Alright looking for ideas for summer backpacking trip

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LonghornGary

Alright looking for ideas for summer backpacking trip

Post by LonghornGary » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:24 am

Alright, here's the scenario. I've been using cpap for a little over a month with great success. I guess I was one of the lucky ones as I've not had any real difficulties. I average seven therapy hours a night, 0% large leaks, my AHI is 2.8 down from 20 before therapy, and I feel much better. My son and myself are very active in the boy scouts. We have an opportunity to go on a week long backpacking trip into the back country of Montana. I've seen the battery packs listed but looks like I could only squeeze maybe two nights out of the charge. I will have no opportunity to recharge a battery.

So my question is obviously I'm much better on therapy, but am I now at a greater risk having a severe reaction going off cpap for five days than I was prior to starting therapy. I'm in the process of hopefully losing 45 pounds prior to the trip. Two weeks into my fitness program and down about 10 pounds, hoping to reach my goal over the next six months. Anyone have outside the box suggestions. Thanks

Roger2

Re: Alright looking for ideas for summer backpacking trip

Post by Roger2 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:14 am

Having been very active in mountaineering some years ago (1060’s through early 1970’s) I can emphasize with your predicament. It was bad enough when I had to use external O2 24/7 but this year after going on cpap it further complicated matters since my oxygen concentrator draws 15 amps and now the cpap needs power also. I was able to accomplish most rood camping situations with electrical plug-in’s at the campground. In the National Parks and National Forests there is usually an electrical outlet that would work in most campgrounds. That requires a note from your sleep or pulmonary physician but under the Americans with Disabilities Act they have to provide the electrical service if there is one available. Most of those outlets are for Forestry or Park Service use to maintain the camps but they have been most accommodating if you jump through the hoops.

For backpacking the only thing I can think of is to purchase a donkey or other suitable pack animal to carry your equipment in and out. I have been on several such pack trips with some cousins here in Colorado (that was way before the need for external O2 and the cpap) since they already had that kind of equipment and livestock but that was thirty some years ago and most of them are dead now.

You just might need to come to the realization that you can no longer engage in this kind of activity but if you are bent on doing it anyway, at lease talk it over with your sleep or lung doctor. Probably you need to find out from them what the bad effects would be in not using your medical equipment for five or six days.

These days my wife and I use a 20 foot travel trailer and we are looking to make our generator run for 8 or 10 hours before needing refueling. That will probably be challenging.

Roger

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:14 pm

I wouldn't give up that many nights of therapy just because of the latent damage it may cause. But in addition, you should consider that you will do strenuous hiking during the day, and be getting poor sleep at night. I'd be a zombie. Is it worth all that?

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

mars

Post by mars » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:51 pm

LonghornGary wrote:. Anyone have outside the box suggestions. Thanks

Hi Gary

1. Get yourself an oximeter to prevent desaturations.

2. Before you go, experiment to find out which sleeping position produces the least apneas. For most, but not all, sleeping on your side is best (and maybe your backpack will help you do this).

3. Check out a soft cervical collar to see if it helps to keep your throat open.

then see how you are the following morning.

If you find this workable you will not need to take the machine.

The above is guaranteed to be a genuine "outside the box" suggestion. Just be aware that there are some who are still stuck inside the box, and live in darkness .

Backpacking and sleeping out was the reason I started exploring "outside the box", in the first place.

However, if you find this is not for you, then be sure to get a friendly co-operative donkey

cheers

Mars
for an an easier, cheaper and travel-easy sleep apnea treatment :D

http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t7020 ... rapy-.html

LonghornGary

Post by LonghornGary » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:03 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, that's what I'm looking for. As far as why would I undertake such a trip, well you only have so many moments with your children. I'm only 44 and am not ready to stop living my life. I definately see the benefits of cpap but it won't be the end all be all of my life. I lived several years without it, i'll manage five nights without my cpap. It will be waiting for me at the lodge the first night off the trail.

jamiswolf

Post by jamiswolf » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:25 pm

Hey Gary,
This is for future reference. The Mallard-Larkins Pioneer area in Idaho is the most spectacular area in the US...that I've ever been to. Not that far from Montana and it will leave you with memories to last a lifetime. I hiked a week in and a week out carrying a 65 pound pack...but I was much younger then.

Have a great time, I'm frankly envious since those days are far behind me...
Jamis

moresleep

Post by moresleep » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:37 pm

Have I got some ideas for you! First, though, I would not so blithely decide to do without the Cpap. While I don't think you are any more susceptible to sleep apnea and its effects now than you were before starting Cpap, it just isn't a good idea to put your body through that kind of stress. Also, your fellow campers might not appreciate being kept awake by your snoring and snorting...

My only-slightly-out-of-the-box ideas:

(1) See if an oral appliance will work for you. They work to some extent for many OSA sufferers. There are two main types: those that pull your lower jaw forward; and those that keep your tongue from falling back. Even the cheap "boil and bite" ones available online (sold both to help with bruxism and snoring) might offer some relief if you molded it to keep your bottom teeth slightly extended, bulldog-style. Otherwise, there are dentists who specialize in such devices, which can get quite pricey.

(2) Buy multiple small battery packs and distribute them among those hiking scouts to carry. For example, for $70 you can buy a 12-volt 9 AH battery pack, complete with carrying case, weighing only 6.6 lbs. See http://www.powerstream.com/LLLF-12v.htm. Get 7 of those and you’re good for a week. Make those tykes earn their merit badges!
(3) If you are going to hike to a central site where you will stay and camp, consider a foldable solar panel to recharge a battery pack during the day.

(4) If you can afford it, buy one or more lithium ion battery packs. They are a lot lighter than the lead acid equivalent. For example, for $1109 (plus $210 for the charger) you can buy a 12 volt 55 AH battery pack that weighs 19 lbs. See http://www.powerstream.com/LLLF-12v.htm. Your Cpap without the humidifier (leave that at home) probably takes 10-20 watts (you should check). You can't discharge the battery pack to zero; but, assuming your Cpap draws around 10 watts, that battery pack should give you 40 hours or so of sleep time.

(5) To save money while still saving weight, consider making up some non-rechargeable 12-volt lithium battery packs. Non-rechargeable lithium batteries can be had in “D” and other “large” sizes, often in 3.6v, etc. You can put them together to make up a 12-volt battery. But, if you go this route, talk to a battery expert, as different types of these lithium batteries have different foibles. For example, some have limitations on the discharge rate.

(6) Buy a bunch of non-rechargeable 6-volt lantern batteries, preferably alkaline. Two wired in series will give you the 12-volts needed by your Cpap. For example, the Duracell MN908 Alkaline battery is rated at 6v 12Ah, weighs 1.3lbs, and costs around $10. Two wired in series weigh only 2.6 lbs and will probably give you more than a night’s sleep.

Even after calculating the power used by your Cpap, I would test out whatever battery pack you use before the trip, to make sure you get the times needed.