How many really benefit from humidirier?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tomjax

How many really benefit from humidirier?

Post by tomjax » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:03 pm

The reason I ask is that I have been on Pap for 17+ years and at first tried a passive humidifier but soon got tired of it.
I did not feel any difference with or without it.
I live at sea level in Jax Fl and perhaps would feel different if I lived in a low humidity area.
Anyone here who used HH for a time and then discontinued it?
I wonder how many are persuaded by their doc or dme that it is necessary.
I may be wrong, but I think it is highly overrated and most would see little benefit from HH.

And how does it work when a homeless person is sentenced to house arrest?

Maxie

Re: How many really benefit from humidirier?

Post by Maxie » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:12 pm

I use a humidifier and I definitely benefit from it. Before CPAP I had several sinus infections each year and I've had none since on CPAP. If I don't use the humidifier, even living in humid NC, I can feel the dryness inside of my nose. I have nasal pillows blowing air up my nose and I think that no matter what, that just the movement of the air will dry out my nasal passages. Also, it seems that with the air conditioning removing the humidity from the air inside my house, I need the humidity in my nose.

jlmoorekcmo

Post by jlmoorekcmo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:15 pm

I for one think it is necessary especially during colder months. Insurance company must also because they pay for it.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:22 pm

every person has different needs. the humidifier, heated or not, is a personal comfort item. for some people it is a neccessity. i also live in a very humid area, mobile alabama. i use the humidifier on the lowest heat setting year round and have done so for many years. my wife on the other hand, removed her humidifier completely. same room, different people, different needs. there is no right or wrong answer here.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

jnk

Post by jnk » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:27 pm

According to one study in 1999:
CPAP use with heated humidity, but not cold passover humidity, resulted in greater usage when compared to CPAP use without humidity. Specific side effects that compromised CPAP use, such as dry mouth or throat and dry nose, were experienced to a lesser degree during heated humidification, when compared to CPAP use with cold passover humidity or CPAP use without humidity. The patients were more satisfied with CPAP when it was used with either heated or cold passover humidity. However, the patients awoke feeling more refreshed when CPAP was used with heated humidity. This suggests that the increased compliance with heated humidity was a result of fewer adverse side effects, specifically dry mouth or throat, dry nose, and feeling more refreshed on awakening.
http://journal.publications.chestnet.or ... id=1078083

And as for house arrest, I guess it don't pay to be homeless in PA:

http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/h ... og-362953/
Last edited by jnk on Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:32 pm

I did a home titration that took a full month, and I had no humidifier during that time. I was miserable, my nasal passages were dry and sore. It was an incredible relief to finally have a humidifer. I don't put it on very high--my usual setting is 2, but it's just enough to keep me comfortable.

And when I feel a cold coming on, I turn my humidifier on "classic mode" (more warmth) and crank up the humidifier to have my own personal "vaporizer". It helps a LOT!

Some people are fine without humidifers and that's OK, but for those of us who need them, they are a godsend. I remember reading old, old forum posts when humidifiers were considered "luxury items" instead of necessities, and people used to have to fight their insurance companies and even doctors in order to get them. I'm glad those days are OVER. If you don't want/need your humidifier, you might be able to sell it to someone with your machine who will be happy to have a backup.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

SleepDepraved2

Post by SleepDepraved2 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:59 pm

I have to have a humidifier. I get frequent nosebleeds in the winter, so before CPAP I ran a cold mist humidifier in my room plus used nasal saline and Ayr saline gel before I went to bed and if I was lucky, I managed to cut my nosebleeds down to 1 per week. I used to be able to do without all of that during the summer, but this year I kept on getting occult nosebleeds, i.e., my nose would bleed, but it wouldn't bleed enough to bleed out. Since going on CPAP, no more nosebleeds.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:22 pm

I don't usually use mine, but my sinuses dried out bad this week, so I was glad to have it. Humidity varies and A/C and furnaces dry out the air.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:24 pm

Humidity made all the difference for me. I went from waking up every 60-90 minutes, all night, every night, to sleeping solidly waking up maybe once or twice.

I spent 2+ years on the Trilogy 100, being told humidity was NOT necessary, suffering all the awakenings. One night with the humidifier - what a relief. So much more comfortable.

Then I got ticked off because I spent over two years without it because idiots told me I didn't "need" it.

For me, it was the "missing link" to a puzzle that plagued me (and many people on the forum) for two years.

Benefit? Understatement of the year in my case....

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:52 pm

It seems there are more people who use and like the humidifier than people who don't. I have a friend who lives in the San Francisco Bay area and has been on pap for many years, he never uses a humidifier and does fine. But I suspect that's partly because he lives nearer to the coast. Here in the Sacramento valley, no way would I want to go without some humidification -- it's 104 here today, A/C running constantly, air dry, gotta have some humidity shooting up my nose and sinuses along with the blasting air!

The Choker

Post by The Choker » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:31 pm

I live in a humid climate and do not use a humidifier. When I travel to Arizona or any arid climate I make sure to use it.
T.C.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:39 pm

It is a necessity here. Canadian heated homes make the Gobi dessert seem like a swamp. When your sinuses dry out first they swell then they get cracks into which bacteria love to multiply. The wonder of cpap treatment in the winter means no more sinus issue and reduced asthma attacks.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

robysue

Post by robysue » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:42 pm

The need for HH is very dependent on the individual. Some folks tomjax (the OP) can easily gt along without it and indeed may strongly prefer to have no humidification. My younger brother is like that.

But for me? My nose craves the humidity---even when it triggers a bit of rainout. The one night I tried to do without a heated humidifier (while camping), I was miserable during the night and felt much less than 100% the next day. Next night, I hooked the humidifier into the battery as well and was much better.

So in my humble opinion, it is a good thing that HH are no longer regarded as luxury items. After all: It is a lot easier to unhook a HH that you neither want nor need than it is to add a nonexistent humidifier to the system when you need it, but don't have it

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:43 pm

If I was living back home in Australia, a humidifier would be unnecessary, however now I live in the U.S. in balmy Wisconsin where the winter air is incredibly dry, I would have a sore throat every morning without it. I tried going without the humidifier a few days during the last winter and even with our AprilAire going it was still very dry.

So..... I'm one who does benefit from a humidifier - in winter. In summer, it comes off my CPAP and gets packed away until autumn. The humidifier also makes a big difference to my allergies/sinuses during autumn and spring so I don't remove it until summer is in full swing.

Cheers,
xena

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:53 pm

xenablue wrote:If I was living back home in Australia, a humidifier would be unnecessary, however now I live in the U.S. in balmy Wisconsin where the winter air is incredibly dry, I would have a sore throat every morning without it. I tried going without the humidifier a few days during the last winter and even with our AprilAire going it was still very dry.

So..... I'm one who does benefit from a humidifier - in winter. In summer, it comes off my CPAP and gets packed away until autumn. The humidifier also makes a big difference to my allergies/sinuses during autumn and spring so I don't remove it until summer is in full swing.

Cheers,
xena
Well I still live in Australia and I always use my humidifier. I think its worthwhile to take more notice of the conditions in your bedroom rather than what its like outside.