Mouth breather's experience using a mouthpiece

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jonnybee

Mouth breather's experience using a mouthpiece

Post by jonnybee » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:46 am

FWIW - I have a severe mouth breathing problem. I struggled for over a year, trying every combination of machines, pressures, masks, chinstraps and tape in an effort to get my AHI to a reasonable level. I was so frustrated that I actually quit CPAP therapy for a two month period, but then realized that quitting was not the thing to do. Again, after trying various combinations of equipment/pressures, I was still running pressures in the 12-18cm range with AHI running 7-10 with many clusters. As a last resort, I tried a boil & bite mouthpiece that I had purchased prior to CPAP therapy. My AHI average now is <1.0 using a CPAP pressure of 6cm with little upper airway restriction. Needless to say, I am very pleased.

I use the mouthpiece in conjunction with a chin strap, and Swift FX mask. No more tape!!! I purchased the mouthpiece that I use from Amazon.com for about $20. It is molded to both the upper and lower teeth which holds the lower jaw a tad forward. I don't think a single (just upper or lower) would work. If you do a search for "snore mouthpiece" on Amazon.com, you'll find several devices available.

I pass this along just in case someone is plagued with mouth breathing and might find my experience helpful. If anyone has questions concerning my experience, PM me.
ResMed S9 Autoset
ResMed AirFit F20 mask with headgear

moresleep

Re: Mouth breather's experience using a mouthpiece

Post by moresleep » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:07 am

I have been using something like that to prevent bruxism, but, alas, it didn't stop mouth leaking--had hoped it would, but taping is still the only solution for me. Definitely worth trying, though.

osmium sleeper

Post by osmium sleeper » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:20 am

This is precisely what I need.

jonnybee

Post by jonnybee » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:58 am

moresleep wrote:I have been using something like that to prevent bruxism, but, alas, it didn't stop mouth leaking--had hoped it would, but taping is still the only solution for me. Definitely worth trying, though.
Most boil & bite mouthpieces have a open slot in front to allow breathing. When doing the molding process, I don't insert the wood strip (tongue depressor) into the slot to prevent it from closing when I bite down on the device. That way, when I bite down on the device to mold it around my teeth, the slot seals itself closed, thereby preventing air from escaping thru the slot. This way, I get a good seal and makes the tape unnecessary for me.
ResMed S9 Autoset

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:22 am

Congratulations johnnybee!

Glad you were able to finally find a work around to your issues from mouth breathing. You must have been so frustrated to give up your therapy for 2 months after doing it for a year. Moral of your story (and also a good mouthpiece tip included) is to keep on trying; never give up! This problem we all share is not just a temporary medical nuisance, but for almost all of us a lifelong, life saving medical therapy.

Thank you for posting this and continued success with your therapy!

John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:11 am

Thanks very much for the information John and congratulations.

Me too I started using a boil & bite mouthpiece a kind member of the forum bought for me in Walmart USA (Walmart Canada didn't carry it on summer time, now I need to check again). I helped me to stop mouth breathing, I was unable to continue taping because the tape started ripping out my skin .

I check at Amazon although I don't know if I will be allowed to buy it (some products are not shipped to Canada as usual), I saw there is a lot of different mouth pieces, could you please lest us know which one exactly you bought?

Thanks again.

Rosie

jonnybee

Post by jonnybee » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:30 pm

rosacer wrote: I check at Amazon although I don't know if I will be allowed to buy it (some products are not shipped to Canada as usual), I saw there is a lot of different mouth pieces, could you please lest us know which one exactly you bought?

Thanks again.

Rosie
This is the one I am presently using:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NX ... 00_details

It appears that this particular model must be out-of-stock at Amazon, but if you go to Amazon and search "snore mouthpiece" you will find several similar products that should work.
ResMed S9 Autoset

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:01 pm

Thanks for the info. We should always remember to try various things. It's not always obvious what will work for you. Sometimes, it's downright counterintuitive.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:42 pm

That answers a question for me actually. I saw a "mask" that was actually a mouthpiece that you hold in your mouth and then above the mouthpiece are the nasal pillows. I thought it looked great but was afraid I'd open my mouth and the whole thing would fall out. For me, with my claustophobia, if it worked it would be great though.
jonnybee wrote:FWIW - I have a severe mouth breathing problem. I struggled for over a year, trying every combination of machines, pressures, masks, chinstraps and tape in an effort to get my AHI to a reasonable level. I was so frustrated that I actually quit CPAP therapy for a two month period, but then realized that quitting was not the thing to do. Again, after trying various combinations of equipment/pressures, I was still running pressures in the 12-18cm range with AHI running 7-10 with many clusters. As a last resort, I tried a boil & bite mouthpiece that I had purchased prior to CPAP therapy. My AHI average now is <1.0 using a CPAP pressure of 6cm with little upper airway restriction. Needless to say, I am very pleased.

I use the mouthpiece in conjunction with a chin strap, and Swift FX mask. No more tape!!! I purchased the mouthpiece that I use from Amazon.com for about $20. It is molded to both the upper and lower teeth which holds the lower jaw a tad forward. I don't think a single (just upper or lower) would work. If you do a search for "snore mouthpiece" on Amazon.com, you'll find several devices available.

I pass this along just in case someone is plagued with mouth breathing and might find my experience helpful. If anyone has questions concerning my experience, PM me.

Tim1

Post by Tim1 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:08 am

I am a mouth breather. My nose doesn't work at all, once I'm prone in a bed.

I have a mask that covers my nose and mouth. I am still having heart palpitations, presumably because of a lack of oxygen during the night.

The palpitations only occur at night and in the morning as I am waking up.

Is it possible to get a CPAP mask which plugs ONLY into one's mouth?

Since getting the CPAP machine, seven months ago, no one has contacted me to tell me how well it is working. It sends reports to my doctor. He has not scheduled follow up visits. I got a mouthpiece as well, from a second doctor, but it only works if you can breathe through your nose. I told the second doctor I can't breathe through my nose at night; he made the mouthpiece for me anyway. It is pretty much useless.

I don't know what to do, and wouldn't care, except I am a single parent with small children at home, and I want to see them reach adulthood. I grew up without parents, and know what a terrible hardship it can be.

I am thinking I will attempt to use both the mouthpiece and the CPAP, and hope the air pressure will force the air through my nose.

I have severe sleep apnea and have to find solutions.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:20 am

Tim1...It would help if you registered and filled in your equipment into the control panel. To answer your question...Yes...there is a mouth only mask. It's called the Oracle.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fisher ... -mask.html