Has anyone else experienced this? (from using FFM)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ycartf

Has anyone else experienced this? (from using FFM)

Post by ycartf » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:27 pm

I noticed a few months back that I had a thickened area of tissue inside my lower lip, halfway between the lip and the gum attachment. It was dense and did not have as much feeling as the surrounding tissue. I noticed it one day when I had to shave with a blade after misplacing my electric razor, while drawing my lip tightly over my teeth to shave below it. I asked the dentist about it at my next checkup. They said it was probably just scarred salivary glands but, after feeling how thick and hard it was, they scheduled me to see a local oral surgeon. The oral surgeon said the same thing the dentist did, but scheduled a surgery to remove it and have it tested also. I got the results of the tests and they basically said it was scarred tissue (including salivary glands) that they usually see occur around a foreign body (think of a piece of glass trapped in your finger or something) but I have not sustained any trauma to that area. The oral surgeon said that I "even had the pathologist thrown." I am thankful that it was not anything cancerous (and no, I don't chew tobacco lol), but the remaining scarring from the surgery is just as thick as it originally was (although the oral surgeon said the scarring would soften up eventually). He said they speculated that it could be caused by my FFM being seated about there at the bottom, and recommended that I try to find a mask with a "softer seal" or use a nasal mask. I use the Mirage Quattro and told him that I actually wear it a bit loose to where the inflated skirt of it makes the seal (I made sure he understood that it is nothing like wearing a tight SCUBA mask or something .... that there is very little contact pressure). I also told him that the nasal mask was not a possibility (unable to exhale comfortably through my nose) and that if I had to choose, I would breathe well every night and just deal with an uncomfortable lump under my lip.

So ..... has anyone else experienced anything similar to this from using a FFM?

"You will be secure, because there is hope; you will look about you and take your rest in safety. You will lie down, with no one to make you afraid, and many will court your favor." Job 11:18, 19
http://www.tracystruesoaps.com (Handmade Soaps)

Guso

Re: Has anyone else experienced this? (from using FFM)

Post by Guso » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:54 am

When I asked the insurance company for a full face mask, the gave me one which was too small. It put pressure in my lower teeth.
If I moved the mask towards my chin, then the upper part of the mask would close my nostrils. I asked for a bigger mask and they kept bringing me the same size until the woman said to me there was only one size. (Apparently she tried to convince me that the "M" size was the only size that existed).
I ended buying my own machine and mask (size L) to get rid of these people.

Weirdly the first mask the gave me (a nasal mask) was a "S" size.
Perhaps you have a small mask?

EDIT: By the way my mask is a quattro, and its going fine. (with an antileak strap of course).

ycartf

Re: Has anyone else experienced this? (from using FFM)

Post by ycartf » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:49 am

My mask is not too small .... according to the fitment chart .... and the way it fits and feels on my face. I love my Quattro.

"You will be secure, because there is hope; you will look about you and take your rest in safety. You will lie down, with no one to make you afraid, and many will court your favor." Job 11:18, 19
http://www.tracystruesoaps.com (Handmade Soaps)