My first nite without pap, in 7 years

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Goofproof

My first nite without pap, in 7 years

Post by Goofproof » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:31 pm

Tonite I spend the nite in a recliner without pap. About 4p.m., I missed a couple of stairs going down to my basement, almost took out the wall. I turned while falling to lessen the blow. I have been having back problems for months, besides hurting it worse, I think it broke a lower rib in the back. So we are going to sleep uprite, if at all.

This is the third rib break so far, twice at work, never seen a doctor, never lost time from work, just take the pain, at least now I don't have to work thru it. So far no sign of anything
leaking. I have a doctor appt on the 25th, if I can make it I will check with him.

Always another bump on the road to life. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

RogerSC

Re: My first nite without pap, in 7 years

Post by RogerSC » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:35 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about the mishaps and physical problems. Take care of yourself and heal.
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Philips Respironics Dreamwear nasal mask

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:42 pm

RogerSC wrote:I'm so sorry to hear about the mishaps and physical problems. Take care of yourself and heal.
I have lived my life as if I was bulletproof for the most part I was. Now as age is added in as a factor, I find that even papercuts can be deadly. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:00 pm

Jim,

I am also sorry to hear about your accident. Why can't you bring the machine to your recliner so you do not have to go without it? Is there a problem in using it with possible broken ribs? Just wondering...

Prayers for a quick recovery!

John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:08 pm

2 B Sleeping Soundly wrote:Jim,

I am also sorry to hear about your accident. Why can't you bring the machine to your recliner so you do not have to go without it? Is there a problem in using it with possible broken ribs? Just wondering...

Prayers for a quick recovery

John
Just the pain from moving, it's not worth it. Tomorrow will probably be worse, the it may start to get better. When I was working it took forever to mend because , my job was extremely physical, no way to make it easier. Hoping to use the bed soon, but for now I'm not going to chance it, getting down and not being able to get up. Jim

kteague

Post by kteague » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:38 am

Hope you feel better soon Jim. Just the thought of falling on stairs is scary! Take care.
Kathy

insylem

Post by insylem » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:12 am

Goofproof wrote:Tonite I spend the nite in a recliner without pap. About 4p.m., I missed a couple of stairs going down to my basement, almost took out the wall. I turned while falling to lessen the blow. I have been having back problems for months, besides hurting it worse, I think it broke a lower rib in the back. So we are going to sleep uprite, if at all.

This is the third rib break so far, twice at work, never seen a doctor, never lost time from work, just take the pain, at least now I don't have to work thru it. So far no sign of anything
leaking. I have a doctor appt on the 25th, if I can make it I will check with him.

Always another bump on the road to life. Jim

Wait I'm confused.
You don't go to the Dr for a broken rib.
But you go for sleep apnea?

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:30 am

Broken ribs normally heal on their own, but if you have osteoporosis (and a lot more men than we've credited do have it) then that needs addressing asap.

sylvie

Post by sylvie » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:53 am

I would be dead if I didn't use my PAP. I've used the PAP many times in the recliner. I use a cervical collar to keep my mouth shut and it works. I think you should just force yourself to bring the PAP to the chair. The thought of not having it kills me.
Avoid tooth extractions (including wisdom teeth) & train-track braces; find a functional orthodontist at http://iaortho.org/.

Pad A Cheek
Location: Virginia, In the shadow of the Blue Ridge Mountains

Post by Pad A Cheek » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:50 am

I am sorry you are dealing with this Goofproof. Any kind of pain in breathing can make sleeping harder too. I wish you a speedy recovery and less pain than last time in healing your broken rib. I hope you can get back on the PAP as soon as possible. We want to keep you around for a long long time.

Karen

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:18 am

Jim
I found that taping helped with a broken rib. By taping all he way round it helps lessen those sudden movements you make and it doesn't hurt as bad. I got rammed by a colt...chest to chest...hurt like the """""""""""""""""""""""""""" .
Breathing even hurt............Jim, I REALLY feel for you.
Get well soon.
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:12 am

I broke my ribs (3 of them) when I had pneumonia. They told me not to tape or wear a rib belt as you don't ventilate as well which can cause or worsen pneumonia. Anyway, they did an intercostal nerve block with marcaine (long acting lidocaine) and steroids and it was a miracle for me. I'd ask your doctor about it and make an appointment to see him soon, there can certainly be complications to broken ribs...like pneumonia and you don't want that.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:21 am

8 broken ribs...punctured lung...no tape either. They said they wanted me to cough and often..OUCH...with lots of big deep breaths...again big OUCH. Generally they don't suggest taping so much anymore because they want the lungs to not be bound or limited. More important to get the gunk out (if there is any).

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

fm1520

Post by fm1520 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:30 am

why without the pap?

REMstar Pro C-Flex +

gasp

Post by gasp » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:17 pm

Jim, I'm so sorry to hear you're in pain. Do you know anyone who would kick your butt if you didn't ask for help when you need it? Give them a call. Is your breathing OK other than hurting when you expand your lungs? Wanting to make certain you haven't punctured a lung.

Hope you feel better really soon!