Nasal gurgling, a never before experience.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BasementDwellingGeek

Nasal gurgling, a never before experience.

Post by BasementDwellingGeek » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:14 pm

I usually flush my nasal cavities (neti pot) about an hour before bed. When allergens are in abundance I might flush 2 or three times a day. Yesterday I didn't feel the need. It might have been the jalapeno on the pizza for lunch that kept things open through the day or maybe was the root of the problem.

I woke sometime in the night with some discomfort in the upper left part of my head. No biggie, go back to sleep. Some time around 5AM I rolled face down to the left on my belly and things started flowing. There was a gurgling popping thing going on in my left nostril. Never felt anything like it, an effervescent pop rocks kind of thing. Needless to say I couldn't get back to sleep. My left nostril was sort of moist most of the morning after getting up.

Anybody else ever have this happen?

As I type this at 2 in the afternoon my left nostril is free and clear with a little congestion in the right.

bdg
(PR System One REMstar Pro CPAP Machine with C-Flex Plus and related humidifier as backup)

There are two types of people in this world. Those that can extrapolate from incomplete data

ChicagoGranny

Re: Nasal gurgling, a never before experience.

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:20 pm

Sounds like something got jalapen your nose.
First read: viewtopic/t172378/Sticky--Newbies-PLEAS ... STING.html

Then get a free account: https://home.sleephq.com/

Post links in this thread for members to see and make recommendations.

LoneStar

Post by LoneStar » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:26 pm

I have that happen occasionally when my sinuses are especially wonky. If I turn over in bed, one side or the other might drain. And yeah, sometimes it gurgles and makes noise. It's a normal occurrence for me.

Lisa

Additional Comments: APAP, humidifier on passover, heated hose
With xPAP therapy, do or do not; there is no try.

BasementDwellingGeek

Post by BasementDwellingGeek » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:28 am

Every thing was "normal" last night despite tacos made with dried habaneros!

bdg
(PR System One REMstar Pro CPAP Machine with C-Flex Plus and related humidifier as backup)

There are two types of people in this world. Those that can extrapolate from incomplete data

Anemos

Post by Anemos » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:10 pm

I have experienced the same issue where I have felt a gurgling or popping sensation deep within my nasal area.

I currently use a Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet with a heated tube and Phillips Dreamwear Nasal Mask.

I have experienced this issue with different types of Nasal Masks and Nasal Pillows but interestingly I have not noticed it with a full face mask.
It's usually after 4 hours of use that I tend to notice this issue and even though it doesn't hurt it tends to wake me up instantly.
There are nights where I experience this issue just a few times and other nights I will continue to experience this issue every time I fall back to sleep.

At this present time my two main suspicions of why this might be occurring are for the following reasons:
1) My humidity setting is set too high although with that said, I have reduced the setting down to 2 with no noticeable difference nor am I experiencing any rainout - in fact I wake up with a dry mouth even though my mouth shut.
2) As I am using the AutoSet setting on my Resmed machine it might be possible that when the pressure drops automatically there is a release of pressure in my nasal area which cause this sensation.

I would love to hear from anyone who has been able to resolve this issue.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:46 am

Anemos wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:10 pm
I have experienced the same issue where I have felt a gurgling or popping sensation deep within my nasal area.

I currently use a Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet with a heated tube and Phillips Dreamwear Nasal Mask.

I have experienced this issue with different types of Nasal Masks and Nasal Pillows but interestingly I have not noticed it with a full face mask.
It's usually after 4 hours of use that I tend to notice this issue and even though it doesn't hurt it tends to wake me up instantly.
There are nights where I experience this issue just a few times and other nights I will continue to experience this issue every time I fall back to sleep.

At this present time my two main suspicions of why this might be occurring are for the following reasons:
1) My humidity setting is set too high although with that said, I have reduced the setting down to 2 with no noticeable difference nor am I experiencing any rainout - in fact I wake up with a dry mouth even though my mouth shut.
2) As I am using the AutoSet setting on my Resmed machine it might be possible that when the pressure drops automatically there is a release of pressure in my nasal area which cause this sensation.

I would love to hear from anyone who has been able to resolve this issue.
The topic you responded to is over 12 years old.

Start a new new topic describing your problem specific to you so people don't have to wade through somebody elses topic with all sorts or posts that may or may not be relevant to your needs.
  • Download OSCAR
  • Import your data
  • Post some charts
  • Put your equipment in your signature
All this is described in the pinned topics.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:22 am

As you get older, you will marvel at the strange noises that come from various parts of your body.
You will observe some are accompanied with pain--some, none.
Listen to your body talk.