Going for second sleep study tomorrow - new to sleep apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mzlaura1884

Going for second sleep study tomorrow - new to sleep apnea

Post by mzlaura1884 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:10 pm

I went in for my initial first sleep study on July 25th my drs office does it in 2 different night unless you have a split night which apparently i didn't. I called to find out if i had to keep the 2nd night appointment because they booked them both at the same time. They told me to keep it which confirms what i suspected i have some sort of sleep apnea. Tomorrow i go for the mask night and i think that's half and half not quite sure. August 9th i meet with my sleep study doctor as i have gotten no results yet. So far i have called my insurance company and they are covering both nights and i talked to them about the cpap and how that is going to work,, they gave me some names of companies that are in their network that i can go through for the cpap. I have no idea what i am dealing with and i am new to this entire thing. Anything i should know or do?

Thanks,
Laura

BlackSpinner

Re: Going for second sleep study tomorrow - new to sleep apnea

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:51 pm

What you need to read:

What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx

Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

You should also click on the "cpap wiki" - the light bulb above to get all the gory details.

Now you may be a lucky one and get a responsible honourable provider of medical equipment (DME) who actually knows what they are selling, However most of us have had better dealings with used car salesmen and other con artists.

Sit down and write out all your questions, make a list of machines that acceptable to you so they can't bait and swap. Check everything.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:26 pm

mzlaura1884 wrote:Tomorrow i go for the mask night and i think that's half and half not quite sure.
Laura,

Did you sleep well the first time? If not, then you might want to ask your doctor for a "sleeping aid" (ie, sleeping pill). It is important for them to get good data, and with all the wires and CPAP stuff, some folks find it hard to sleep. I did great on a few of my sleep studies, but on the most recent one, I couldn't sleep at all. I couldn't get comfortable, and the pressure changes bothered me. I wish I would have had the option of a sleeping pill for that one.

-john-

Cindy Lou Who

Post by Cindy Lou Who » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:42 pm

Welcome to the forum. You've gotten a great head start finding this place. It's already been said to read, read, and read. Also make notes and ask a lot of questions here. NO ONE will fault you for asking. AND no question is too silly or dumb.
Remember, each one of us began in about the same way: either in a sleep lab or at home. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here willing to help you sort things out.
You are your own best health care advocate. The more you know, the better off you are.
Keep us updated with what you find out. Especially if you have apnea. There are some key things to learn and write down to take with you when you visit your Dr. and pick up your equipment (if you need it).
Good luck,
Cindy

Chikorita

Post by Chikorita » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:54 pm

Hello and welcome.
I'm at the beginning of my journey too.
Lots of wise people here.

________
Chikorita in Australia :: APAP since 3/8/2012
1 God, 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 dogs, 8 chooks, 5 ducks, 3 budgies and a bee hive
Equipment - ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset :: AirFit P10 Nasal Pillow :: Pressure range 7-12cm :: OSCAR

mzlaura1884

Post by mzlaura1884 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:10 pm

Well here I am at my 2nd sleep study tech gave me done results said I am mild around 8 apnea and first few stages but at the dream stage I hit 28 apneas which he said was moderate and my worst stage. My oxygen spouted as low as 82% I am trying like 4 different masks tonight

YogaKitty

Post by YogaKitty » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:06 pm

Laura, I'm new to all this too. Everyone here is so nice and helpful. Your numbers sound like what the tech told me mine were. I have finished my studies and now I'm waiting on hearing from my doctor.
I also have used a night guard for twelve years.

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:26 pm

mzlaura1884 wrote:Well here I am at my 2nd sleep study tech gave me done results said I am mild around 8 apnea and first few stages but at the dream stage I hit 28 apneas which he said was moderate and my worst stage. My oxygen spouted as low as 82% I am trying like 4 different masks tonight
Laura,

Good luck the rest of the night. It isn't too unusual to have far worse apnea during REM. That is when your body is the most relaxed, so the airway obstruction has the most issues at that time. This means that you might be a candidate for an auto machine (APAP) which can have lower pressure when your events are fewer, then it can ramp up when you are asleep and in REM when you need a little stronger treatment. However, the sleep study and your doctor will come up with a final treatment plan, I am just speculating here.

-john-

mzlaura1884

Post by mzlaura1884 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:16 am

Hmm what is the difference between apap and cpap? Apparently with the quattro full mask for her last night that was my choice my incidents went to 0

Tino2You

Post by Tino2You » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:30 am

mzlaura1884 wrote:Hmm what is the difference between apap and cpap? Apparently with the quattro full mask for her last night that was my choice my incidents went to 0
CPAP - constant positive air pressure

APAP - An AutoPAP can be set to deliver a range of low/high pressures, customizable within 4 - 20 cm H2O.

BiPAP - Bilevel machines(Respironics terms are BiPAP, Adapt SV, VPAP, and AVAPS. A ResMed term is VPAP.)

XPAP is just a way to say "any" type of cpap machine...cpap, bipap (bi-level), autopap.

At the top of the page is a light bulb for the CPAP WIKI.
-tino

Additional Comments: Autoset Pressure 9-15.6, EPR 1, no ramp
Tino