Is Apnea forever?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jess

Is Apnea forever?

Post by jess » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:11 pm

Can apnea be cured without surgery? Does weight loss cure it or does it just help it? Also, I had bad colic as a baby. Is there a connection between colic and apnea later in life?

archangle

Re: Is Apnea forever?

Post by archangle » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:39 pm

Usually apnea is forever. Sorry.

Even if you get surgery, a large percentage of the surgery victims still have apnea. Then they also have the problems that the surgery causes in addition to apnea. Or they get better, but the apnea comes back later.

Losing a lot of weight is good if you need it. Most people still have apnea after weight loss.

There are also a lot of quack cures that don't actually help. And a number of things that do cure a small number of people but don't help the vast majority.

Of course, I could say my apnea is cured. It comes back if I don't put on my CPAP machine before I go to sleep.

Maybe someone will come up with a better treatment or cure in the future.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

jess

Post by jess » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:00 pm

So does that mean we've probably had the apnea most of our lives? I guess if this is forever, I'd better look at different head gear. Mine seems to work well, but I can't move around a lot because I think is will move out of my nose. This program is a bit confining! I feel happy that I was diagnosed and treated because of the medical benefits, but also I'm a little depressed because of the confinement.

Roger2

Post by Roger2 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:04 am

jess wrote: I feel happy that I was diagnosed and treated because of the medical benefits, but also I'm a little depressed because of the confinement.
Hang in there kido, it’s better than risking declining health. If you do not already have some kind of support help like friends or family you might want to think about setting something of that nature up, especially if your depression continues. Delayed support like from the internet usually does not bode well.

Roger

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:24 am

Hi - there are many types of masks and if one of them, such as yours, is not comfortable or workable for you, then you should try others (look at Cpap.com for more). Also, there are bed pillows that are made specifically for wearing masks that let you feel less confined and don't disturb the mask while you're asleep... look at Cpappillow.com for more on them.

Otter

Post by Otter » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:39 am

jess wrote:So does that mean we've probably had the apnea most of our lives?
I think I've probably had at least UARS since my mid-teens. I remember my cabin-mates at camp complaining about my snoring when I was about 12, and I wasn't overweight back then. So yeah, for some of us, it's a lifelong thing. For others, though, the weight gain probably came first, and if those folks get their metabolism straightened out and loose the weight, their OSA will go away. I honestly have no idea what the percentages are there, but I suspect that the group for whom SDB came first is much larger than the medical community in general currently realizes.
I guess if this is forever, I'd better look at different head gear. Mine seems to work well, but I can't move around a lot because I think is will move out of my nose. This program is a bit confining! I feel happy that I was diagnosed and treated because of the medical benefits, but also I'm a little depressed because of the confinement.
I"m not a very active sleeper, but FWIW, my QFX moves with me quite well. The hose will pull off of the mask if I get it caught under my arm or a pillow, but all I have to do snap the elbow back into the swivel. The mask stays on and doesn't need to be readjusted. Some of the the nasal masks will probably stick with you even better, as they're smaller and less likely to be disturbed by your pillow.

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:47 am

jess wrote:So does that mean we've probably had the apnea most of our lives?
I think it tends to develop with age, but some people do have it while young.

If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

mayondair

Post by mayondair » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:05 am

Hi Jess, you need to be comfy, a hose hangar helps if you move around a lot, I use the Hozer, it's springy like a fishing rod, but there are a lot of ideas out there, check the WIKI. Stable headgear without the hose dragging on it should help you feel less confined. Sleeping with all the stuff can be a bit daunting, think of it like wearing a pair of glasses, no big deal, an improvement to your health, it's only air, and only while you sleep. And it's a lot better than the alternative. Kathy
Any landing you walk away from is a good one; if you don't break your airplane it's excellent.

georgepds

Post by georgepds » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:58 am

Here is one guy who "cured' it

http://www.mendosa.com/blog/?tag=sleep-apnea

"You can conquer sleep apnea. I know you can because I conquered a most severe form of it. And I’ve now even given away both of my continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machines, which is the standard treatment for overweight people who have sleep apnea...."

georgepds

Post by georgepds » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:03 pm

Here is another post that describes loosing weight to ameliorate sleep apnea

http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/conten ... 69/17/1619

"Conclusions Physicians and their patients can expect that weight loss will result in significant and clinically relevant improvements in OSA among obese patients with type 2 diabetes."

"The Archives of Internal Medicine, a journal of the American Medical Association, just published the study results in its September 28 issue. Gary Foster, Ph.D., of Temple University's Center for Obesity Research and Education, and 11 co-authors for the Sleep AHEAD Research Group, wrote "A Randomized Study on the Effect of Weight Loss on Obstructive Sleep Apnea Among Obese Patients With Type 2 Diabetes."

Only the abstract is free online. But an account executive from Schwartz Communications, a public relations agency specializing in technology and health-care, thoughtfully sent me the full text of the study.

The average weight of the people in the study was 224 pounds. At the beginning of the study they had an average of 23 apneic episodes per hour, which by definition is severe sleep apnea.

After one year and a weight loss averaging 24 pounds, the people in the weight loss arm of the program averaged 13 apneic episodes per hour. That brought them into the moderate sleep apnea range."

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:50 pm

I have probably had it since I was pregnant with my youngest - who is going to be 23 in a few months. I was about 105 lbs after she was born .....

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

ems

Post by ems » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:11 pm

jess wrote: I feel happy that I was diagnosed and treated because of the medical benefits, but also I'm a little depressed because of the confinement.
I understand... and feel the same way. Some people say that after a while it becomes a habit - like brushing your teeth - I sure hope so.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

Vader

Post by Vader » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:16 pm

jess wrote:Can apnea be cured without surgery? Does weight loss cure it or does it just help it? Also, I had bad colic as a baby. Is there a connection between colic and apnea later in life?
Unfortunately, apnea can't really be "cured" at this time. It's a rare case if surgery eliminated apnea. But your symptoms can mostly (if not totally) disappear with consistent cpap therapy. Almost no one can realistically expect it to go away with weight loss, although it may very well help with the severity of symptoms. I was extremely underweight when I realized I had apnea.

I have never heard of any connection between colic and apnea. Perhaps an internet search, or a talk with your doctor could answer that question.

But is it forever? No, it's only while we're in these human bodies....

Last edited by Vader on Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vader

robysue

Post by robysue » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:13 pm

georgepds wrote: The average weight of the people in the study was 224 pounds. At the beginning of the study they had an average of 23 apneic episodes per hour, which by definition is severe sleep apnea.
An AHI = 23 lands you in the middle of the middle of MODERATE OSA.

After one year and a weight loss averaging 24 pounds, the people in the weight loss arm of the program averaged 13 apneic episodes per hour. That brought them into the moderate sleep apnea range."[/quote]An AHI = 13 is right near the boarder between MILD & MODERATE OSA.

So the net result for the the average person in this study: Losing weight cut their AHI by about 43%, but still left folks needing xPAP.

Standard ranges for OSA diagnosis in the US and usual recommended treatments:
  • 0 <= AHI < 5 equals NO OSA

5 <= AHI < 15 equals MILD OSA---treatment is warranted particularly if there are existing co-morbidities and/or daytime symptoms. CPAP is gold standard, but oral appliances stand a good chance of bringing the AHI down below 5 and may be better tolerated.

15 <= AHI < 30 equals MODERATE OSA---treatment is warranted regardless of whether there are daytime symptoms and/or co-morbidities. CPAP is gold standard, patient should be encouraged to make CPAP work since an oral appliance may not bring the AHI down to below 5. But if patient is intolerant of CPAP, an oral appliance is worth exploring because it may work well or at least sufficiently well.

30 < AHI equals SEVERE OSA----treatment is critical. CPAP is gold standard. Oral appliances are not likely to bring the AHI down enough to be clinically effective in treating either the daytime symptoms or the physiological problems associated with OSA---particularly the O2 desats.

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:25 pm

After a few years, the old facehugger will be like Linus and his security blanket. You'll snuggle up with it every night.

If I miraculously was cured of apnea by some sort of "throat stent" procedure, I probably would have to wean myself off of CPAP psychologically. I'd probably have to wear my mask not hooked up to the CPAP machine in order to get to sleep for a while.

Heck, I'm probably safe driving while I'm tired now, because I simply can't nap without it.

Here's the problem with weight loss for treating apnea.

"Joe, you weigh 220 lbs. You need to lose that weight to cure your apnea. Try this diet."
"Yes, Doctor."

Next year.

"Joe, you weigh 215 lbs. You need to lose that weigh to cure your apnea...."

Keep repeating.

Yes, lose the weight if you need to. Don't count on it to cure apnea. Don't put off CPAP thinking you'll lose the weight or thinking it will cure the apnea. It might not.

Useful Links.