charged not with murder but something. I forgot now what it was. My heart went out to that woman. How do you figure right and fair.

Maybe just stressed going back to work with a new baby and just fell back into the old routine. I know she had to do some jail time.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:26 pm

ameriken wrote:

I remember that story. Heartbreaking. But no, I don't think sleep apnea had anything to do with it.

Unfortunately, similar stories are not as uncommon as they should be. Kids or pets left in a car are in grave danger, because the temp inside the car increases dramatically in very little time.

Here's some info and stats on this sad subject: http://ggweather.com/heat/
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

brothermike

Post by brothermike » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:51 am

I watched most of the trial on tv, and several comment based opinion programs and had formed an opinion of guilt. In his post trial statement, Defense Atty: Jose Baez sounded stunned and almost apologetic that the obviously guilty of something relating directly to the demise of her daughter, Casey, walked off not guilty. Watch a replay of that statement if you can and see if you don't see what I saw.

Gerald?

Post by Gerald? » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:47 pm

ameriken wrote:Casey Anthony and OJ Simpson are good examples of why we should have a 'Not Proven' verdict.
Not sure what "not proven" would mean compared to not guilty. However, if it means that the prosecution can bring the case back again before another jury, I don't think that is a very good idea.

Having a situation where prosecutors can just keep bringing the case until a jury decides for them is not a good idea. It costs a lot for both prosecution and defence and can lead to lots of false accusations. The pressure is put on the prosecution to bring a matter to trial when they really should not.

Prosecutors have complete control as to when they decide to bring a case. If they don't think the evidence is sufficient to convict, they need to keep looking until they find more. If the prosecution is convinced it has all the evidence necessary to convict but the jury disagrees, then the person has been tried and deserves to be found not guilty.

If there are other pressures which cause prosecutors bring matters to trial too early, then those should perhaps be looked at.

So Well

Post by So Well » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:50 am

Fortunately in the U.S., "The Constitution protects the criminal acts of a few, so that the freedom of all of us is preserved." (unattributed)
"Better that twenty guilty persons should escape the punishment of death, than that one innocent person should be condemned and suffer capitally." - Sir John Fortescue, c. 1470.
I have been amazed to see that the liberal media, who have steadfastly maintained opposition to the death penalty, have expressed outrage and even grief that it was not applied in this case. Such hypocrites they are as we already know.

I was not so surprised to here from others that Fox News objected strongly to the verdict. I quit watching Fox long ago when it became obvious that they do not truly support our Constitution.

To the Tea Party, I will bond with you on fiscal matters and matters of smaller government. But I will often oppose you on matters of the Constitution and individual freedom.
So Well
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and the government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

kempo

Post by kempo » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:26 am

brothermike wrote:I watched most of the trial on tv, and several comment based opinion programs and had formed an opinion of guilt. In his post trial statement, Defense Atty: Jose Baez sounded stunned and almost apologetic that the obviously guilty of something relating directly to the demise of her daughter, Casey, walked off not guilty. Watch a replay of that statement if you can and see if you don't see what I saw.
I don't think anyone believes she is not guilty in some way of her childs death, but the prosecutor did not prove she committed the act of first degree murder. Thank God we live in a country where the state has to prove you committed what you are being charged with.

The prosecutor blew this one.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:50 am

kempo wrote:The prosecutor blew this one.
I disagree. I think the prosecution made a good case and presented all the evidence they had; it just wasn't enough to convince the jury that she was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Too many unanswered questions.

As far as I can tell, nobody's happy about the verdict (except Ms. Anthony and her attorneys), but the jury can only go on what they're given. It's not the prosecution's fault that there was no physical evidence tying Casey to the murder. All the circumstantial evidence in the world doesn't prove anything, no matter what your gut tells you; proof is what our justice system is based upon. The prosecution can only use everything they've got to convict, which I believe they did.
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:57 pm

I heard one of the commentators say that if the prosecution had charged her with obstruction of justice instead of just lying to police and the jury found her guilty of that, she might have been given a pretty hefty sentence of 10-15yrs. I do think they overcharged it as a death penalty case and the defense did a good job of muddying the waters. Also the jury didn't have the benefit of all the evidence the outside world was privy to. I'm also wondering if George had not lied and just admitted to the affair during his time of great distress, which most people could understand, would it have made a difference? Many unanswered questions.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

SRSDDS

Post by SRSDDS » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:39 pm

Casey will get her due, it's just a matter of time.

In the meantime, we can do something useful in memory of the real plaintiff in this case, Caylee. Go sign a petition that has in excess of 750,000 signatures already to encourage our federal and state governments to enact "Caylee's Law", which will make it a crime to not report that a child is missing.

http://www.change.org/petitions/create-caylees-law

Stephen

Vader

Post by Vader » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:49 pm

So Well wrote: I have been amazed to see that the liberal media, who have steadfastly maintained opposition to the death penalty, have expressed outrage and even grief that it was not applied in this case. Such hypocrites they are as we already know.

I was not so surprised to here from others that Fox News objected strongly to the verdict. I quit watching Fox long ago when it became obvious that they do not truly support our Constitution.

To the Tea Party, I will bond with you on fiscal matters and matters of smaller government. But I will often oppose you on matters of the Constitution and individual freedom.

Nothing surprises me in the least, in regard to the State Run Media (NBC, MSNBC,CNN,ABC,CBS, PBS)
Hypocrites they are, indeed!
To quote one of my very favorite Conservative's, Thomas Sowell, "One of the common failings among honorable people is a failure to appreciate how thoroughly dishonorable some other people can be, and how dangerous it is to trust them."

I agree that Fox sure isn't perfect ( I don't care for Beck or O'Reilly) but what else is there if you're a Conservative, and you pay attention?

Vader

Vader

Post by Vader » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:19 pm

gvz wrote:What's the old phrase.... "Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel."

Or something.
nah, THIS...is patriotism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Wt4XlXUrc

Vader