My experience with taping

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jmaulz

My experience with taping

Post by jmaulz » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:50 am

Sometime after falling asleep I often begin breathing through my mouth. I either use a Quatro FX ffm (still fighting with leaks) or the Swift LT nasal mask with the wide, white chin strap (the chin strap seems to adversely affect my somewhat thinning hair). So I tried taping my mouth closed (using the 2080 blue 3M tape suggested in the forum) for three nights, along with my Swift LT nasal mask and no chinstrap. The first two nights the tape developed leaks so I replaced it, after a while had leaks again, so I took the tape off and put my chin strap back on. The third night I tried more tape to cover a wider area along with the chinstrap, this worked well. However this defeats the purpose of dis-use of the chinstrap. Hope it works well for someone else! Next stop: hybrid mask.

moresleep

Re: My experience with taping

Post by moresleep » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:49 am

If the chin strap works to prevent mouth breathing, and the only complaint is what it does to your hair, I would wear the chip strap. You can probably find one that does not interfere as much with the hair. This will save you having to buy tape, and also the potential risks of taping.

As for tape, I use 3M 2" Micropore, also sold as Nexcare. It's a paper medical tape, found in the bandage section of pharmacies. I buy it online in boxes of 20.

Perrybucsdad

Post by Perrybucsdad » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:50 am

I'm really worried about trying the hybrid. I keep thinking that I should just go to the nasal, but then I go to the next question of which type (pillows or mask), and then I go to the next worry of will I be able to keep my mouth shut.

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:46 pm

Make sure to use 2 inch wide tape and 10-12 inch strips, tape across from ear to ear, this will help keep seal.

FWIW, I taped for about 3-4 months, then tried the papcap twice, without great success. Went back to taping for 1 month, then tried papcap again with effort to try to train myself to keep mouth closed. Finally worked, so now use papcap and leaks consistently 0-0.10 levels. Sometimes it just takes some experimenting and TIME.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:30 pm

I have pretty good luck with a cervical collar except when it gets hot.. When I tuck my chin in my airway closes, even if my mouth doesn't fall open, which it often does.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:37 pm

Those are the exact reason I now use the Respcare/Innomed Hybrid. Tried taping, hated it, and the marks the chin strp left of my face were horrible and lasted all day. I've been using the hybrid since March and I like it sooooo much better, if my nose is plugged I can still breath out of my mouth. The Hybrid gives you three choices of mouth cushion and pillows therefore, it will fit anyone.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

beckah

Post by beckah » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:55 pm

I too love the Hybrid Mask. It's very comfortable and I don't have to use tape or a chin strap.