Do any of you sleep all the way through the night?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sl33py

Do any of you sleep all the way through the night?

Post by sl33py » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:42 pm

This is only my 2nd night with the CPAP, so I know it's a little premature to make judgement or projections, but I am curious about the more experienced user's experiences. Before the CPAP machine, I don't remember waking up during the night. Now, I wake up in the middle of the night and I'm wide awake. I am making progress, I didn't pull the mask off, but it started leaking air and took me a while to be able to adjust it back so that I could rest. I'm just curious if after you get used to it, you sleep through the night or if you still wake up, but just feel more rested because you experience a deeper, better sleep.

LaurieP

Re: Do any of you sleep all the way through the night?

Post by LaurieP » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:56 pm

I have been on CPAP since May. Before treatment I thought it was normal to sleep for 4 hrs, be up for an hour or so reading or doing stuff around the house than sleep a few more hours before getting ready for work. I have done this since I was in High School...so a long time. I now sleep all night, 8 to 8-1/2 hrs. I very rarely wake up for a bathroom break or a mask leak. I can really tell a difference. This is the best thing I ever did for myself!!!!

Vader

Post by Vader » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:01 pm

I've been sleeping all through the night since first starting cpap.
I think your results will improve though with continued use.

Vader

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:09 pm

I did the last 2 nights and it was great. I don't remember waking up and when I got up to go to the bathroom I realized I didn't need to go back to bed. 7.5 hours last night. That used to be my norm... back in the day.
"I'm not well but I'm better!"

jabman

Post by jabman » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:20 pm

I sleep through the night and have since day one on cpap. of course I thought I was sleeping through the night before cpap.

Psalm 150: 6
Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD.

"If God does not exist, one will lose nothing by believing in him, while if he does exist, one will lose everything by not believing. " - Blaise Pascal.

sl33py

Post by sl33py » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:25 pm

This is very encouraging!!! Thanks and I'm glad you all are sleeping well. I hope to join you soon!

BrandonB

Post by BrandonB » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:08 pm

Sl33py, I'm in the same boat as you. 2 nights of CPAP and I can recall at least 3-4 awakenings each night. But this was "normal" for me before getting the CPAP, so I'll be right there with you hoping to be normal soon.
Life before my CPAP was really no life at all!

sl33py

Post by sl33py » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:15 pm

Good luck to you, BrandonB!

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:16 pm

sl33per

I sleep all night long no wake ups since the beginning (it will be 2 years in December), at least a hot flash wakes me up.

Try to stop leaks, put some Lansinoh around your nostrils before setting your mask on. Lansinoh will stop leaks because it's kind of gluish. You buy it at the pharmacy in the area of baby's stuff. I use Lansinoh EVERY night I use the nasal pillows, it's a wonder.

All the best and don't give up you will have it soon.

Rosie

Last edited by rosacer on Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:37 pm

I sleep through the night, almost every night, since my first night on cpap. Whether it's a 6 hr night or a 9 hr night, I'm asleep for the duration.

Before cpap I suffered from nocturia and was up to urinate 3-4 times in 6 hrs -- terrible sleep. Cpap went undiagnosed, I saw a urologist, started medication to shrink my prostate (which the dr said felt "normal" but the medication could help, so let's try it).

I discontinued meds before starting cpap and never needed them again. It was the apnea that had caused my nocturia.

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

sickwithapnea17

Post by sickwithapnea17 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:41 pm

since starting on bipap st I don't sleep through the night at all, maybe only 1 night in 3 weeks
I wonder what everyone's pressure is? I have mine on 14/10 and I don't know if it is correct
18/14 bipap st

Katagal

Post by Katagal » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:12 am

Yes I do and it is truly a proper deep sleep, before I was diagnosed with OSA, I believed myself to be a perfectly good sleeper although a very restless sleeper given the state of my pillows and bedding in the morning - I thrashed around a lot - since having "Darth" my CPAP machine I now know the difference, my bed linen stays pretty much the same as when I went to sleep and I am feeling absolutely amazing in comparison to how I was feeling before. Stick with it, I had a few hiccups and bumps along the way but persistence is the key and you will truly reap the benefits after a month or so of continuous use.

Best of luck and keep asking questions and seeking assistance, the crew on this site are so helpful and willing to assist

Cheers Kataga
Brisbane Queensland, Australia

zorrro13

Post by zorrro13 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:58 am

after nearly 8 years I get a solid 6 hours. I believe if cpap is working right that we get better sleep than those with out it (many have mild apnea and unaware) especially if your events are 0.1

Gaga58

Post by Gaga58 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:18 am

Sl33per...I've only been at this since first of Sept. and the first couple of nights I woke up because I had taken my mask off. I wasn't getting many hours at that time because of having to get up with my Mother, but the first time she slept through the night..so did I and it was wonderful!! It was only 6 hrs and I would of loved to have had 12, but it does get better! Good luck to you!

bayourest

Post by bayourest » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:18 am

I have been on xpap for 11 months now. I used to wake up frequently and it would not be uncommon to make 2 or 3 trips to the bathroom. Now sometimes I get up once and sometimes not at all. I agree with those who say that my worst night with xpap is much better than my best night without it. stick with it and stick with this forum and you are going to make a lot of progress and figure it out