Just Curious

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kairosgrammy

Just Curious

Post by Kairosgrammy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:27 pm

Since I've discovered with your help, Sleepyhead, I now check my data every day. Don't miss one. It doesn't change much. I stay well below 1 on ahi, rera's are around 1 and will sometimes go up to 2, very seldom any pb/csb. I know that I do need to track how I'm doing because I don't want my sleep apnea to get out of hand like it did before. I just think once in awhile that perhaps I'm being a bit obsessive (I do have a few ocd characteristics but not enough for medicine ) about the whole thing. So I guess the question is, do you check yours everyday, every couple of days, once a week or every so often?

LSAT

Re: Just Curious

Post by LSAT » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:50 pm

This may help with your curiosity...
viewtopic/t73389/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59 ... hi#p561486

snoozysue

Post by snoozysue » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:16 pm

I had to stop myself checking it everyday as it was becoming the first thing I did every morning - for almost 18 months. If the AHI wasn't great (over 1) then I felt I would be tired during the day.
I went to weekly checks and now it might even be a few weeks although I am finding the Sleephead data interesting.

pap4life

Post by pap4life » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:28 pm

I check mine on Sleepyhead ever sunday when I am clean my humidifier chamber and hose, etc. Just curiosity as I don't chase the number.

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:58 pm

I think that would be about right. My only problem is I'd be wondering the rest of the week, what if it isn't as good as I think it should be.
pap4life wrote:I check mine on Sleepyhead ever sunday when I am clean my humidifier chamber and hose, etc. Just curiosity as I don't chase the number.

RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:58 pm

I did check every day when I was learning how to read and interpret the data, because it helped to be able to compare the curves from one day to the next. Filling in the notes box each day also helped me sort out the cause of some patterns I was seeing in the data, and that was useful (and rather fun). Now, I wait until the weekend and scan the previous week all at once; now that I have a feel for the data, a weekly scan gets me the trends and that's all I really need at this point.

If I have an unusually bad night (thankfully those are not common), I will still look at the data that evening just to see what's what.

I have an oximeter on the way, and once that arrives and I get it figured out, I might go back to daily reads for a while to fix the correlations in my head.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:46 am

Kairosgrammy wrote:I think that would be about right. My only problem is I'd be wondering the rest of the week, what if it isn't as good as I think it should be.
I have been checking my data daily or every couple of days because I changed to a different type of machine and I just want to watch it. Night before last...AHI 4.67....normally around 1.0. Other than noting that the AHI was elevated....there really is nothing to change. So ask yourself "what would I do if the it isn't as good as I think it should be". We shouldn't base any changes on a single night of data anyway...especially if all the other nights are okay.

That said, a lot of people just prefer to look at their reports daily. Doesn't hurt a thing. When I was using my APAP machine I went months without checking the reports after checking it pretty much daily for first 6 months. They didn't change much unless there was more leak on a night here and there. Boring. Give me a couple more months and my BiPap use reports will get boring too and I won't bother.

You just recently got a data capable machine and started using the software. Check it however often you want...in time the "want" may lessen as you find that not much ever changes and even if there is an off night every now and then you wouldn't do anything about it anyway.

Part of my checking my data also comes from using SleepyHead software.. I am testing it to see how it does so that I can report any problems. So with the version changes and updates...I need to use it to explain how it works.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:41 am

I will probably go to once/week once I get over the ocd that makes me do it. I woke very rested this morning. I didn't want to get up, not because I felt I needed more sleep but because I was sleeping so good and it was chilly outside my blankets and I just wanted to nestle and sleep/doze for awhile. Data backed up that I slept well and looking at it just confirmed that I slept well. I guess its good to see it in black and white.

My thing is I spent the first 8 or 9 years ignorant of my condition, just trusting that the cpap was doing what it was supposed to do although as time went on, the evidence of how I FELT told a much different story. When I got the results of this past sleep study, I went straight to my DME to get a new cpap. It was a blessing though that they didn't have one in since I'm not too sure about their ethics. It was just who I was used to dealing with. So went to the other DME in town and got the new cpap. I was so shocked by what the sleep doc had told me about the increased severity of my OSA, the fact that they couldn't titrate me up to a point they knew I would do well on my back (At 10, I'd be fine but as soon as I flipped to my back, I went up to 36 ahi, on 10 cm and I'd desat to 80%), the fact that I find stopping breathing in my sleep to be very freaky, I just had to get the data machine so that the doc would know 12 was okay or not okay.
I wish I'd done some research first or been on here first or I'd probably asked for an autoset which would account for the change in breathing status on my side and on my back. Ah well, when I come due in a couple of years, I'll definitely know more.
RocketGirl wrote:I did check every day when I was learning how to read and interpret the data, because it helped to be able to compare the curves from one day to the next. Filling in the notes box each day also helped me sort out the cause of some patterns I was seeing in the data, and that was useful (and rather fun). Now, I wait until the weekend and scan the previous week all at once; now that I have a feel for the data, a weekly scan gets me the trends and that's all I really need at this point.

If I have an unusually bad night (thankfully those are not common), I will still look at the data that evening just to see what's what.

I have an oximeter on the way, and once that arrives and I get it figured out, I might go back to daily reads for a while to fix the correlations in my head.

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:45 am

Believe me, I appreciate that. I've found you to be very knowledgeable and hope I'll be able to help newbies through such a huge adjustment. Don't think I'll ever be that computer literate though.
Pugsy wrote:
Kairosgrammy wrote: Part of my checking my data also comes from using SleepyHead software.. I am testing it to see how it does so that I can report any problems. So with the version changes and updates...I need to use it to explain how it works.

Kody

Post by Kody » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:48 am

After 6 months still checking everyday because mine can vary. Still experimenting trying to get consistent numbers if possible.

Noticed lately I've been kinda clogged up, hard to breathe and had some higher numbers. So for an experiment decided to go all out to see if I could lower my AHI significantly. So before bed did a Sinus Rinse, took a hot shower, and put on a Breathe Right nasal strip. Half way through all this I started thinking, what am I doing? Feel like I'm getting ready to take my Mask out on the town. Wasn't sure if I should buy it dinner and drinks as well before I slept with it or not?... Well I was breathing like a steam engine which was good. Numbers were lower also, but not low enough to justify going through all this every night. My Mask will just have to get used to a plain old face washing before bed.
Complex Sleep Apnea

msradar65

Post by msradar65 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:53 am

I check mine monthly unless I have a bad night. Then I read the data the next morning and make notes.
Diagnosed 08/31/10. Titration 9/02/10. Started CPAP 11/01/10. Auto mode 10-15cm. Alternate mask GoLife for her. Back up mask Full-life full face w/Pad-a-cheek mask liner. Comtec CMS F50 wrist pulse oximeter. Sobakawa Cloud Pillow, Sleepyhead software

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:35 pm

Mine would be lucky to get a cheeseburger.
Kody wrote:Wasn't sure if I should buy it dinner and drinks as well before I slept with it or not?... Well I was breathing like a steam engine which was good. Numbers were lower also, but not low enough to justify going through all this every night. My Mask will just have to get used to a plain old face washing before bed.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:00 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Kairosgrammy wrote:I think that would be about right. My only problem is I'd be wondering the rest of the week, what if it isn't as good as I think it should be.
I have been checking my data daily or every couple of days because I changed to a different type of machine and I just want to watch it. Night before last...AHI 4.67....normally around 1.0. Other than noting that the AHI was elevated....there really is nothing to change. So ask yourself "what would I do if the it isn't as good as I think it should be". We shouldn't base any changes on a single night of data anyway...especially if all the other nights are okay.
Pugsy, Of course I'm curious about that 4.67 AHI! Were there any factors that caused it, leaking, arousals, dreaming,etc.? Not just on the report but anything you yourself were aware of? I have a hard time getting a handle on those kinds of nights because Mike doesn't tell me if he noticed anything different, so I just have to go by the data.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

DaveLP

Post by DaveLP » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:49 pm

I changed early last year from a non-data compatible machine to an Intellipap Auto and found myself ranging in AHI from 8 to 15. I ordered the Smartlink SW and started looking at the data. What I found was that I almost never had an actual blocked airway apnea, but lots of hypopneas, which are periods over 10 seconds of 50% or less inhale /exhale amplitude (tidal volume, I guess). I also had very few or no NRI counts and leaks were well within range for the mask.

I fought and tried different settings for months and finally turned off Exhale Pressure Release. I had noticed that with EPR on almost all settings there was virtually no pressure to breathe out against compared to my Respironics M100 manual machine. Soon, I was getting AHI numbers in the 4-5 range, which is considered normal for the firmware in the Intellipap, which scores differently than some other auto machines. I think that maintaining pressure on exhale was keeping my airway open and possibly signaling my brain to control my breathing a little closer. FWIW, I'm seeing AHI numbers that I like.

cindjo717

Post by cindjo717 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:58 pm

You're funny Dori, an ahi of 4 and change is not such a bad night for me. I love when it's a one or so... the other night I was REALLY exhausted and it was a nine and change. That hasn't happened in a LONG time. I don't know if it was because I fell asleep and rolled onto my back or that I was extremely tired, or both. I notice that when I am totally exhausted my ahi is higher.