Just joined the club

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Fropa

Just joined the club

Post by Fropa » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:25 pm

Hello to all.

I had my sleep study 2 nights ago. Tech had me test all 3 types of masks and I liked the Swift FX the best but I was worried I wouldn't be able to breath just through my nose all night. The tech had me put the CPAP gear on somewhere through the night and I used it until the end of the test. I didn't feel like I slept after, but she said I did and didn't have a problem breathing through my nose. I talked to the doctor in the morning and he said I had an 18 before the CPAP and a zero after. Can it help that much? After reading a bunch of posts here it sounds like people are happy to get a 4 or less with the machine. My prescription is for a CPAP with pressure of 5, pressure relief and ramp. Under requirements everything is checked but Passover, so I guess I'll get the complete set-up. I have an appointment to get everything in a few days. I don't know what choices I'll have as far as picking the machine goes. It sounds like some people get to choose and some just get what they get depending on the insurance rules. I'm sure the equipment process will be kind of overwhelming so I wanted to find out what I need to ask, try, test, and say while I'm there to make sure what I need. Looking at machines it looks like the S9 Elite or the PR System One Pro are the 2 most talked about machines if I have a choice.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

BlackSpinner

Re: Just joined the club

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:34 pm

Start here : http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx

Be prepared and ready to defend your needs.
Write down everything and all questions.

Call your insurance first and find out what they allow.

Remember - it is YOUR health, YOUR life that is being impacted. Treat this whole thing like you are planning a polar expedition, research and pick the products which are going to keep you alive.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

RipVW

Post by RipVW » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:06 pm

Hello & Welcome, Fropa! Glad you found this forum—SO much useful info and everyone here is so willing to help!
You're lucky to have found this forum as you begin CPAP—took me almost year before I found this place and, with the help of folks here, got my CPAP therapy working as it should. It does take time to get everything tweaked and working at its best, so patience is key as one begins CPAP. I think you've made good choices for your preferred machines, though you might indeed have to push hard to get one of them. Good luck!

"You are getting sleepy . . ."
Check out my chinstrap--> http://cpapchinstraps.com

imsleepynomore

Post by imsleepynomore » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:49 am

a big Welcome to you ,this site is where you will get a ton of information to make you a CPAP expert no joke without this site I would not be a comfortable at night lab rat info is gold

Fropa

Post by Fropa » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:05 pm

Thanks for the welcomes and info. One thing I'm worried about is nasal pillows and allergies. Will the forced air into my nostrils keep me from being blocked or will I wish I had a nose/mouth mask because I'll need to breath through my mouth? I did fine at the sleep study without a Breath Right strip so was wondering if others with allergy problems do OK with nasal pillows.

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:19 pm

I'll give you the same advice my sleep doc gave me. He told me with utmost seriosity that the one thing he cannot overemphasize is how important it is to get into the habit of spraying saline nasal spray into each nostril every night before you strap on. He said to avoid Afrin and other nasal sprays; just use saline. And if you get congested, keep spraying and sucking the spray into your nose until it runs down the back of your throat. I followed his advice and have had no problem just using a nasal pillows mask in 20 months. I haven't been sick in that time, either.

If you're not yet decided on which mask to use, try out the Opus 360 and the Aloha masks, too. They're about the same thing. I find the Opus stays in place lots better than the Swift FX, which I also have.

Fropa

Post by Fropa » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Thanks for the tip Slartybartfast. My insurance required me to use a specific DME so I dropped my paperwork off there today. They only have Resmed machines so I will get the S9 Elite with humidifier. I asked about the Opus 360 and Aloha masks and they said they don't have them in stock. Not sure if they would order me one if I asked. They said they had several masks for me to try. They do have the 30 day free exchange on the masks. I should get my machine the beginning of next week.