Possible CPAP Improvements

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
E.D.D.

Possible CPAP Improvements

Post by E.D.D. » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:25 pm

Hello,

We are an Engineering Design and Development group looking to improve the CPAP machine. We were thinking of adding on a component that would allow the user to add a kind of vapor to. It is impossible to use a vapor or rub while using the machine. The vapor/rub would not get into your lungs since it is blocked by the mask. We would design a component that would allow the user to add that vapor or rub into the mask. What you think about something like this? It is something that you would buy if the price is right? What kind of problems do you see with an idea like this? Or are there any other changes you would make to the CPAP?

Thank you for any help

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Possible CPAP Improvements

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:28 pm

No; I would get PurSleep.
it is inexpensive and safe with the equipment.

KrisasMan

Post by KrisasMan » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:37 pm

I just put the vaporub on a cotton ball or paper towel next to the air intake.

NateS

Post by NateS » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:50 pm

E.D.D. wrote:Hello,

We are an Engineering Design and Development group looking to improve the CPAP machine. We were thinking of adding on a component that would allow the user to add a kind of vapor to. It is impossible to use a vapor or rub while using the machine. The vapor/rub would not get into your lungs since it is blocked by the mask. We would design a component that would allow the user to add that vapor or rub into the mask. What you think about something like this? It is something that you would buy if the price is right? What kind of problems do you see with an idea like this? Or are there any other changes you would make to the CPAP?

Thank you for any help
I wouldn't like any additives blowing up my nose but maybe you could find a way to get the ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt to distinguish and report between Centrals and Obstructives in its reporting? Are you into anything that technical? It would be an interesting challenge if you are.

That would be a BIG improvement.

Ironic that it doesn't since part of the reason for this model is to treat Centrals.

Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:27 pm

I would be very careful what I breathe into my lungs. Why would you want to do this anyway?

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:39 pm

College engineering project?
How about 3D imaging all the different models/sizes of masks out there and creating a 3D sizing database?
Current sizing is only 2D, ignoring prominent/tiny noses and jutting/receding chins.
If you are 'average', they have a mask for you, but average is subjective.

hades161

Post by hades161 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:50 pm

How about an Ethernet port with a Web based interface for monitoring data real time and to be able to run a Diag on the machine itself. Just like say a router interface. Make it so you can browse to it via PC on your home network. Also if you really wanted to with an internet connection, be able to check your data from even your phone or office.

Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.
Sir Winston Churchill

I’m not asleep… but that doesn’t mean I’m awake.
- Albert Camus

E.D.D.

Post by E.D.D. » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:49 pm

We're actually a high school team. I don't really know how technical we can get because we are still in high school and not very good with a lot of technical things and have a very minimal budget but thank you for all your input. We're really just trying to get a general consensus on what kinds of things could be improved on the system.

RipVW

Post by RipVW » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:56 pm

hades161 wrote:How about an Ethernet port with a Web based interface for monitoring data real time and to be able to run a Diag on the machine itself. Just like say a router interface. Make it so you can browse to it via PC on your home network. Also if you really wanted to with an internet connection, be able to check your data from even your phone or office.
Now that would be an excellent feature! Maybe one day!

Check out my chinstrap--> http://cpapchinstraps.com

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:59 pm

High school; now that's different.
Is this a science/engineering class, or a marketing activity?

E.D.D.

Post by E.D.D. » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:15 pm

Yes, it is an engineering class called Engineering Design and Development. And we actually get to take it through Gateway Technical College, one of our local colleges, so we actually get college credit for the class. It really is a win-win situation. In the class we basically have to take a real world problem and create a solution to it. Since one of our members is going into the medical field, we were thinking of doing something along those lines and thought the CPAP machine would be something we could possibly improve.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:34 pm

One note, some of the reaction to your initial suggestion is due to the fact that
the masks we use are enclosed, amplifying the slightest odors or fragrances--
which is why commercial products like PurSleep move it out and away from the mask and machine.
Also many oils are destructive to the silicone material--which is very expensive.
I realize that some of our suggestions may seem beyond your abilities, but, to paraphrase someone from my time:
"We do not do this because it easy; we do it because it is hard."
Good luck!

hades161

Post by hades161 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:42 pm

How about a securable Cpap nightstand tray? Pap machines are expensive and pulling one off the night stand in the middle of the night sucks (been there did that got water up my nose) So a tray that can lock onto a night stand and then the bottom of the unit and be resistant to being pulled down? But at the same time leaving room for it to be open checked and filled so no straps?

Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.
Sir Winston Churchill

I’m not asleep… but that doesn’t mean I’m awake.
- Albert Camus

a1albert

Post by a1albert » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:54 pm

I camp alot with a battery, so anthing that would cut any extra power use. Maybe a non lit button to shut off the lights on the other buttons allowing the machine to run with out all the lights. Anything that could help reduce power usage would be good for me.

Albert

Newbie Woman

Post by Newbie Woman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:19 pm

I wouldn't want to inhale anything due to asthma and fear that it would mess up the mask or machine.

The suggestions above are excellent. Another possible idea is to read the threads on boiling or dishwashing old nasal pillows and mask seals. Why does it rejuvenate some of them? What happens to the silicone? Was it skin oil or facial cream that caused them to lose their oomph, or did an actual chemical change take place? My hypothesis is that the products were formed under high heat conditions and heat restores them.

This is such a wonderful field for you to study. Wide open and in need of bright minds and caring hearts.