Mouth fills with air ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mrnetwurm

Mouth fills with air ?

Post by mrnetwurm » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:11 am

Hello, I have just started using CPAP. I've been using it for a week now. I did some searching on the forum, but have'nt come across my specific problem. My mouth slowly fills with air (over a period of a few minutes) and my cheeks bulg out like a balloon. Eventually my lips can't contain the pressure and my mouth goes "pop" and whole process starts over again. This seems to happen only after being asleep for a few hours (it does wake me up). When I am lying in a very light sleep I am aware of this happening, which is why I can describe it. If I am fully awake I have more control and do not experience this problem. A chin strap does not seem to help as my jaws do not open.

Any thoughts ? Is this just something that will improve as I get more accustomed to CPAP. (my pressure is 12 and I use C-flex 1)

cflame1

Re: Mouth fills with air ?

Post by cflame1 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:14 am

here's some reading for you on the subject:

search.php?keywords=chipmunk

mrnetwurm

Post by mrnetwurm » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:21 am

Good link. Thank you. I would have never thought to seach for "chipmunk"

imsleepynomore

Post by imsleepynomore » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:23 am

I tape my lips and my mouth fills with air when I relax as I fall to sleep the only way I can stop this is with a chin strap, this helps keep my tongue up in place stopping this airflow. I don't need a tight chin strap just enough to remind subconscious