My first nite without pap, in 7 years

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Stinkielee

Re: My first nite without pap, in 7 years

Post by Stinkielee » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:38 pm

Pugsy wrote:8 broken ribs...punctured lung...no tape either. They said they wanted me to cough and often..OUCH...with lots of big deep breaths...again big OUCH. Generally they don't suggest taping so much anymore because they want the lungs to not be bound or limited. More important to get the gunk out (if there is any).
I'm an RN and I agree with Pugsy.

jwerley

Post by jwerley » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:41 pm

Jim...Just my two cents for what it is worth...why not go to the ER and get checked out...You don't know for sure what injuries you have until you get checked......get treatment, meds, etc...so you can be comfortable in bed with your cpap on..You sound like you want to be tough and getting treatment right away would be akin to being weak. NOT A GOOD IDEA TO GO WITHOUT YOUR CPAP!!!

Good luck and take care,
Janice

Last edited by jwerley on Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He who understands you is greater kin to you than your own brother. For even your own kindred may neither understand you nor know your true worth."
Kahlil Gibran

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Tough guys die first.
There's no shame in survival.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:46 pm

insylem wrote:
Goofproof wrote:Tonite I spend the nite in a recliner without pap. About 4p.m., I missed a couple of stairs going down to my basement, almost took out the wall. I turned while falling to lessen the blow. I have been having back problems for months, besides hurting it worse, I think it broke a lower rib in the back. So we are going to sleep uprite, if at all.

This is the third rib break so far, twice at work, never seen a doctor, never lost time from work, just take the pain, at least now I don't have to work thru it. So far no sign of anything
leaking. I have a doctor appt on the 25th, if I can make it I will check with him.

Always another bump on the road to life. Jim

Wait I'm confused.
You don't go to the Dr for a broken rib.
But you go for sleep apnea?
The doctors don't have a pill for broken ribs, just pain meds and duct tape. As long as you're not bleeding or leaking inside you have to mend yourself. For Sleep Apnea I have found treatment to be less of a issue, just do it, right. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:08 pm

UPDATE: Life goes on, I forced myself to go to bed at 3am, my normal time. I spent a close to normal nite with cpap, this morning I was able to get out of the bed, the pain is much better, so I suspect the rib isn't broken after all. Thanks for the best wishes, looks like I got a pass this time, in a week I will be as bad as new. Jim

So my cpap use is unbroken still 7 years and counting, not unlike my 25 years in surface mining 25 years with no lost time accident.

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:18 pm

Glad to see you're still amongst the living, Jim.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Den

Papit

Post by Papit » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:00 pm

Jim, hang in there.

Last edited by Papit on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:11 pm

Goofproof wrote:Tonite I spend the nite in a recliner without pap. About 4p.m., I missed a couple of stairs going down to my basement, almost took out the wall. I turned while falling to lessen the blow. I have been having back problems for months, besides hurting it worse, I think it broke a lower rib in the back. So we are going to sleep uprite, if at all.

This is the third rib break so far, twice at work, never seen a doctor, never lost time from work, just take the pain, at least now I don't have to work thru it. So far no sign of anything
leaking. I have a doctor appt on the 25th, if I can make it I will check with him.

Always another bump on the road to life. Jim
Comment,

The most important aspect of the fall is that your head and the brain inside is still functioning. All the rest can be fixed. My friend who used to be an air conditioning engineer fell downstairs in a basement and hit his head. For the last decade he can't balance himself while walking. Can't not work anymore.

joeyjernigan

Post by joeyjernigan » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:46 am

Pugsy wrote:8 broken ribs...punctured lung...no tape either. They said they wanted me to cough and often..OUCH...with lots of big deep breaths...again big OUCH. Generally they don't suggest taping so much anymore because they want the lungs to not be bound or limited. More important to get the gunk out (if there is any).
I was in a car accident and broke 3 ribs. The doctor told me they would not wrap the ribs because it restricts movement and would cause problems. Me like a smart guy wrapped them anyway because it felt better and was less painful. Guess what? I got a nasty case of pnuemonia.

gasp

Post by gasp » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:50 am

Goofproof wrote:UPDATE: Life goes on, I forced myself to go to bed at 3am, my normal time. I spent a close to normal nite with cpap, this morning I was able to get out of the bed, the pain is much better, so I suspect the rib isn't broken after all. Thanks for the best wishes, looks like I got a pass this time, in a week I will be as bad as new. Jim

So my cpap use is unbroken still 7 years and counting, not unlike my 25 years in surface mining 25 years with no lost time accident.
4 days later - how's it going? Congratulations on your 25 years of no accidents in what I imagine is a high accident profession. Your hard work is commendable!

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:32 pm

gasp wrote:
Goofproof wrote:UPDATE: Life goes on, I forced myself to go to bed at 3am, my normal time. I spent a close to normal nite with cpap, this morning I was able to get out of the bed, the pain is much better, so I suspect the rib isn't broken after all. Thanks for the best wishes, looks like I got a pass this time, in a week I will be as bad as new. Jim

4 days later - how's it going? Congratulations on your 25 years of no accidents in what I imagine is a high accident profession. Your hard work is commendable!
No lasting effects, stopped Advil 3 Gel Tabs after 48 hours, pain levels are normal for me. Did go to Dr. on the 25th, A1C 8.2 weight 16 lb higher in 3 mo, not good at all.

I need a lifestyle change, or maybe a life. I have given up most things I love to do in life, looks like food is next. Not really, you have to draw a line somewhere! Jim

roster

Post by roster » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:51 pm

Jim, That is scary. I am not one to pray the saints our of heaven but I do hope you stay around a lot longer and find some little joys in life. The little ones are the best anyway. All the best.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:04 pm

Hi Goof, I must have missed your post but so glad you're recovering WITHOUT a visit to the ER! Take care of yourself.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:35 pm

Oh Jim, so sorry to hear about your accident. Sounds scary. I have always been "clumsy" falling downs stairs and even up stairs (don't even ask how that is accomplished but it can be done). It is the running joke in the family that I can fall over "air". Thankfully no broken bones.

Please take care of yourself. We need you around here.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

gasp

Post by gasp » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:04 pm

Regarding your comment, "I need a lifestyle change, or maybe a life. I have given up most things I love to do in life, looks like food is next. Not really, you have to draw a line somewhere!" . . .

I don't know if this will help but I sincerely hope so. As a lifetime student of fitness I was thin most of my left except after taking fertility meds which put me in the position of having to look at food differently and the hard job of losing the 60 pounds of weight I had gained on the medication in a short three months. I can now empathize with others that have to lose. That's the upside.

Anyway, I learned to love the food that nourished me and also helped me to lose. I cherished it that it existed and that I didn't have to starve to lose. I learned to embrace those foods knowing that when I hit my maintenance weight I could incorporate more of the foods that brought me pleasure previously in my life. It took YEARS to lose all the weight and then I began the exciting journey of achieving even more fitness than I had previously. I decided to put my physical health ahead of all other goals but not at the expense of friends and family.

So, what I'm saying is it's not about the pounds on the scale either now or in the end as it is about the wellness journey. By embracing all that contributes to health, both your body and mind can reward you with feeling better than you ever imagined. I have a 78 year old neighbor who fell and broke her hip and who then did the rehab. When she exhausted her benefits she joined a gym and got a trainer. She now not only walks without a walker, but without a cane. Yesterday when visiting she told me that she knows she will never line dance or hike again, but she can pull down 70 pounds in the gym! She then showed us her biceps : ) This woman is so awesome.

I wish you the best on your journey : ))