Is there a way to block posts from certain individuals?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GumbyCT

Re: Is there a way to block posts from certain individuals?

Post by GumbyCT » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:18 am

Could it be cuz he posted this in a thread that is/was clearly marked OT?
jonnybee wrote:You need a hobby, Gumby. Maybe come out of retirement. It'll give you something to do.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76304&p=697204#p697204

So it's clearly not whether it is or isn't marked. clearly.
Some of us are just not happy with this world and they want others to be as unhappy as they are.

Edit: Others just don't seem to understand that a "forum" is NOT their very own "private" domain but apparently wish it was.

poor jonny

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

NateS

Post by NateS » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:12 am

GumbyCT wrote:
Edit: Others just don't seem to understand that a "forum" is NOT their very own "private" domain but apparently wish it was.

poor jonny
Gumby, I like you and think that your posts, when I read them, are funny and amusing. Sometimes I even join in.

But I disagree with your argument that these questions that pop up periodically are about wanting to change the forum to suit themselves.

They are not about changing the forum. The questions are about whether there are ways to individually configure the way readers view the forum. I don't see anything wrong with asking a question like that. If there aren't ways to do that, okay, why not just tell those who asked something like - "Sorry, no. There is no way to do that on this board."

For example, I have often wondered whether there is a way to sort the list of topics by most recent new posts or by topics I have started reading previously, but I frankly have been reluctant to ask because I am almost sure I will be jumped on by a few who insist I am trying to change the cpaptalk to suit myself. Or that I am dumb, lazy, selfish or opposed to democracy and freedom?!

Why this need to attack the questioners who ask about whether there are different ways to view the forum?

Regards, Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:21 am

I have found a effective way to make changes to what I see on forums. I got this large container of White Out, anything that doesn't agree with me, I just mask out. Only downside, maybe, the fumes make me dizzy. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

2flamingos

Post by 2flamingos » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:04 pm

Goofproof wrote:It's called a Mouse, it works well when driven by a functioning brain, just scroll past the offending members post, works like a champ. Jim

A little self control is a good thing, Just Don't Click!

My thoughts exactly, Jim!

It's just a click.

Old enough to know better

Karma is a Wonderful Thing.

RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:20 pm

NateS wrote: They are not about changing the forum. The questions are about whether there are ways to individually configure the way readers view the forum. I don't see anything wrong with asking a question like that. If there aren't ways to do that, okay, why not just tell those who asked something like - "Sorry, no. There is no way to do that on this board."

For example, I have often wondered whether there is a way to sort the list of topics by most recent new posts or by topics I have started reading previously, but I frankly have been reluctant to ask because I am almost sure I will be jumped on by a few who insist I am trying to change the cpaptalk to suit myself. Or that I am dumb, lazy, selfish or opposed to democracy and freedom?!

Why this need to attack the questioners who ask about whether there are different ways to view the forum?

Regards, Nate
I tend to agree with NateS on this one. I am a relative newbie here (but not to forums in general), and I've almost left cpaptalk several times simply because the way people get jumped on for asking anything about the forum itself is way too harsh and way too bitter in many cases; ditto with newbies who express their questions and frustrations and get some very judgmental brush-offs in reply. I could not care less about Off-topic vs. On-topic - that's a mare's nest akin to Windows vs. Mac IMHO - but I don't think deliberate rudeness, dismissiveness, hijacking or taunting are seemly adult behaviours (now watch someone jump in to gleefully assert that I'm trying to change the forum to suit me - no, I'm just stating my opinion of a very strong piece of the dynamic I see here.)

Quite simply, that "stuff" is a disincentive to anyone who might be thinking of joining and contributing or getting help, and so it's a disservice to the community and to our hosts.

If there weren't the counterpoint of a few people who totally bend over backwards to help folks, the vehement nastiness that some folks indulge in would have killed this place for me before I ever got started. There are some questions I too have not asked, as a newbie, because I know damn well that a number of folks will use it as an excuse to pile on.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:43 pm

NateS wrote:But I disagree with your argument that these questions that pop up periodically are about wanting to change the forum to suit themselves.
I like you too and I have never learned a thing from someone who always agrees with me. Allow me to make a couple of points clear in case you missed them.
GumbyCT wrote:Could it be cuz he posted this in a thread that is/was clearly marked OT?

jonnybee wrote:You need a hobby, Gumby. Maybe come out of retirement. It'll give you something to do.
jb launched a personal attack inside this thread clearly marked OT.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76304&p=697204#p697204

Then started this thread about how OT posts annoy him whether they are marked or NOT. Yet he does NOT marked his thread OT.

To me that is yet another personal attack and is opening the mouth to remove ALL doubt.

Clearly there are issues other than whether a topic is or is NOT marked. So I pointed it out. I tend to point out the obvious but in this case some may have missed it.
NateS wrote:But I have noticed that any time that a relative newcomer, like myself, raises a question about how to avoid OT posts, they are treated way too rudely, in my humble opinion. This is uncalled for.
I should point out that jb is not new and IMO it is the personal attacks made by jb and others which are "Uncalled for".

Apparently you are of the opinion that others can launch personal attacks and those attacked should remain mum?

The point I am trying to make is "Do NOT dish it out IF you can't take it". IF they had never posted would we be having this discussion? Not with me.

I don't go telling others how they "should live" their lives. It seems there are many who cannot do that. I feel lucky
NateS wrote:For example, I have often wondered whether there is a way to sort the list of topics by most recent new posts or by topics I have started reading previously,
My posts are sorted (by default) with the most recent post at the top.

HTH

;)

ems

Post by ems » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:16 pm

I've learned to live with the OT posts too, and I've participated in some of them. Some get rather amusing and I enjoy laughing. I've decided that whether marked OT or not, just not important enough to get into a tizzy about. Too much other stuff going on in the world to get upset about.

I do agree with Nate tho... have to say that...
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:30 pm

RocketGirl wrote: I tend to agree with NateS on this one. I am a relative newbie here (but not to forums in general), and I've almost left cpaptalk several times simply because the way people get jumped on for asking anything about the forum itself is way too harsh and way too bitter in many cases; ditto with newbies who express their questions and frustrations and get some very judgmental brush-offs in reply. I could not care less about Off-topic vs. On-topic - that's a mare's nest akin to Windows vs. Mac IMHO - but I don't think deliberate rudeness, dismissiveness, hijacking or taunting are seemly adult behaviours (now watch someone jump in to gleefully assert that I'm trying to change the forum to suit me - no, I'm just stating my opinion of a very strong piece of the dynamic I see here.)

Quite simply, that "stuff" is a disincentive to anyone who might be thinking of joining and contributing or getting help, and so it's a disservice to the community and to our hosts.

If there weren't the counterpoint of a few people who totally bend over backwards to help folks, the vehement nastiness that some folks indulge in would have killed this place for me before I ever got started. There are some questions I too have not asked, as a newbie, because I know damn well that a number of folks will use it as an excuse to pile on.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

The way some people respond to certain types of questions on this forum is unbelievable.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:07 pm

RocketGirl wrote: I tend to agree with NateS on this one. I am a relative newbie here (but not to forums in general), and I've almost left cpaptalk several times simply because the way people get jumped on for asking anything about the forum itself is way too harsh and way too bitter in many cases; ditto with newbies who express their questions and frustrations and get some very judgmental brush-offs in reply.

Yes and it is so polite of new people to walk into an occupied "space" and suggest people re-arrange the furniture, throw out the "clutter" and tell people what they SHOULD be talking about. It goes over real well in reality too.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

ems

Post by ems » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:47 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:
RocketGirl wrote: I tend to agree with NateS on this one. I am a relative newbie here (but not to forums in general), and I've almost left cpaptalk several times simply because the way people get jumped on for asking anything about the forum itself is way too harsh and way too bitter in many cases; ditto with newbies who express their questions and frustrations and get some very judgmental brush-offs in reply.

Yes and it is so polite of new people to walk into an occupied "space" and suggest people re-arrange the furniture, throw out the "clutter" and tell people what they SHOULD be talking about. It goes over real well in reality too.
Except this isn't "reality" and it isn't an "occupied space". It's an internet site open to ALL who have questions, and all who choose to pay it forward regarding sleep apnea. Sometimes rearranging the furniture and tossing out the clutter isn't a bad idea.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

akeegan

Post by akeegan » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:54 pm

Umm... OT?

Elle

Post by Elle » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:16 pm

OT = Off topic.

I love it here.

When I arrive at a cocktail party that is already well under way I like to get a feel for the place. There might be a loudmouth who has had too much to drink going around pinching bums or any other annoying little goings on but I gravitate to the circle where there are interesting things going on.

This party feels so overwhelmingly interesting, warm, intelligent, and generous that I don't even notice the bum pinchers.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:03 am

Goofproof wrote:It's called a Mouse, it works well when driven by a functioning brain, just scroll past the offending members post, works like a champ. Jim

A little self control is a good thing, Just Don't Click!
Goofproof wrote:I have found a effective way to make changes to what I see on forums. I got this large container of White Out, anything that doesn't agree with me, I just mask out. Only downside, maybe, the fumes make me dizzy. Jim
I have mostly managed to stay out of debates here.

If I ever feel the urge to get in a debate, I just look for Goofproof's posts and I get

1)the truth phrased as good life philosophy,

2)a great laugh and

3)the urge to debate subsides.

First read: viewtopic/t172378/Sticky--Newbies-PLEAS ... STING.html

Then get a free account: https://home.sleephq.com/

Post links in this thread for members to see and make recommendations.

RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:36 am

BlackSpinner wrote: Yes and it is so polite of new people to walk into an occupied "space" and suggest people re-arrange the furniture, throw out the "clutter" and tell people what they SHOULD be talking about. It goes over real well in reality too.
That's a false analogy. When people ask whether there is a way to tailor THEIR EXPERIENCE of a forum, through user settings or whatever, that is not the same as wanting to rearrange everything for everybody.

People here should stop making value judgments about what other people want. There is here a huge range of people with different levels of internet skills, different backgrounds, and different needs. If someone would have a better experience of the forum if they could hide certain threads, or make the print bigger, or sort topics differently, it should not offend anyone that they ask if there's a way to do that. It is none of anybody else's business whether they "should" want what they want. It suffices that they want it, and it harms absolutely no one for them to ask.

It harms everyone, though, when the immediate response is to start attacking them based on careless misinterpretation of what they asked in the first place.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:04 am

ems wrote:Except this isn't "reality" and it isn't an "occupied space".
I take offense to that.

I came here because I liked the way the furniture was arranged and the characters that occupied the space. Tho I will say that I never liked all the characters, I do think it is a different kind of illness to just blurt out in public "I don't like you and wish you would go away". That behavior is beyond the scope of this forum.

btw- that kind of behavior isn't tolerated in the places with all the new furniture either. But they do have all the nice neat little boxes for those who choose that type of environment. I don't think it is a bad thing to point out to those who don't like the arrangements here that there are other places that they may be more comfortable at.

They just don't do things as well as we do here.

;)