Lost power last night.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ozze_dollar

Lost power last night.

Post by ozze_dollar » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:26 pm

I woke about 4 am and I thought my machine was a bit quiet so I sucked some air and still nothing happened. I guess I was only half awake. Finally I pulled the hose off the mask and ...no noise..the things not working. I went to turn on the side lamp and nothing. We have no power. I have no idea how long I sucked air on my own but perhaps not too long as I could hear some alarms going off in the distance indicating it had only just happened. Well I took off the mask and tried to go back to sleep and I just couldnt..I am now so used to the mask I cant sleep without it.

So the machine has no backup battery ,not even a small one for an alarm.Now I know I wont have a real problem if the machine stops working for any reason.Anyway after a couple of hours the power came back on and I was able to re fit the mask and go back to sleep.

moresleep

Re: Lost power last night.

Post by moresleep » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:40 pm

I tend to agree that if the Cpap goes off, a reasonably-normal person will wake up before dying of CO2 buildup. But, to add some extra insurance, you can buy a battery-operated alarm ($20 or so) that plugs into a wall socket; when the power goes off, the alarm goes on and wakes you up. Also, remember that you wake up much easier from some points in the sleep stage cycle than others.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:30 am

moresleep wrote:I tend to agree that if the Cpap goes off, a reasonably-normal person will wake up before dying of CO2 buildup. But, to add some extra insurance, you can buy a battery-operated alarm ($20 or so) that plugs into a wall socket; when the power goes off, the alarm goes on and wakes you up. Also, remember that you wake up much easier from some points in the sleep stage cycle than others.
You really won't die of CO2 buildup...If you are using a nasal mask, you will open your mouth. If it is a FF mask, there is an antiasphyxia (sp?) valve.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:52 am

I had the power fail the very first night I taped. I use nasal pillow mask. There is some air movement and when I woke up to realize what had happened I really wasn't in any distress. It was more like "why is it so quiet" thing. Don't know how long I had been breathing with no power. Probably not long. Though I did experiment one time to see how long I could breathe through my nose with mask on and machine off with mouth shut. Got bored after 10 minutes and quit. No distress. While not particularly easy, it was far from impossible to do. For those concerned or who live in area of frequent power failures, a power alarm would offer peach of mind if that is needed with or without taping or with or without full face mask.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:00 am

Got my machine April 13/2010, power went out at 11pm April 14 and stayed out for 14 hours, next day same thing but it was out for 10 hours. Next day I drove to the city and bought a battery and inverter..........power has not gone out since
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

jonnybee

Post by jonnybee » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:14 pm

moresleep wrote:I tend to agree that if the Cpap goes off, a reasonably-normal person will wake up before dying of CO2 buildup. But, to add some extra insurance, you can buy a battery-operated alarm ($20 or so) that plugs into a wall socket; when the power goes off, the alarm goes on and wakes you up. Also, remember that you wake up much easier from some points in the sleep stage cycle than others.
I just ordered an alarm from Amazon.com. The most frequent complaint from purchasers is that the alarm is not very loud on this unit. I plan to use an extension cord and mount it on my headboard so that shouldn't be a problem for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Controls ... B000IF8QDK
ResMed S9 Autoset
ResMed AirFit F20 mask with headgear

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:45 pm

I've had power go off a few times in the night. Our security system chirps when that happens, so it usually wakes me up. Most of our outages are 30 secs or less, so I usually just breathe thru the dead machine until the power comes back and the machine auto-starts. No biggie.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:05 pm

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/relian ... light.html.

This has worked great for me several times, the beeping is certainly loud enough to wake me up when the power goes off and it has a handy little flashlight too.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08