"(CPAPTALK) would be the last place on earth . . ."

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rocklin

Post by rocklin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:28 pm

http://www.binarysleep.com/phpbb2/viewt ... &&start=45
tiredjohnny1 wrote: If I wanted the patient to get answers this website (CPAPTALK) would be the last place on earth I would refer them.

That site is anti-tech, anti-doctor, anti-dme.

Shhhh, Shhhh!

(just a whisper)

OK, OK, after a night of Ambien and hard drinking I found myself posting at BinarySleep, a website mainly for those working in the field of sleep medicine.

Now I'm deep in hostile territory, and pinned down in this thread:

(Shhhh! EMS, please stop playing with the paddle!)

___________________________________________________________________________________

The thread begins here, and you can see how I got caught up:

http://www.binarysleep.com/phpbb2/viewt ... c&&start=0

Now, I've got two bogies on my tail, and I need some answers asap.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by rocklin on Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
It is easy to be brave from a safe distance - Aesop

rocklin

Post by rocklin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:02 pm

tiredjohnny1 wrote: If I wanted the patient to get answers this website (CPAPTALK) would be the last place on earth I would refer them.

That site is anti-tech, anti-doctor, anti-dme.

The prevailing attitude is that nobody cares about patients, patients should adjust their own pressure at any time, and if anyone says differently about the ideas of the main moderators, then its 'pseudoscience' because only they know what works for patients and no one else.
rocklin@nyc wrote:Imho, not a single sentence of the above is accurate.

It seems to me to be an orgy of assumptions, none of them correct, at least from my perspective.

tiredjohnny1 wrote:I found out personally that the general atmosphere on that site (CPAPTALK) is basically distrust of sleep techs, sleep doctors, dme providers, and a belief that everyone should self-titrate and avoid supine sleep at all costs.

But if you want proof for yourself, all you have to do is go to that website and write: "Take this from a registered sleep tech: you should not be adjusting your CPAP machine yourself" and watch the magic happen.

You will be overwhelmed by the truthfulness of my 'assumptions.'
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Come on Mandrake, the redcoats are coming!

Muse-Inc

Re: "(CPAPTALK) would be the last place on earth . . ."

Post by Muse-Inc » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:23 pm

Ahhh, teasing the techs again I see Shame they have such a singular shared mindset against careful, thoughtful, slow changes to optimizing one's CPAP therapy.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

rocklin

Post by rocklin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:50 pm

Right off the bat, no one can say: "CPAPtalk says this, or CPAPtalk says that . . ."

Since when have we all agreed on anything?

This HAS to be one disgruntled former member.
Last edited by rocklin on Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rocklin

Post by rocklin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:03 pm

-urbandictionary.com wrote:Stir the pot
Only after I smoke it, SWS.

rocklin

Post by rocklin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:10 pm

Wasn't looking for a fight, just for others to have a fun sneak peak.

No matter, someone here must've dropped them a PM, I can't even login.

Et tu, SWS?

cowlypso

Post by cowlypso » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:15 pm

I found out personally that the general atmosphere on that site (CPAPTALK) is basically distrust of sleep techs, sleep doctors, dme providers, and a belief that everyone should self-titrate and avoid supine sleep at all costs.

But if you want proof for yourself, all you have to do is go to that website and write: "Take this from a registered sleep tech: you should not be adjusting your CPAP machine yourself" and watch the magic happen.
1. In general, I think that most of us have very little against sleep techs. Unless they are grossly incompetent, I'm sure that the biggest frustration any of us has with the techs is directly related to the original discussion topic - that we, as patients, would love to have results sooner than 2-4 weeks later, even if they are preliminary. And that frustration is one that the sleep techs seem to share.

2. I don't think that any of us have a distrust of good sleep doctors. The problem occurs when we run across bad sleep doctors. But again, if a doctor is accessible (a 6-month wait to see the doctor doesn't count), attentive (actually takes the time to read the patient's chart before an appointment, and takes the time to answer questions during the appointment), and knowledgable (doesn't, for example, mistake birth control pills for antidepressants in a patient's history and then try to write off symptoms of OSA as depression), then patients probably wouldn't have any distrust of them.

3. Distrust of DME providers? That one's 100% true, and with good reason. But how many sleep techs have actually had to deal with a DME as a patient and experienced the runaround?

4. Should everyone self-titrate? No. I don't think anybody here advocates that. Self-titration can be a viable option for people without insurance and access to updated sleep studies, those whose doctors refuse to listen to the patient's continued symptoms, etc. Basically, if money was not an issue and all sleep doctors were competent, self-titration would not be necessary.

5. Avoid supine sleep? I've not noticed that being pushed here at all. The only time I've ever seen it mentioned is in the case of recently diagnosed waiting on CPAP, or a CPAP user who for whatever reason can't use their machine (like a power failure). It's rarely mentioned as a primary treatment for OSA (unless backed by a sleep study in that individual).

6. I'd really love it if some sleep tech came here and posted exactly why we should not adjust our machines ourselves. Not just that we should take their word for it because they are sleep techs, but the actual reasons why. Why is it such a big deal that, when my doctor bumped my pressure from 8 to 10, that I eventually backed it down to 9.5 without consulting her? Is there something inherently dangerous about the pressure of 9.5 that wasn't present at 8 or 10?

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:55 pm

rocklin wrote:
-urbandictionary.com wrote:Stir the pot
deltadave wrote:
DoriC wrote:I don't know if I'm reading my own interpretation but I notice you've not commented on the antibiotic debate, so is that because you disagree and don't want to "stir the pot"? Or do you understand the reasoning behind the decision?
Stir the pot?

Moi?

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:11 pm

rocklin wrote:Wasn't looking for a fight, just for others to have a fun sneak peak.

No matter, someone here must've dropped them a PM, I can't even login.

Et tu, SWS?
Well, let's see... I occasionally affiliate with Little Caesar's Pizza---not Big Caesar's government. That's where lovely Marge will serve a fine, hot spread if you pay her bread. But if you forget to pay your pizza tab... well... Beware the Eyes of Marge.

rocklin

Post by rocklin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:21 pm

rocklin wrote: Et tu, SWS?
Or not. I've been reinstated. What a strange trip it's been. Where's Toto?

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:47 pm

DoriC wrote:Stir the pot?

Moi?
Dori, if YOU stir the pot there will be no one among us to impose time-outs or double-secret probation.

rocklin wrote: Or not. I've been reinstated. What a strange trip it's been. Where's Toto?
Well maybe it was Dickens instead of Shakespeare or Baum: "...an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of an underdone potato." In any event dear Marge and Toto have left for Africa.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:52 am

My opinion about whether cpap users should post (I would not) in a forum for sleep techs:
viewtopic.php?p=529674#p529674
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

rocklin

Post by rocklin » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:05 am

-SWS wrote:In any event dear Marge and Toto have left for Africa.
I fear you are an incorrigible romantic. .Africa haunts my dreams.

turbosnore

Post by turbosnore » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:44 am

I too looked at the thread, and to me it looks mostly like MD:s saying to techs something like:
"Shut up, techs. If you are telling what the results mean, the MDs look bad. What do people think the MDs are needed
for if any tech can do what the MDs are paid to do."