How long after Nasal Surgery before your back on the hose?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kody

How long after Nasal Surgery before your back on the hose?

Post by Kody » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:55 am

Hey guys,
Just had Septoplasty and Turbinate Surgery on Monday, and am in the recovery stage. Will have the plastic splints taken out on Monday. Just wondering from those of you that have been through this, about how long after they take out the splints can you go back on the hose? I'm sure the Dr. will tell me, but just wondering what your experience has been. Thanks in advance, would love to get back to normal soon.
Complex Sleep Apnea

Re: How long after Nasal Surgery before your back on the hose?

Post by 1041 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:55 am

From your old posts it seemed that ASV was working decently for you. Why did you choose to get the surgery?

roster

Post by roster » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:09 am

Kody wrote:Hey guys,
Just had Septoplasty and Turbinate Surgery on Monday, and am in the recovery stage. Will have the plastic splints taken out on Monday. Just wondering from those of you that have been through this, about how long after they take out the splints can you go back on the hose? I'm sure the Dr. will tell me, but just wondering what your experience has been. Thanks in advance, would love to get back to normal soon.
I never missed a night - had septoplasty and turbinate reduction surgery in the morning and used my F&P full face mask that night. There was a fair amount of blood in the mask the next morning but I just washed it out and kept on. Used it the next three nights and then the splints were removed and I continued with the mask.

Doctor's orders were no CPAP for three or four weeks. What does he know? He never had the surgery and he never used CPAP.

Know your limitations and evaluate the risk. Every case is different.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

Kody

Post by Kody » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:10 am

1041 wrote:From your old posts it seemed that ASV was working decently for you. Why did you choose to get the surgery?
It was working very well for me. However my left nostril was almost completely blocked due to a deviated septum, and thought it was about time to get it taken care of. Want to go back to Lap Swimming and that is the side I breath out of, but mainly I also want to be able to go down to a nasal mask instead of a full faced mask. It would be great to have a choice of masks and not have to be an exclusive "mouth breather", not that there is anything wrong with that.
Complex Sleep Apnea

roster

Post by roster » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:12 am

1041 wrote:From your old posts it seemed that ASV was working decently for you. Why did you choose to get the surgery?

If you have enlarged turbinates and a deviated septum air flow is restricted not only when asleep and using CPAP but also when awake. Even for people with those conditions who do not have sleep apnea the surgery yields wonderful results and improved health.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

Kody

Post by Kody » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:19 am

roster wrote:
Kody wrote:Hey guys,
I never missed a night - had septoplasty and turbinate reduction surgery in the morning and used my F&P full face mask that night. There was a fair amount of blood in the mask the next morning but I just washed it out and kept on. Used it the next three nights and then the splints were removed and I continued with the mask.

Doctor's orders were no CPAP for three or four weeks. What does he know? He never had the surgery and he never used CPAP.

Know your limitations and evaluate the risk. Every case is different.
Wow Roster your the man!
Mine was and has still been bleeding still pretty good. Have been sleeping in a recliner every night, so I'm thinking when they take them out I should probaby be good to go. It does seem so strange not to have the mask on lately.
Complex Sleep Apnea

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:24 am

We missed you, Roster.
Hi.

lullaby

Post by lullaby » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:57 pm

Usually 4 weeks. I'm 5 weeks post-op from the same surgery and i went back on cpap about a week ago with no issues.

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:12 pm

Gee, I seem to keep bringing this up lately, but an oral (mouth only) mask may be some some use. There's no pressurized air at all in your nose when using one of these once you adjust to keeping the valve at the back of your nose closed. They are a bit hard to get used to.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.