Dementia / Alzheimers caused by sleep apnea?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Gerald

Dementia / Alzheimers caused by sleep apnea?

Post by Gerald » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:21 pm

Those of us with sleep apnea are at high risk of developing Dementia and/or Alzheimer's because of the high levels of Cortisol we produce during the night (if we don't successfully treat our condition with CPAP therapy).

Check out the following article:

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/328 ... -lifestyle

greatunclebill

Re: Dementia / Alzheimers caused by sleep apnea?

Post by greatunclebill » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:30 pm

the way i read it they are studying 140 people over age 50. not something i'm gonna worry about or even think about. should have said could be at risk, not we are at risk.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:33 pm

Couldn't tolerate the pop up videos. But what I did read said they were hoping to develop a new drug. Now that's just what we need more of.

ekubaskie

Post by ekubaskie » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:02 pm

Excuse me folks. I've rarely done this before... I hate trolling, or seeming to... but I've been reading a book lately (rereading, actually) by James P. Hogan, titled "Kicking the Sacred Cow". It's about, well, kicking (tipping?) the sacred cows of modern "science". Like for instance, "scientists agree that global warming is caused by human activity". I'm not making any statement about cause, but about scientists. The majority of the signatories to the Kyoto accords have degrees, and careers, in the political and social sciences. Not the physical sciences, much less climatology. But they do agree! And, dare we ask... profit?

As to this piece: did I miss the word "apnea" in the article? I read "sleeping problems", but there's a lot of those that aren't OSA.

A search for "apnea" did not find the word in the article at all, neither "OSA". Neither appear at all on the fairly voluminous Wiki for Cortisol. Not conclusive, true, but it does disqualify both as references for the claim of cause and effect.

Honestly? I'd say the untreated "we" are lucky to live long enough to develop dementia.

Dan Jacobs

Post by Dan Jacobs » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:36 pm

"Extra-ordinary claims require extra-ordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

I apply this very sober quote to everything I hear about that has even somewhat of an extraordinary claim. It saves me a lot of frustration, especially in trying to convince others of stuff that even I don't know or care much about.

ekubaskie

Post by ekubaskie » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:56 am

Read Kicking the Sacred Cow - you'll never quote Sagan again.

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:25 pm

ekubaskie wrote:Excuse me folks. I've rarely done this before... I hate trolling, or seeming to... but I've been reading a book lately (rereading, actually) by James P. Hogan, titled "Kicking the Sacred Cow". It's about, well, kicking (tipping?) the sacred cows of modern "science". Like for instance, "scientists agree that global warming is caused by human activity". I'm not making any statement about cause, but about scientists. The majority of the signatories to the Kyoto accords have degrees, and careers, in the political and social sciences. Not the physical sciences, much less climatology. But they do agree! And, dare we ask... profit?

As to this piece: did I miss the word "apnea" in the article? I read "sleeping problems", but there's a lot of those that aren't OSA.

A search for "apnea" did not find the word in the article at all, neither "OSA". Neither appear at all on the fairly voluminous Wiki for Cortisol. Not conclusive, true, but it does disqualify both as references for the claim of cause and effect.

Honestly? I'd say the untreated "we" are lucky to live long enough to develop dementia.
What global warming?? We hardly had a summer and now winter is here its freezing.Give me a break.

user from Singapore

Post by user from Singapore » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:29 pm

ozze_dollar wrote: What global warming?? We hardly had a summer and now winter is here its freezing.Give me a break.
Like for your sleep apnea data, don't make a conclusion by looking just at one night data. See the whole picture.