425St advice needed

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Confused-Appie

425St advice needed

Post by Confused-Appie » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:43 am

Hi all

We are total newbies to the sleep apnea situation and this is our first foray onto this site. We really need some help and guidance here. My wife has been diagnosed with Central Apnea and her rate is 5.8. We have been offered a second hand Tyco 425ST to buy for just under a $1000.00. Apparently it has about 100 hours on it. We are now seeing on the forums and sites that this model is discontinued. As we have to pay cash for it and cannot claim from any insurance and we are in South Africa, would this be a good buy and a good machine?

Many thanks in advance for any guidance.

Julie

Re: 425St advice needed

Post by Julie » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:55 am

Hi - I think you'd be better off to buy your own machine new, online, from a good dealer... the thing is I don't know if Cpap.com (the best, but in Texas) ships to SA or not... but you can call or e-mail them to find out and they may have some idea who to call there... A second hand discontinued machine is not the way to go... and what you want if possible is one with data capability (not just 'compliance' info) so you can track your own progress on your computer, but there is more to it of course and if you go to the lightbulb at the top of the page there is a load of information on everything if you link to the various aspects.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:06 am

Someone else will jump in soon - BUT be aware the Central apnea is NOT Obstructive apnea and needs to be treat with a different kind of machine.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

So Well

Post by So Well » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:24 am

Sorry, I don't have experience with central sleep apnea. You may need a specialized machine.

Go to your original post and click on edit. Then change the title to "Machine for Central Sleep Apnea?"

This should get the attention of members experienced with CSA.

Also clarify "rate of 5.8".

Is that the number of breathing events per hour? Or is it the prescribed pressure? Or something else?

Best of luck,
So Well
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and the government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

So Well

Post by So Well » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:26 am

Let me add that this was very confusing to me at first. Take some time, read the forum, ask more questions and slowly you will develop an understanding and be able to get control of the situation.
So Well
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and the government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson